• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Quick Ray bash

Si-fly

Reaction score
The weather looked good last night, and I fancied a few hours fishing, unfortunately after an unsuccessful attempt at getting any worm I decided on an easy ray bash.

Hopefully I could find a SE for my species hunt.

I've not had one this year yet, but have seen the odd ones coming out, so always a chance.
I picked an easy mk and got some fish baits out.
I wasn't expecting a lot, but this mk has been good to me in the past, just not this year 🤔

Anyway I sat watching motionless tips along with a couple of other lads.
They didn't seem to be doing any better, but it was still early I kept telling myself....ever confident 😁

Tap tap....a bite at last....ah it stopped...I gave it 5 and then wound in to rebait.

It didn't look very ray like if I'm honest. It happened again with the same result, and then out of the blue the other rod screamed off 😃....this was much more like it, and there was a good weight on the end!

Def felt like a ray....just needed it to be a SE 🤞
Up it popped, much smaller than I thought as it was coming in tail first, with the line caught round its tail...still wasn't sure what it was, then as it got closer and I could see the top...there were spots....ah spotted...still nice fish even if it wasn't the target.PXL_20230718_175442745~3.jpg
Out went a fresh bait.

The tide came in and started to ebb, the rain started as well, that very light drizzle stuff. I put the shelter up, a rare thing for me these days, but I always like watching rain from under it for some strange reason.

Time was not on my side now, I was losing the water, and hopes were fading. Always next time I thought.

I put a fresh bait out and messaged a couple of mates, when I had a short pull down, and another...I picked up the rod and felt another, winding down there was a nice weight.
Yes fingers crossed.....not much fight and up popped a ray on the surface a fair way out, just skipping along towards me.
It was a poor fight, only drama was as I went to pull it away from the shore break it fell off the hooks 👀....ah nooo...I dived on it quick as it was going back in!!.....just saved it ....my target SE as well 😃

A big fish frame wise but thin....made my evening though, and 1 for my hunt.

PXL_20230718_193601433~2_06Y7LfsX0y_3RHoijnR3F.jpeg
Well happy now, I thought about packing, but gave it another hour for a tiny dog winding in the last rod.....happy days 👍

Great report and photos as always Si! Just love the Eyes on those Rays! 🎣🎣👍👍

Great report Si, as always. Fantastic pics as well mate. Top dangling... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

You are getting good at this Si, :) Nice one...🎣🎣

Ian.

Back