• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Quick round up of a few trips.

bananas

Reaction score
Started off November at Teignmouth docks, looking for a Smelt, couldn't fish the town quay as that's closed weekdays due to covid, so fished the fish quay, was loads of Smelts there but not one was interested in my sabikis or bait, so dropped down to the bottom, straight away a greedy sand goby had it, first fish of the day, next drop got me a point in the form of a common Dragonet, a few more gobies came out and a lovely tiny Corkwing, then finally after hour and half of fishing, target acquired, a smelt was out and wanting his pic taken. While I was fishing, I was chatting to the owner of a crabber moored up, he was saying that there's hundreds of Tuna out in the channel smashing the Sprats and Mackerel out there and that they was coming closer in to the bay as well.
Had a couple of hours the next day at a local beach after a 5 brd Rockling, but was pestered by loads a small Pouting and Pollock the baits wasn't on the bottom long enough for any thing else to get to them. Went back a day after for a quick session, different story completely, only a few small Pouting came out which was great as the bait was able to get down to the rocks at the bottom and managed to get a Rockling that was hiding in them, another species ticked off the list.
Missed out on a Gilthead in the summer so went along to Salcombe estuary in the hope of one now, got there just as the sun was beginning to drop. First casts was stripped clean, but the 2nd cast had a bit a weight behind in when bringing it in, hoping it wasn't weed and was relieved as it gave a kick as it was almost out, a nice 1.1lb Flounder was the culprit and another point for the hunt.
After he went back I got a shout from a old fella that was fishing the rocks, that there was something jumping out there, was just in time to see a fish leap out and the old boy shout, I got him!, quick scramble over the rocks grabbed his net and was ready for what ever he had hook, a bloody Gilt!! got the net under him and out, a nice one of around 2lb, was very happy for the old guy and very jealous as well, well at least I know they are there. Unfortunately, they wasn't coming out for me, just managed 3 schoolies that kept the interest going during the darkness.
Went back a few days later, to try again, nothing for the first hour except stripped traces, then bang on 6.30 a good knock gave the first small Bass just under the 16 inches cut off and a tiny Pouting, which is a bit of a stranger this side of the estuary, rebaited and cast and barely put it in the rest, another good bite and another under size Bass, this was repeated for the next half hour, had 5 Bass out then at 7pm they switched off completely, was dead after that bar a couple of Pouting.
Gave it till just gone 9 and the lack of fish and drizzle that had been on and off all session got the better of me, so packed up and back to the car, Guess I gotta go again now :)

Well done B you’ve smashed the species hunt this year still need that coddie tho bey don’t ya ??

Nice one mate!!!! Still catching! Saw fekall fish from the darkside last night, remember the good old days????? Dinoboy,meatsack,etc!

"Gotta go again" - was that ever really in question? I think we all know!

Thanks for reporting mate. Keep it going.

Well done as others have said your smashing it this year . Is there a species thats eluding you so far no matter how much you try for it ?

Is there a species thats eluding you so far no matter how much you try for it ?
The bloody gilt is getting on my nerves nowo_O,also tried all summer for a home grown Baillons wrasse instead of driving all the way to swanage, hopefully there be back here next year.

Back