• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn 515 Mag 4 Multiplier

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone have any views on the reel, no I don't use fixed spool reels for beach casting.

Most of the reviews on the mag 4s are negative to many plastic bits that break , they look nice tho . Go for a fathom 12 or 15 there a much stronger reel and not alot more expensive.
Thanks will check them out (y)

i have fathoms 12 and 15 good reels can run fast if you want or slow . for me the 12 holds less line about 200 mtrs so it ok for most beach fishing as long its not sharks that run , the 15 holds more line to handle fish that will run tope sort of fish , low reel to rod , straight out of box they can cast ok , clean the grease out of them much better . good drag on reel .

Anyone have any views on the reel, no I don't use fixed spool reels for beach casting.

Ok, they are not as good as the mk1.
They are nowhere near as good as a fathom.

They are ok.
If you fish once a month, chances are they will serve you well.

Personally, I'd get a fathom.

Not heard anything positive about them if I'm honest.
I like the fathoms and have a lot of them. Veals did some good deals in their sales...so I tended to grab a pair when they did.
Most of mine are magged and run pretty well and all mk1.

I will add that the original ones, are definitely more corrosion resistant than the later ones....they must have changed the paint process....they definitely need washing with fresh water and drying after a salt session... preferably adding a protective coating spray....WD40+PTFE ect

I like the fathoms and have a lot of them. Veals did some good deals in their sales...so I tended to grab a pair when they did.

I will add that the original ones, are definitely more corrosion resistant than the later ones....they must have changed the paint process....they definitely need washing with fresh water and drying after a salt session... preferably adding a protective coating spray....WD40+PTFE ect
I prefer the mk2s because of the massively improved mag control, the mk2s are almost silent when you cast. The Mk1s will always have that fragility because of the mono mag not being factory.

I prefer the mk2s because of the massively improved mag control, the mk2s are almost silent when you cast. The Mk1s will always have that fragility because of the mono mag not being factory.
You may be right Pete, but I'm still using the first ones they brought out....still going fine with mono mags and decent bearings.👍

They’re designed to corrode and look loved, lol.

My reels probably get a wash about once a year if I remember to think about it 😂😂😂

The Fathom II SD's are nice reels, i have three of the 12's.
The problem with Penn, and other makes is down to Pure Fishing, once they get there hands on a company, it generally means the quality is shite. JMO.

Ian.

Back