• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Pop up rigs

Minstrelblue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Interested to hear of any experiences of of pop up rigs I've seen mentioned here and there.
How best to use them what depths or tactics etc as next place I might fish is alive with crabs and my baits don't last 5 mins ledgering them on the seabed
Ta

Interested to hear of any experiences of of pop up rigs I've seen mentioned here and there.
How best to use them what depths or tactics etc as next place I might fish is alive with crabs and my baits don't last 5 mins ledgering them on the seabed
Ta
I've bought some from Kevin to try (Seaswest) but not been out to to get them wet yet.

I've bought some from Kevin to try (Seaswest) but not been out to to get them wet yet.
Yes when I was trotting sandeels along in the camel estuary the crabs were monsters and by the time it had bumped along to its limit they'd virtually stripped it. So my thinking was a pop up bumping song on a rolling lead might be a better way to go

Ta
Using shore peeler as bait will minimise the stripping.
They’ll still have a go but it lasts a lot longer

Yes when I was trotting sandeels along in the camel estuary the crabs were monsters and by the time it had bumped along to its limit they'd virtually stripped it. So my thinking was a pop up bumping song on a rolling lead might be a better way to go
Also, estuaries are funny places and can be very bait specific.

Are we taking frozen eels? Is that something the locals do and proven to work?
You can’t normally go wrong for bass in an estuary with a bit of fresh juicy peeler.

I know generally people have success with live eels but otherwise I might actually lean towards small sandeel lure patterns.

But I don’t really know anything about the Camel estuary 🤷🏻‍♂️

Otherwise known as Tampon rigs... 🤣

Ian.

use pop up rigs a lot either fixed as the top hook of a loop rig or if you want to explore the water column on a long running up and over.
Will be surprised how many different species have a go. It’s one of my go to rigs late summer early autumn on Chesil. Had the usual mackerel and gars on the rig as well as bream, trigger fish, coal fish, plaice, gurnard. Def worth trying can make a difference when bites are slow fishing baits hard on the bottom.

I use at least 5 or 6 floating beads on my hook lengths,it keeps the bait out the way of the crabs
yes - I did some tank tests and those rigs with a single pop up bead on are pretty much worthless as they do not even lift an un=baited hook, hence why I use 10 mm foam and just the one bead - the cost of so many beads on each snood would mean I would have to pay like £4 or £ 5 a rig.... :)

Back