• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Shetland Planning a visit

The Third Earl

Reaction score
Hi , just booked a couple of weeks break on Shetland for next year, I was wondering if anybody has experience of the Charter fishing there.
I intend hopefully to have a day out from Cullivoe, chasing the bigger cod, but it looks as though getting an indiviual place maybe difficult if not impossible .

I will also be doing some rock / mixed shore fishing, and again wonder if anybody has any experience, or could offer any areas to try .

I have done a lot of “Youtubing “ and most things I have found are several years old and probably out of date .

I know its a long time away, but actually booking self catering accomodation on Shetland needs to be done well ahead, so I am just thinking about getting an understanding of how things work up there .

I have been told that somebody has set up a charter boat business out of Lerwick, but there is no info on the net as far as I can see.

I also know that there is a Charter business out of Hamnavoe, but it seems they dont get the big cod that feature on the northern marks, also they are more tourist trips to the islands focussed . I was more wanting a dedicated charter skipper .

I dont have a hope in hell of getting a crew together for a few days fishing there , so I am more or less on my own as things stand.

Any info at all would be very useful.

Thanks for looking .

Dave

There’s got to be some local bloke who would take you out

Always that hope Flapster, but from personal experience of fishing all over the UK, actually finding somebody when the time there is only two weeks is not easy, plus, finding a local chap who would do that in a small place like Cullivoe when he would be competeing with the bigger concerns would no doubt make him unpopular locally anyway .

I obviously would like what you suggest though 👍.

Dave

A wee search around seems to throw up the Albacore and also Compass Rose a chartef boats out of Cullivoe?
Both have a Facebook page frkm what I can see.

Hi Thrash,
I have done quite a bit of research on the above two , but thank you for your imput.
Both are the “ go to “ charters ,lots of Youtube vids etc, but they are also both difficult to get individual places on as far as I can tell .
Obviously I will be in touch with the skippers nearer the time .
I am not on faceache for various reasons 😋.

Dave

Hi Thrash,
I have done quite a bit of research on the above two , but thank you for your imput.
Both are the “ go to “ charters ,lots of Youtube vids etc, but they are also both difficult to get individual places on as far as I can tell .
Obviously I will be in touch with the skippers nearer the time .
I am not on faceache for various reasons 😋.

Dave
No worries.

Follow the boats on Facebook as they'll post there if they've free spots, as you say it doesn't happen often though as the parties generally book the boat. As to shore marks I'd get a chart and google maps out and find a few spots to try.

Follow the boats on Facebook as they'll post there if they've free spots, as you say it doesn't happen often though as the parties generally book the boat. As to shore marks I'd get a chart and google maps out and find a few spots to try.

As far as faceache is concerned , I am not “ on “ there and have no intentions of joining.

Your advice re shore marks. I do that, in fact I go one further and use this “ app” to find the average depths of water.

Maps and google earth are ok to a point, but try to actually find out the accessible state of the shoreline , e.g rock platforms, sheer cliffs, etc is not that easy.
I have discovered my own shore locations on Orkney, Skye, Mull and other areas almost globally , mostly by research . I do ask questions on forums to short cut research on occasions and occasionally I am contacted by other anglers .

You would not believe the lengths I go to in order to find fishing marks .
Sometimes one answer from a local angler pulls lots of threads together with terrific results.

I think re the boats, I will contact the skippers nearer the time myself and just make the enquiries, hopefully there may be a ‘ team’ willing to take an individual for a day or so .
Thanks for the reply 👍

Dave

Last edited:
As far as faceache is concerned , I am not “ on “ there and have no intenttions of joining.

Your advice re shore marks. I do that, in fact I go one further and use this “ app” to find the average depths of water.

Maps and google earth are ok to a point, but try to actually find out the accessible state of the shoreline , e.g rock platforms, sheer cliffs, etc is not that easy.
I have discovered my own shore locations on Orkney, Skye, Mull and other areas almost globally , mostly by research . I do ask questions on forums to short cut research on occasions and occasionally I am contacted by other anglers .

Sometimes one answer from a local angler pulls lots of threads together with terrific results.

I think re the boats, I will contact the skippers nearer the time myself and just make the enquiries, hopefully there may be a ‘ team’ willing to take an individual for a day or so .
Thanks for the reply 👍

Dave
I said i would never join faceache, but this year have done as only way to comment on the local football team.

It is the only thig i have commented on, so do not see a problem with it.

Also if you ask on it to the Charter someone who has booked may have a spare place and see your request.

As far as faceache is concerned , I am not “ on “ there and have no intentions of joining.

Thanks for the reply 👍

Dave
I know your pain om Facebook. I only have it for fishing stuff if I'm honest, keeps me up to date with the salmon catches etc.

There was a guy called ShetlandJan on WSF he used to get some great cod from the shore 20lb+ I hope you find something good!

I already said that .

Dave
Yes you asked the Charter bloke.

But as it was an add on to previous post where it said "also" that was meant that if you joined faceache you could post it on his page and someone else who may be willing to give you a space could see it. (y) (y)

Faceache is not on the menu .Ever .

I do wish that people would stop going on about it .

It is off subject but in a previous life I had a > lot< of uncomfortable work involving unsuspecting faceache users that came off much the worse for their innocent involvement there .

That is my final post re faceache here .

Now , back to the more important stuff .

Fishing 😄😃

Dave

Faceache is not on the menu .Ever .

I do wish that people would stop going on about it .

It is off subject but in a previous life I had a > lot< of uncomfortable work involving unsuspecting faceache users that came off much the worse for their innocent involvement there .

That is my final post re faceache here .

Now , back to the more important stuff .

Fishing 😄😃

Dave
Stu who used to post on the darkside lives on Shetland, not sure whether he still posts at all, might worth a look if you still have access.

Back