• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Quick question

Bevo50

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
how long is long enough to leave a fish bait out for rays (winstons) if the water is pretty clear of crab activity B9EAE7B7-2149-4211-82D6-49DF13FD0A01.jpegB9EAE7B7-2149-4211-82D6-49DF13FD0A01.jpegB9EAE7B7-2149-4211-82D6-49DF13FD0A01.jpegB9EAE7B7-2149-4211-82D6-49DF13FD0A01.jpeg

Saying that we do have some marks with massive tidal range where I might walk a bait back for an hour if no bites, but that’s a lot rarer.

On your south coast spots where the tide moves a metre a week, I’d certainly not leave it that long.

Depends on the bait, undulates are greedy my fave bait is half a fresh mackerel on a 6/0 pennel. I am happy to leave that out there 40 mins.
Given your down East I reckon Hythe for thornies is you best plan for a ray.
If you want an undulate any of the beaches West of Brighton offer you a chance so Shoreham, Pagham, Selsey East, Hayling, Chale on the Isle of Wight, Hurst Shingle, Chesil I have had undulates from all of these beaches all on big mackerel baits.
A big spring tide at night in slightly coloured water.

Until you pack up to leave
Depends on the bait, undulates are greedy my fave bait is half a fresh mackerel on a 6/0 pennel. I am happy to leave that out there 40 mins.
Given your down East I reckon Hythe for thornies is you best plan for a ray.
If you want an undulate any of the beaches West of Brighton offer you a chance so Shoreham, Pagham, Selsey East, Hayling, Chale on the Isle of Wight, Hurst Shingle, Chesil I have had undulates from all of these beaches all on big mackerel baits.
A big spring tide at night in slightly coloured water.
Cheers mates. Thanks a lot much appreciated 👍🏻

If I was fishing Bristol channel for rays I'm happy with 35 - 40 mins but I'd wrap a fish fillet (mackerel/bluey) in squid ...in the hope the scent trail lasts a little longer. If walking back then a much larger bait and up to an hour.
Musky

I must be lazy, I'll happily leave squid over an hour. But if not much is showing and I'm feeling keen, then maybe 45 mins....squid is a bait that just keeps fishing.....fish baits may wash out quicker, so need more frequent casting....but always a trade off in mixed ground of losing gear against a fresh bait!

Back