• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Pier fishing

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
At the risk of sounding like a total pleb, I have a question for the more experienced anglers. Do you have a favorite rig for pier fishing ? I have more or less being using the same standard two hook rig since I was a kid. I didn't really have anyone to teach me when I started and sort of muddled through without ever really thinking too much about it . I have noticed that on most forums all kinds of rig sand tactics are covered but I don't think I have ever come across a good article about pier rigs. I have read the article on here about pier fishing and found it very interesting

Suppose it depends on whats on ground and tide speeds etc.
I fish off a similar structure sometimes and use standard rig like you say or a running ledger.

As Dutchman has said it very much depends on the ground that you're fishing onto. I would also add what you're hoping to catch. I sometimes fish directly under my rod tip with a simple paternoster or drop shot rig. Float fishing from a pier can be fun too.

I use a running ledger for shore or pier fishing, works just fine for me. Only other method is mullet fishing where I tie 2 size 8 or 10 approx 1ft gaps with a weight at the bottom. Sometimes use a mepps No.3 spinner with some maddies on the hook.

I can only access piers & harbour fishing unless it's an easy access beach. The favourite pier here is an old WW landing strip and is built on huge concrete blocks & Rocks, so casting out far enough to clear them is essential, and most of the time, any of the usual beach rigs will be fine.

I did try a set of 2 hook baited Cod feathers last year, and had a Pollock that was just under size (it quickly was put back) so hoping to have another go for a bigger one this year. Very rare to see Pollock caught from that mark.

At the risk of sounding like a total pleb, I have a question for the more experienced anglers. Do you have a favorite rig for pier fishing ? I have more or less being using the same standard two hook rig since I was a kid. I didn't really have anyone to teach me when I started and sort of muddled through without ever really thinking too much about it . I have noticed that on most forums all kinds of rig sand tactics are covered but I don't think I have ever come across a good article about pier rigs. I have read the article on here about pier fishing and found it very interesting

Dont get to caught up in rigs/traces Kevin:) sharp hooks good bait and the right conditions are more important.
Ye live in Wexford, you should have no problems catching a fish or two fella.

For me i would fish a paternoster, its no fancy helicopter jobby lol but i can tell you now, it has caught every fish available to me at one time or another.

KISS,

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid;)

Mark..

Thanks for all the replies lads. Some things worth thinking about before I go !
Hi kevin
As the other’s have said just keep it simple, if you feel the rig of your choice will present a hook close to the bottom then try it.
I always use a loop rig on 1 rod wherever I am and if bait clips are a faff then use a good old fashioned Wessex rig.

Good luck and enjoy

Yes, as has been said, decent hooks and bait will be more important to catching a fish than the rig they’re attached to.
But… there are many variables that may improve or enhance the chances of catching particular species.

From r example, rays may prefer a longer flowing trace and a pennelled set up ie two hooks, could give you the edge over a two hook flapper or clipped down.
That said, I’ve caught rays on very short two hook flappers intended for other smaller species, so it’s not as if it’ll never work, but you may well increase your chances with a different traces.

People often say small baits will still catch big fish. That’s totally true. But bigger (smellier) baits will often be more attractive to bigger fish.
That gets you onto hook size - half a mackerel or double squid will need bigger hooks, say 5/0 or 6/0, which can hold almost anything.
But if you hook your dream big fish on a size 2 wire hook with a small bait, there’s every chance you could lose it. Especially on a pier at height.

As also said though, it depends what fish are in front of you and what species are caught off your local piers.
I’d imagine it’s a mixture? But you don’t necessarily want to spend your whole day fishing huge baits if there’s little chance of picking up anything large.
What most of us would do is fish two rods, one with the big fish bait and appropriate rig, the other with the smaller two hook gear.
Then hopefully you still catch plenty but you have a stake in the game for something better.

And of course, pay attention to what others are doing. If someone lands a good fish, ask them what bait, what rig etc. Most people are happy to answer questions.

I don’t know your area at all, but it might be certain species are never caught there - don’t sit on ray baits all day if no one has ever caught a ray off the pier, lol.

Presumably you have a fair idea of what’s there and when? Certainly don’t be afraid to try different things but as Mark said, it’s very easy to over complicate or over analyse things too.

I don’t know your circumstances but if possible, consider trying other marks in your area, it might open your eyes a bit to different ways of fishing and new species.
Piers are a great place to start out and they can be, and are, very good marks at times, but they can have their limitations too.

