• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Other types

Never tried game fishing. Well, not legally 😬
Did you know rainbows love squid strip? 😬😬

Used to coarse fish a fair bit but not been for years. Am tempted to start again but never seems to be time.
Not carping, cba with that but the nearest river to me with any significant coarse fish is the Culm I believe and tempted to try that at some point.

Will need to assess what gear I’ve got that’s still usable, replace some I’m sure and obviously licenses etc.
And find the time 🙄

Started as a kid of six years old catching brown trout from a local stream, then gravitated to local lakes and rivers for the usual coarse fish. My dad was an occasional angler and had exclusive grandfather rights to fish a large lake on a country estate, which by default, I also was allowed to fish. Sadly with my father long since gone, this option is no longer available to me.

Caught the sea (shore) fishing bug from my dad who used to night fish on our camping holidays at Norman’s Bay near Eastbourne. I was always amazed and intrigued by the variety and number of fish he managed to catch, bearing in mind he was using a home made bamboo rod with a centrepin reel and probably didn’t cast any farther than about 25 yards or so.

Joined a local coarse fishing club when my two boys were small and introduced them to the sport which they both still enjoy, although like me, their interest lies mainly in sea fishing, from both boat and and shore.
I am now heading inexorably toward my dotage and whilst currently my focus remains on sea fishing, I will in the not too distant future be looking to join a local club for some decent coarse fishing, as whilst in recent years not partaking of it regularly, I feel it will still allow me to scratch the itch, without the expense entailed and need to travel so far, particularly when out on a boat trip.

Pretty sure I’ll still be drowning worms in the briny for a while yet, but the river bank is beckoning.
Cheers for now, Bob.

All sorts for me aswell . This last year had big carp, pike , barbel , chub , 7lbs pb eel etc as well as some bass to 5lbs rays , smoothies into doubles from the sea.
So yeah do most types. Game not often but have caught plenty of trout and a few seatrout before, Never caught a salmon though.
I managed to catch salmon on the Teifi (West Wales) after dark, also plenty in BC Canada using my fly rod. Didn't catch any flies though :unsure:

Last edited:
I know most anglers tend to stick to one of fishing , Sea, Coarse, Game etc. so I am just wondering how many on here do other types of fishing as well or would such a thing be considered a mortal sin ?
Sea, fly for bass and sea trout, lure bass sea trout, chub, perch, pike, coarse and carp. May have a go kayaking this year as well.

Sea, fly for bass and sea trout, lure bass sea trout, chub, perch, pike, coarse and carp. May have a go kayaking this year as well.
Hope you can swim, Goose

I would love to be able to fly fish, Looks such a graceful way of fishing but for over 35yrs iv suffered from Bass fever it shows no sign of leaving me im afraid. I believe it can be a lifelong condition.

Can always try fly fishing for bass......

I know most anglers tend to stick to one of fishing , Sea, Coarse, Game etc. so I am just wondering how many on here do other types of fishing as well or would such a thing be considered a mortal sin ?

River flyfishing for trout, still water flyfishing for trout, lure in the sea, bait in the sea, carp off the top in summer with fly or bait. Probably other stuff too... I hope it's not a mortal sin, or I'm in some considerable trouble.

Boat charters, wrecking or rough ground mainly , wIth uptiding for Cod, or perhaps Tope in the summer . I also like fishing for Gilts . Mackie bashing is always very enjoyable for about ten mins .
Beach for ,well anything really but mainly Cod and Bass.

Freshwater … mainly Barbel using vintage tackle… bean poles and Centrepins . I also love fishing for Tench, Carp come along fairly regularly but only on mixed species venues as an accidental catch . Carp ponds or what they call “Runs Venues” leave me cold. Stocked Mud Pigs no matter their size are for people who dont know how to fish properly.

Fluff chucking ….. all the gear and no idea, although I can cast a fly far enough to catch Bass which for me is better than catching a Trout .

Lures… again Bass mostly, then the odd Canal Perch for a half hour when I have nothing better to do . I like vertical jigging for Pollack , which imo is not really lure fishing , more like using a chrome bar pirk than a lure .

Sea Match fishing in any form is a no no. I used to fish on a National level in many boat matches having been one of a Winning team, and placed many times. When species only matches came along I threw in the towel . Not interested in catching tiddlers for prizes. Grown men waxing lyrical and wetting themselves about a three inch Poor cod, or getting desperate to catch a mini Wrasse to get a 3 point bonus is something I cant , and will not ever be the slightest bit interested in .
Life is too short, I would rather collect stamps.

Dave

Id really like to try fly fishing would you fish estuary mouth and marinas for bass? Does the water have to be flat or very calm?
Fly fishing for mullet is great sport, they go like trains when hooked. The same for sea trout and salmon.

Sea for me. Preferably boat. Inshore for Bass on lures, offshore for Tope, Bream etc. Annual Shetland charter for the Cod, Haddock, Coalie, etc. Big Game fishing for Marlin, Tuna, etc. Shire fishing when I’m bored, mostly lure fishing for bass these days. Not done it for a while but maybe try for a few shore caught Tope this year.

Sea for me. Preferably boat. Inshore for Bass on lures, offshore for Tope, Bream etc. Annual Shetland charter for the Cod, Haddock, Coalie, etc. Big Game fishing for Marlin, Tuna, etc. Shire fishing when I’m bored, mostly lure fishing for bass these days. Not done it for a while but maybe try for a few shore caught Tope this year.
What’s wrong with the other counties?

You don't get many in Brum from Canal boats. ;)

Back