• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Quick session last night

dodders

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Last minute decision to pop down to a rough ground mark last night armed only with frozen mackerel and some old squid. Hoping for a big bull huss but expecting conger. Fished from low up for about four hours. It was a very pleasant evening with the moon infront and being sheltered the breeze by a headland.
untitled-1.jpg
It was a fairly quiet night. After an hour or so had a couple of clicks on the ratchet, but I left it hoping for something more substantial to pull into. On retrieving the line found the hooklink bitten off. In hindsight I should have used a more substantial hooklink than my 100lb but I had none with me to beef it up.
Next indication I didn’t leave it. Had a quick pull off the ratchet and on lifting the rod could feel some slight bumping at the other end. Pulled into it and after an initial stalemate managed to get it moving. Obviously a conger from the constant pulling. A nasty climb down with rod in one hand to get to the edge of the rocks and pulled a nice conger ashore. Not huge but good enough for me at 9lb 6oz
Conger 9-06.jpg

Lost another later to a hookpull.

That’s probably my lot for sea fishing for the next 3 weeks as I should be off to Scotland trout fishing this coming week, but that’s in the balance at the moment.

Nice one Dodders, great report and pics... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Nice lump that pulled back a bit good stuff

Nice one mick , nice size , 100lb hook length is normally enough
I agree, but I've got some 150 at home and would have been happier with that on. The one landed was hooked a couple of inches in its mouth and had trashed the hooklength. I had to change it and used 60 lb amnesia which looked thicker than the 100lb stuff I was using

Well done mate, nice conger to save the blank, maybe invest in a short wire trace, I dont like using them my self, prefer 150lb mono.

Nice One Mick, and a good photo. Good result for your Species hunt too! 🎣🎣👍👍

Well done 👍.....I use 80lb fluro in canaries for bluefish and stingers....had loads of fish and no breakages yet.....worth a thought....stuff is bullet proof!

Last minute decision to pop down to a rough ground mark last night armed only with frozen mackerel and some old squid. Hoping for a big bull huss but expecting conger. Fished from low up for about four hours. It was a very pleasant evening with the moon infront and being sheltered the breeze by a headland.
View attachment 50305
It was a fairly quiet night. After an hour or so had a couple of clicks on the ratchet, but I left it hoping for something more substantial to pull into. On retrieving the line found the hooklink bitten off. In hindsight I should have used a more substantial hooklink than my 100lb but I had none with me to beef it up.
Next indication I didn’t leave it. Had a quick pull off the ratchet and on lifting the rod could feel some slight bumping at the other end. Pulled into it and after an initial stalemate managed to get it moving. Obviously a conger from the constant pulling. A nasty climb down with rod in one hand to get to the edge of the rocks and pulled a nice conger ashore. Not huge but good enough for me at 9lb 6oz
View attachment 50306

Lost another later to a hookpull.

That’s probably my lot for sea fishing for the next 3 weeks as I should be off to Scotland trout fishing this coming week, but that’s in the balance at the moment.
i see now why they call it a blue moon !!

Well done 👍.....I use 80lb fluro in canaries for bluefish and stingers....had loads of fish and no breakages yet.....worth a thought....stuff is bullet proof!
Thats a thought I use it a lot fly fishing and its much tougher than the equivalent breaking strain of nylon

Back