Something you could consider Kevin is to have a look at @kevothefish's website for Rigs.
Kev does some great rigs at good prices, so you could buy a mixed pack of different shore Rigs and see how you get on with each type.
For around £20, you could get a pack of 10 assorted Rigs.
If you want to tie your own Rigs in the future, You could use Kev's rigs as a pattern or adapt them to your own needs.

The trick to fishing is being on the shore when the fish are feeding. Feeding fish are in competition with one another for food. It's a dog eat dog world below the waves.

All the advice on traces above is correct at one time or another and if you are trying to winkle a fish out they by all means try different methods.😎

But as I said, conditions conditions conditions for me.
Wind direction, moon phase sea state.

There is no trace that will catch fish which are not present 🤪
Only way to learn is to go fishing and take note of which conditions fish best for which Mark. It is a time thing, only many hours spent fishing different conditions on different marks will give you the knowledge you require.

I still go fishing when conditions are by no means perfect, but that's because I love to be beside the side an I love to fish.

But be prepared when the right conditions apply. If the fish are feeding Wednesday night an you only fish the weekends? Then I'm afraid all the traces in the world won't help.😁

We always say this trace for this fish etc. thought experiment, somebody tell an show me a trace that will stop me catching Doggies if traces are fish specific lol eh! eh! Haha.

Mark...👍

Something you could consider Kevin is to have a look at @kevothefish's website for Rigs.
Kev does some great rigs at good prices, so you could buy a mixed pack of different shore Rigs and see how you get on with each type.
For around £20, you could get a pack of 10 assorted Rigs.
If you want to tie your own Rigs in the future, You could use Kev's rigs as a pattern or adapt them to your own needs.

Thanks. Just logged in and will deffo be ordering stuff from him. First I have to ok it with the people I will be staying with to get it posted to their address. Getting anything posted to Ireland has become a nightmare.

The trick to fishing is being on the shore when the fish are feeding. Feeding fish are in competition with one another for food. It's a dog eat dog world below the waves.

All the advice on traces above is correct at one time or another and if you are trying to winkle a fish out they by all means try different methods.😎

Only way to learn is to go fishing and take note of which conditions fish best for which Mark. It is a time thing, only many hours spent fishing different conditions on different marks will give you the knowledge you require.

I still go fishing when conditions are by no means perfect, but that's because I love to be beside the side an I love to fish.

But be prepared when the right conditions apply. If the fish are feeding Wednesday night an you only fish the weekends? Then I'm afraid all the traces in the world won't help.😁

We always say this trace for this fish etc. thought experiment, somebody tell an show me a trace that will stop me catching Doggies if traces are fish specific lol eh! eh! Haha.

Mark...👍
Yep that’s all very true and I agree, more important.

The point I was trying to make was rigs can make some difference but you’re absolutely right, when and where are far more vital, with the other variables thrown in too, of course.
(Not disagreeing with you Mark, I just wanted to clarify my own post).

Totally agree with you about timing. I’ve seen so many posts from relative newcomers who are struggling to catch or catching limited species, and when you dig a bit deeper you discover they only really fish 10am to 4pm on Saturdays.

That’s fine if they just want a weekend day out but that’s restricting themselves to start with and ignoring as you say, tides, daylight, weather etc.
That particular mark might fish well after a storm at night on a flooding tide, but not in warm sunshine with jet skis and swimmers going past.

So as anglers we have to put ourselves in those windows, bite the bullet and go out at 8pm on a Tuesday night, or whatever.
If we really want a realistic chance at those fish.
As ever, other commitments get in the way but as you say, success is usually directly down to the time and effort that you put into it.

Not a lot to do with rigs I know, but rigs aren’t a magic fix, though can be a helpful tool in the right circumstances.

Ye live in Wexford, you should have no problems catching a fish or two fella.

KISS,

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid;)

Mark..
You would be amazed at how many people think that. While it might be true in some areas for boat angling but shore fishing here is gone to the dogs. ( no pun intended). Even anglers who fish for the Irish international team are struggling to get any descent catches.

Be mindful that if you are fishing an elevated position a paternoster style rig maybe fishing more upright in which case the baits are not on the sea bed. That said its just something to bare in mind dependant on what your fishing for and where it feeds in the water column.

Mark...👍
Well said I totally agree with you

You would be amazed at how many people think that. While it might be true in some areas for boat angling but shore fishing here is gone to the dogs. ( no pun intended). Even anglers who fish for the Irish international team are struggling to get any descent catches.

Well I am amazed Kevin.
The South has always been first priority when anglers come to Ireland. Up the North here has always been shunned for favour of the South. So I am sitting in a warm glow thinking I have better fishing in Co Antrim than Co Wexford.🤪

Sounds like ye need to travel then.

Mark...

Back