• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice PENN SPINFISHER VII 6500LCEU LONG CAST

Tomthewelshie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After a bit of a disaster last week with my shimanos I’m currently one reel down. I’ve seen that these Penns are sealed so am thinking that could be very handy. I know they won’t be as smooth or refined as a shimano but has anyone used one or have any experience with them?

Thanks

They are on offer at veals at the moment. 124quid.
I've got one, had it a few years and it's as what you would expect ..solid, heavier than a shimano 14000 , but that never put me off. They don't come with a spare spool. Everything is sealed to keep the saltwater out ( and it's worked). I find it a stiffer to turn the handle compared to shimanos, but having looking into it the consensus is the gearing.
It winches quite happily and I'd trust it over a shimano ultegra 14000 over more rougher ground or ray fishing.

They are on offer at veals at the moment. 124quid.
I've got one, had it a few years and it's as what you would expect ..solid, heavier than a shimano 14000 , but that never put me off. They don't come with a spare spool. Everything is sealed to keep the saltwater out ( and it's worked). I find it a stiffer to turn the handle compared to shimanos, but having looking into it the consensus is the gearing.
It winches quite happily and I'd trust it over a shimano ultegra 14000 over more rougher ground or ray fishing.

Yep il hoping to use it with braid and an Akios air power for rays and codling over mixed to light rough. Without the fear of salt water lol

After a bit of a disaster last week with my shimanos I’m currently one reel down. I’ve seen that these Penns are sealed so am thinking that could be very handy. I know they won’t be as smooth or refined as a shimano but has anyone used one or have any experience with them?

Thanks
Should be fairly easy to get your Shimano sorted. Plenty of spares available and people willing to service them.
Still get the Penn by all means, but I'd try and save the Shimano to use as a backup.

Should be fairly easy to get your Shimano sorted. Plenty of spares available and people willing to service them.
Still get the Penn by all means, but I'd try and save the Shimano to use as a backup.

Yep I’m deffo going to get it sorted but I think il keep it then for use where there’s not so much chance of it being dunked. They are great reels 👍

If you need any Shimano parts and can't find them in the UK, this company are very good, but in France.

One of the guys on here took a tumble and snapped his Shimano reel mount. This was the only place I could find the parts.

Glad you asked this question I’m on the verge of treating myself to a pair of gbfs mrk 2 and was looking at a robust reel to go with them and was looking at these this morning my question is are the 6500 size big enough to use on a 14 ft rod or should I be looking for something bigger ???

Glad you asked this question I’m on the verge of treating myself to a pair of gbfs mrk 2 and was looking at a robust reel to go with them and was looking at these this morning my question is are the 6500 size big enough to use on a 14 ft rod or should I be looking for something bigger ???

From my research it should be big enough as long as the capacity suits 👍

That's my views on a 4500 liveliner spinfisher.
Slightly smaller reel but absolutely bomb proof and a good little reel that's running strong 2 years after I got it.

Kinda disheartening when you read about reels that ain't up to the basics, have we reached to point of disposable [sic] hardware?

I have also read that despite brand names, esp fixed spool, you are getting the same reel but "upbranded" that do sometimes come with slightly better mechanicles but not always.

Last edited:
Kinda disheartening when you read about reels that ain't up to the basics, have we reached to point of disposable [sic] hardware?

I have also read that despite brand names, esp fixed spool, you are getting the same reel but "upbranded" that do sometimes come with slightly better mechanicles but not always.
With a lot of the brand badged FS reels we are already there and have been for decades

The 6500 holds 345 yds of 15lb line i think . I use my 4500 live liner on boat for lures on the in shore wrecks and from the shore on my Afaw bass pro . I got mine from west bay angling . Take your rods up there next time your passing and try the reel on them before you buy he stocks the whole range i think .

Back