• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Orkney Orkney questions .

The Third Earl

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Once again I will be visiting Orkney in July . I have been three times and know a couple of shore marks , The Barriers , the big pier at Kirkwall and Hoxa head, but am looking to broaden my horizons a bit , could anybody on here advise on other locations ?
I dont mind a bit of rock scrambling and heights dont bother me so cliff marks are ok.

I know there are shore anglers on Orkney but in the 3 visits I have had I have never even seen anybody chucking lead but me .

Any snippets of information would be welcome .

Many thanks

David

I've been to Orkney three times but not recently and always found the shore fishing to be very disappointing, but I have found a few fish. The most success I had was at Garthna Geo on the west coast south of Yesnaby. Walk south from the end of the Yesnaby road past Yesnaby Castle stack to reach the geo. You can get down onto a big sloping ledge on the south side of the bay. I fished there a couple of times and had pollack to just over 4lbs and a few coalfish. I've recommended the mark to a couple of people over the years and they've tried the mark with zero success so I may just have been lucky. As it's on the Atlantic coast it's a very dangerous area if there's any swell. If you fancy bait fishing from the cliff tops there are some good looking spots around that stretch of coast.

I had a good day spinning for coalfish at the Point of Hellia near the Broch of Gurness with light tackle with plenty of fish to about a pound.

Another area which looked interesting was around the Gloup north of Skaill in Deerness. I went there to fish one day but was forced off the rocks by heavy rain which made the sloping rocks treacherous.

It's not a lot of information but I hope it helps.

My brother is for for a trip there soon and asking me about the fishing there but I've never sea fished north of Watford so if any of you can help I'll pass it on to try and put him on the fish thanks

The site gives links to the orkney sea angling club. Not explored it yet.

Thanks guys but I am well up on the chartering in Orkney , in fact our club features in the link you have provided .
It is shore based angling that I am a bit light on info.
I have since posting managed to identify with help about 16 different spots around the mainland , sand and rock marks so hopefully should have plenty to explore .

Dave

Oh Well, after the booked Ferry crashing into Swona, and being put out of action, and the following panic to get an alternative crossing , we arrived on Saturday,it was blowing a hoolie. On Sunday, blowing a Hoolie, Monday all quiet but boat trip is Tuesday. Forecast for Tuesday is pant….. blowing a Hoolie and the same for the rest of the week. Looks like the clubs Orkney summer trip this year has been scuppered by high winds and Atlantic swells.

Some things are just not meant to be , if anybody has a reliable crystal ball going begging please forward it to me, because this year I need it.

Dave

Back