• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Past few trips

Live in hope

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Just a catch up on the break near watchet and how the fishing is going. Arrived Friday to a cracking cottage and views down the valley. Really quiet with nothing but chickens and pheasants giving it some volume. Threw my bag etc in the room a coffee and flask made and left them to it as I made my way to a high water mark. To say it was slow with plenty on weed about with the big tides. To cut a cold eve short heat the blank thanks to a doggie but nice to be out. Saturday afternoon saw me fir my stupidity making my way out onto the reefs for low tide. The wind was blowing onshore and the water had plenty of rubbish in it and the odd tree one of which gave me a screamer of a run in a one sided battle ? as the tide eased I started getting a few knocks and a small codling took pity on my crab bait. After paying my dues to the fishing gods in the form of leads and a few rigs they repaid me with another codling of approx a pound and half and the ever elusive doggies of five on the bounce before it went quiet and it was time to make a move. Monday a change of plan due to forecast saw me fishing the tide up for four hours to high. First cast a small thornie followed by a dime dogs before another welcome thornie. Another dog and weather coming in more time to wrap for a day. Although not stunning fishing and the crab rod basically bite less it’s still nice to be back up here fishing. A couple of pics to show the fish are real well the rays ? refuse to take one of dogs and fishfinger codling ?

Attachments

• 72CBA93C-DF9F-4E18-9DAF-49CA6BB94834.jpeg
    72CBA93C-DF9F-4E18-9DAF-49CA6BB94834.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 71CC1387-2741-496A-A67E-1975841EE05A.jpeg
    71CC1387-2741-496A-A67E-1975841EE05A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Nice ray mate shame you didn’t hit the hounds bud but you didn’t blank so happy days ma Butey ?

Sounds like a reasonable weekend to me, nice write up chap

Nice ray mate shame you didn’t hit the hounds bud but you didn’t blank so happy days ma Butey ?
The hounds are still few and far between by all accounts up here still but I stand corrected if anyone knows different ? looking at the rest of the week I think I can get a couple more trips in so will post the results of gear lost and try and get through the dogs and small ray. ?

Nice report. The hounds are in and out like a flash! Ideally you need the sea to calm a bit, with the first hour of flood in the evening. There were a number caught over the weekend but in a small window. The weather forecast isn't ideal, fingers crossed for it to settle. Concentrate on that first push around low. Or the last hour of flood over high.

Like anywhere right time and place help and no point chasing them it seldom works. Got a couple of sessions left with Thursday probably a good chance but if not I’m sure the ray baits will be getting a bit of interest. Know a few come out but like squid said there are there and gone in flash. Also not far to travel for day sessions later in the month. Just good to be out and no tinsel flying past your ear as a makkie was spotted in front of you ?

Back