• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Online Tackle

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I usually buy my rods, reels etc from online shops that also have shops you can go to. If I buy via Fleabay or Amazonian; I always check them out as some of the prices vary considerably.
It will be interesting to hear what other people do/thoughts etc.

I ordered some stuff from Fishdeal (Netherlands) but the order is taking a while to get here. They were quick last year. I'll not speculate why :rolleyes:

I tend to use Veals a lot for terminal tackle,quick and efficient and i`ve yet to have problem with them,for reel parts always Russ at Blakdog because he knows what he`s about and doesn`t try to sell you the dearest option if there`s another that suits the purpose.The Island has a thriving community selling used fishing gear so there is a constant market of recycling...Alan

Gerrys of Morecombe have been quick to deliver and were good on price for what I was after.

I've used Veals, Gerrys and Basstastic for a few terminal bits over the years. Postage has always been fairly quick and I've not had any problems with any of them.
One thing I always do now if shopping online, not just for fishing gear, is to search Google for the item as it's surprising how much some items prices vary, and where the cheapest places are... We recently wanted some bottles for our little one and to my surprise, John Lewis was the cheapest (approx half the price of anywhere else. Including the usual popular amazon and eBay. Though I don't use amazon after two bad experiences with my only two purchases off there).

I try to actually see something first and then search the internet for the cheapest place.
But will also buy from local (to me at coast) tackle shop

I can understand people buying local... which is fine IF you have local! My nearest is about 35km and caters mainly for carp fishing so what's the point. On top of that if you really look at the economics I am out of pocket for fuel if they don't have what I really want and if they don't you end up buying something because you have just wasted 5l of diesel :LOL:
My eyes have been opened a bit after being in talks with someone who has a deal of experience buying off Ali Express. I am going to give them a try without leaving my living room. If I think I have bought a lot of shite I won't go back however my first foray buying five lures will be not much more than the cost of one full price Patchinko lure ... I am not breaking the bank :LOL: and when I take into account that the del and packing is free it is much less the diesel would have been €6 .

I too buy most if not all of my gear online. Used the usual channels; ebay, amazon etc. Also AliExpress to very good effect...just ordered a down jacket so will see how that goes.
I also used a company in Spain...WaveInn... never again! Bought two Nomura reels...only one arrived and the other box had just the spare spool. They said it was opened somewhere in the post so they were not responsible and ended up not giving me any money back. Would recommend you don't bother with them.

I can only get a few bits within about half an hours drive. It is really then just an online option for most things. Last purchase was a load of leads from Dustybins.

Shopping local is great if you can but I totally get that many people are nowhere near a decent local shop.

Until he retired and closed down I used one shop for most things and all ‘big ticket’ items and he’d happily order it if he didn’t have it.
For the sake of saving £10 or £20 once you take postage into account, I’d rather he got that money than some online company.

What I do think is out of order is when people spend 20 minutes playing with a rod or reel in a shop, then go home and order it online, for the sake of a few quid.
By all means offer the shop a chance to price match if you must, but even then, if they knock £20/30 off something, by the time you knock postage costs off, you’re not saving much.
And that extra £20 might well pay for itself in customer service in the years ahead, when he opens up at 9pm to sell you a bit of bait or urgently needed piece of tackle.

Of course, it cuts both ways - some shops charge silly retail prices compared to online so they need to meet their customers in the middle.

And as I say, I realise not everyone has a local shop worth using, but if you do, please consider them.

If I am somewhere, on holiday for example, I will try and get a few bits and pieces in a local shop if there is one. It will mostly be terminal tackle or lures/spinners. Mind you, that can mount up in price too if you are in a one of them, one of them, one of them, some of those kind of mood.?

Tackle wise have used Veals mail order.
But have just used Angling Direct but a bit slow on delivery. Never been to Angling Direct but there are 2 within 7 miles of me.
Local tackle shops just seem to be carp.
For rods & reels I would use any of the shops mentioned. Also Tony's Tackle.

Shopping local is great if you can but I totally get that many people are nowhere near a decent local shop.

Until he retired and closed down I used one shop for most things and all ‘big ticket’ items and he’d happily order it if he didn’t have it.
For the sake of saving £10 or £20 once you take postage into account, I’d rather he got that money than some online company.

What I do think is out of order is when people spend 20 minutes playing with a rod or reel in a shop, then go home and order it online, for the sake of a few quid.
By all means offer the shop a chance to price match if you must, but even then, if they knock £20/30 off something, by the time you knock postage costs off, you’re not saving much.
And that extra £20 might well pay for itself in customer service in the years ahead, when he opens up at 9pm to sell you a bit of bait or urgently needed piece of tackle.

Of course, it cuts both ways - some shops charge silly retail prices compared to online so they need to meet their customers in the middle.

And as I say, I realise not everyone has a local shop worth using, but if you do, please consider them.
A number of online and actual shops that sell online often send for free, or only charge what the postage/courier charges.

A number of online and actual shops that sell online often send for free, or only charge what the postage/courier charges.
True, there are lots of good postage rates now.

Rightly or wrongly, my former shop never sold online, and it’s those sort of more traditional shops that I was talking about really.
I’d still rather they got a bit of extra money than me sending my money to the other end of the country.

But as I said, I know that’s not an option for many of us these days, me included.

I don't get out fishing as much as I would like due to health issues and shielding from Covid, and as for buying tackle, I tend to buy online (been buying far too much recently!) as it saves me going out & into a shop (Covid risk), saves petrol, and saves parking fees. I have bought quite a lot from local shops that have an online store, and also bought from shops not so local - just had a delivery from Veals. There are a lot of good tackle shops with stores on eBay - Veals, Gerrys, Basstastic, Jims online (Cornwall), and one guy who I have had really great service from, Kev Ash. He does a lot of hooks and rig making bits at fair prices, fast service, and always chucks in a little free gift!
I've also just received a great quality seatbox cushion and a tripod net from cgrBikeGear - both items are top quality and handmade to order in the UK, lots of different size cushions available. Not fast delivery, as they are made to order but worth the wait. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cgrbikeg...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I also have brought some beads off him.

I don't get out fishing as much as I would like due to health issues and shielding from Covid, and as for buying tackle, I tend to buy online (been buying far too much recently!) as it saves me going out & into a shop (Covid risk), saves petrol, and saves parking fees. I have bought quite a lot from local shops that have an online store, and also bought from shops not so local - just had a delivery from Veals. There are a lot of good tackle shops with stores on eBay - Veals, Gerrys, Basstastic, Jims online (Cornwall), and one guy who I have had really great service from, Kev Ash. He does a lot of hooks and rig making bits at fair prices, fast service, and always chucks in a little free gift!
I've also just received a great quality seatbox cushion and a tripod net from cgrBikeGear - both items are top quality and handmade to order in the UK, lots of different size cushions available. Not fast delivery, as they are made to order but worth the wait. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cgrbikegear/m.html?item=333531000478&var=542897088976&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
Not come across CGR Bike Gear before. What a cracking little company, making useful stuff in the UK. I applaud them and have bookmarked them to buy from when the need arises, whether it's for fishing or for biking!

I tend to get from both local and online where I need specific stuff.
As above, use Veals as goto online retailer... Always had cracking service from them. ?

Back