• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

PB cod

steveoNUFC

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Fishing South shields beach in the north east of England 2 nights ago i caught my shore pb 8lb 1oz, although it felt like double figures with weed. Believe it or not it took ragworm tipped with mackerel on a 2 hook flapper, single 2/0 mustard Viking. Not sure for the rest of the coastal marks in the uk but catching cod has become somewhat allusive in the north east.

Attachments

• IMG-20220204-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20220204-WA0006.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220205_150439.jpg
    20220205_150439.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 27
Proper job Welldone mate!!!

Well done Steve! Nice report, nice Fish, and good photos. ????

The numbers from the shore up here the last 5+ years have been terrible, best catches from our coast seem to be in the region of 2/3lb and you've got to put the time in.

The numbers from the shore up here the last 5+ years have been terrible, best catches from our coast seem to be in the region of 2/3lb and you've got to put the time in.
My local codling venue is the south bank of the Humber. I admit to not going fishing that often in the winter but a couple on here do and they have had an awful season. Following reports on Faceache too, it seems that a blank is the most likely result….

Fishing South shields beach in the north east of England 2 nights ago i caught my shore pb 8lb 1oz, although it felt like double figures with weed. Believe it or not it took ragworm tipped with mackerel on a 2 hook flapper, single 2/0 mustard Viking. Not sure for the rest of the coastal marks in the uk but catching cod has become somewhat allusive in the north east.
Beauty Steve well done ??

That's a nice Piggy.Was the norm a few years ago but sadly a rare event these days.Holderness Coast does manage to throw one or two up throughout the year and as mentioned The Humber can hold some decent fish if you are lucky enough to latch on to one.

Are there any big ones left?
I can remember fishing the pipe at Lilstock in the late 70s, early 80s, a hard, frosty morning and no wind. Giant ragworm from Hinkley point for bait.
I caught 3 cod. 25lb 3oz, 12lb 9oz and 6lb 4 oz. I lost one that i reckon was bigger still when it snagged me on the grating on the end of the pipe.

little bit before my time but i agree there's 90% less on size fish in the sea since the mid 90s....
I phoned the friend that was with me, he reckons it was early 1980, the year before the storm surge that hit the Somerset coast and destroyed the fish farm at hinkley point, the cooling pump for the power station was damaged and had to shut down. It might be coincidence but when we lost the giant rag from the fish farm outfall we also lost the big cod. A ragworm as thick as your finger and 12" long makes a mighty good bait. I don't think I had another double after that. We lost the cod and big whiting, decent conger. Now we have straps and thornbacks and schoolie bass. Not even dogfish in decent numbers.

I phoned the friend that was with me, he reckons it was early 1980, the year before the storm surge that hit the Somerset coast and destroyed the fish farm at hinkley point, the cooling pump for the power station was damaged and had to shut down. It might be coincidence but when we lost the giant rag from the fish farm outfall we also lost the big cod. A ragworm as thick as your finger and 12" long makes a mighty good bait. I don't think I had another double after that. We lost the cod and big whiting, decent conger. Now we have straps and thornbacks and schoolie bass. Not even dogfish in decent numbers.
Waters too clean,sewage pipes were fishing hotspots,warm water outlets etc it is illegal for us to dump fish guts and frames in the harbour,when we were allowed to,there were more crabs,prawns,mini species and baby fish!!!!!! I've heard that when coal dust was turning the sea black in some places the fishing was good!!

Back