• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn fathom 2 casting special

philthefish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well received my anyfish 6 n bait today along with my penn casting special popped reel on the road doesn't really give a secure fit when you do the screw up on the reel seat it's down to the last bit of thread on the seat
Not sure how to overcome this other than using coaster any ideas guys ?

Pipe winch fittings can be a bit fussy with fairly flat reel seats, particularly some of the Fuji copies. Often the bigger bore they are the more pronounced it can be. Tape as recommended above, or a bit of bicycle inner tube or cricket bat grip cut to fit under the feel foot. You can also make yourself thumb grip to prevent spool slip when power casting using the same material. I prefer the cricket bat grip as it doesn't leave any residue on the line.

VMO should have checked it before posting rather than just picking off the shelf. Poor service imo.
If the rod manufacturer uses an unsuitable reel fitting it's hardly the fault of Veals!

It's a minefield when it comes to reel fittings as there is so much variation in reel seat dimensions these days it would be impossible to make a reel seat that would literally fit every reel out there.

If the rod manufacturer uses an unsuitable reel fitting it's hardly the fault of Veals!

It's a minefield when it comes to reel fittings as there is so much variation in reel seat dimensions these days it would be impossible to make a reel seat that would literally fit every reel out there.
I have actually gone to the expense of ordering the Avet Narrow Reel Foot as the first part of a two pronged attack to use coasters with the reel on my profile evo...

No but don't you think the customer should now that this or that reel doesn't fit that reel seat on that expensive rod you've just bought 😉

Veals expert staff should have known which fits & which doesn't. Or are they like Woolworths/BHS, pays your money and takes your chance.

Last edited:
The issue is there is no accepted industry standard for either reel foot or reel seat dimensions. This was a big problem with fly rods and reels too until US manufacturers created a standard so that (theoretically at least) all new fly reels are manufactured with a foot that fits the standardised reel seat. Old Hardy reels were particular oddballs and many owners filed them down to fit - massively affecting their resale value!

I know you shouldn't have to, but a couple of wraps of tape and forget about it.
All my rods with sliding reel seats have had this done.
Better to do this than use glue. At least you have the option to move the seat to a different position later if desired.

As you know I use the Abu Grip-Lok Reels seats on all of my rods apart from the new Zziplex Profiles, I always put a piece of shrink tube just slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the seat inside the seat itself, and gives a very snug fit for all my various Reels. Then these are slid onto the butt, and electrical tape wound round the top and bottom of the reel seats to keep the seats exactly 9" from the butt cap. Jobs a gooden. (y)

Ian.

Veals expert staff should have known which fits & which doesn't. Or are they like Woolworths/BHS, pays your money and takes your chance.
The anti-veals crap is getting really boring .... as I said before, manufacturers should do a compatibility list on such things if needed.

If I buy a new car its not the garage's fault if I find I can't fit a body in the boot is it?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
The anti-veals crap is getting really boring .... as I said before, manufacturers should do a compatibility list on such things if needed.

If I buy a new car its not the garage's fault if I find I can't fit a body in the boot is it?

Cutting them up is always an option 😗😗😗

Who the hell wants to fit a body in the boot of a car, if there is a fault then the Dealer is responsible for things under warranty: eg things do not fit. Sorry Blackdog your response is not valid.

Back