• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Out on fishy robs boat lure fishing for plaice !

Vinny

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Well , had to have a go at this , cracking bloke known him years ago .
Brighton marina for a 2pm flood , shot out for bass on rubber shads but no joy after a few drifts , so moved and went for squid , bit of a weird day as there werent a lot of tide and flat as can be , only one on board so we moved off for plaice.
Tbh i weren't sure what to expect but vertical jigging with assist hooks and a 3ft trace / isome ragworm looked quite amusing to start with , drop it on the deck and tap away ....
So , everyone expecting the fish on the imitation rag , no , all on the 30g jigs , wtf ???.
Rob landed the best ones , experience pays off i suppose , 50cm ish, nice thick ones .
Great day out with a top class skipper , if your after something different, give this a go .
Cant recommend him enough !

Nice! Did try for them once in Norway on imitation rag the Norwegian guide gave me that looked the business, but didn’t have a touch.
Then again it wasn’t an established plaice mark, it was an experiment while waiting for the halibut to bite.

(Not that we had any of those that day either ?)

That sounds a great day out!
Never heard of fishing for plaice like that's but certainly sounds like it works well.
What sort of lures/jigs were you using?

30g blue metals with assist hooks about 40mm long , off with the bottom hook , on with the 2 to 3ft trace, ,i thought i knew best and tried without the trace and used the jig with a single bottom hook but after a few unhooked hits decided that the assist hooks were effective as they must have been hitting it on the drop! Live and learn eh !

Attachments

• 16190395197781601665691491771381.jpg
    16190395197781601665691491771381.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Fascinating stuff boi Vinny, it's been running around my brain ever since you rang earlier. I knew Plaice were primarily sight feeders, but would never have thought they'd chase something like that. As you say, we live and learn. ?

30g blue metals with assist hooks about 40mm long , off with the bottom hook , on with the 2 to 3ft trace, ,i thought i knew best and tried without the trace and used the jig with a single bottom hook but after a few unhooked hits decided that the assist hooks were effective as they must have been hitting it on the drop! Live and learn eh !
Thanks for that.
As sole intentions says it's fascinating stuff!
Well done again, it really does sound an amazing day.

Nice fishing!!! The flatfish we catch may/june are often stuffed with tiny sandeels even dover sole.

Sound's very interesting! A few questions if I may - the trace you talk of is that coming off the jig and has an isome rag on the end? What style retrieve? Just lift and drop? How far? What sort of depth and ground are you over? What tackle did you use? Apologies for the 3rd degree but I'm fascinated as I've never fished lures for plaice!

This is what would be ideal.
40g lure rod , 4000 style fixed spool , 30g jigpara as shown, this needs to be heavy enough to feel the jig tapping on the bottom , small lift and drop and fairly quick , 6 inch maybe , all about plumes of sound and simulating prey fish burying itself.
The drift was in depths from 25 to 50ft, and yes the trace was off the end of the jig,
Lots of people cant get there head round assist hooks on metals including me but there's quite a few good short vids , albeit in Japanese , from zetz, basically if a metals dropping through the water ( like a lead weight) and something chases it down its going to strike the end with the mainline attached despite how the lure actually looks, (you would expect lures like the jigpara shown to sink head end first , some types do some types dont ) which is where the assist hooks come in simples really.
I only had the smaller fish on the boat but even 1lb size plaice on the lure rods pull the string , you wont be dissapointed.
Hth

Last edited:
Thanks Vinny ? I was thinking you had a hook with isome coming off the jig and that the jig made the disturbance/ vibration/attraction but they took the isome. We have some plaice marks here on the Fylde so I'll give it a go from the boat at some point. Always good to learn new tricks:cool:

Back