• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Poole Harbour Advice

Steveburt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi, looking at giving Poole Harbour a go for anything that swims on Monday. Fishing rag. What areas are best and is it fishing well at the moment? Hoping for a few bass and flounder. Catch and release so not bothered by size. Poole angling at the Quay recommended the Quay?

I haven't fished it for a while,but I used to fish the quay,can't say where exactly , because I wouldn't decide till I got there.

I'll try there then as that's where the guy in the tackle shop recommended.
Newbie question, if high tide is at 11am tmw what time should I start fishing?

I'll try there then as that's where the guy in the tackle shop recommended.
Newbie question, if high tide is at 11am tmw what time should I start fishing?
I see people fishing the Quay at all states of the tide, it depends on the flow and how much weed is dragged along with it. Favourite spot seems to be the part opposite Wetherspoons, opposite where the gravel dredgers discharge; it depends on how many boats are tied up. A few weeks back they were catching black bream, a red mullet or two and school bass. You should be able to fish 9 to 3pm without encountering the hardest pull of tide.
Flounder are quite rare these days, haven't seen one for ages. School bass can be in plague proportions.

There are two high tides in Poole

pooletide.png
edit tidal graph added

I see people fishing the Quay at all states of the tide, it depends on the flow and how much weed is dragged along with it. Favourite spot seems to be the part opposite Wetherspoons, opposite where the gravel dredgers discharge; it depends on how many boats are tied up. A few weeks back they were catching black bream, a red mullet or two and school bass. You should be able to fish 9 to 3pm without encountering the hardest pull of tide.
Flounder are quite rare these days, haven't seen one for ages. School bass can be in plague proportions.

There are two high tides in Poole

View attachment 17549
edit tidal graph added
Brilliant thanks for that advice. I don't mind if the schoolies plague me as I've never sea fished before so any fish will put a smile on my face. Planning to fish a 2oz running lead with a 3 foot leader with beads and rag.... Does that sound about right? Is it worth taking a light spinning set up for the bass?

It might pay you to take a few grip leads with you 4oz should do it,It depends on the weed situation,but it wouldn't hurt to do a bit of spinning,if you've got one take a crab shaped lure,I use a smash crab lure (38g) I got from Glasgow angling,the bass usually can't leave it alone.take it with you mate tight lines ??

If you are new to sea fishing and want to catch species then the Quay is as good a place as any, up towards the lifting bridge there are wrasse close to the wall, tompot blennies, shannies, scorpions etc. Tie a simple 2 hook paternoster with size 6 hooks and short hook lengths, a half ounce lead, bits of rag or fish and see how many you can catch just by dropping down close to the wall..

Arrived at 0830 and fished through to 1330. Fished opposite the gravel boats with one rod legered mid way with ragworm and fished another rod lrf style with ragworm tail in close.
On the legered rod caught loads of seawood and 3 crabs. Also managed my first ever bass a real small guy less than half a pound but they all count. Really struggled to get any bites on that rod.

The rod fished close in against the side was a different story loads of wrasse, scorpion fish and gobys. Really enjoyed the mini wrasse. Best was about 3/4 to a 1lb but great fun.
Thanks for the advice, will definitely be back with my daughter next time to focus on the wrasse.

Attachments

• IMG_20211108_111018.jpg
    IMG_20211108_111018.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211108_104624.jpg
    IMG_20211108_104624.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211108_112756.jpg
    IMG_20211108_112756.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 11
Well you caught a few, pleased to have helped,

it's a good place to take kids; facilities nearby and plenty of bites to keep their interest.

Your right there mate, myself & my brother took his daughter fishing in August ,& she caught the first fish ,she still teases us about it !!!!

Back