• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

question

zebdog

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
i have made some new rigs 100lb rig body, 80lb snood , size 4/0 hooks 6oz leads . my main line is 20lb braid. what size shock leader should i use?

10lb strength per 1oz as a minimum guide mate, for safety. So 6oz lead = 60lb shockleader (minimum). I tend to use tapered shock leaders myself, never have with braid though, never used braid as a shore fishing mainline.

20lb braid seems a bit light for beach fishing to me, locally on the Holderness,usually main line braid is anything from 30 lb right up to 60lb or more, the heavier braid users do not need a shock leader . I use 60 lb braid leader and either 30 or 40 lb braid mainline.

Heavier braid enables you to straighten the hooks should you get caught in a snag, plus, lighter braid is much more likley to suffer from abrasion on the sea bed.

Dave

Always use 80-100 any lower and i have snapped it multiple times even with 5oz. I now use 100lb braid leader for everything

On my 20lb braid spools i use a 18-70lb tapered leader, i find i can tie a easy knot with the two lines.

Yep, 60-80, think I’m currently using 70.

Agree though that 20lb braid is a bit light unless you’re fishing on very clean ground

Back