• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Quick Sunday session Rockanore 16/01/22

ouchthathurt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Having managed to pick up a couple of wraps of frozen lug, I decided to head on down to Rockanore this morning, getting there about 0815. High tide was at 10(ish) neap tides, NE wind, about 5mph, a cold and misty morning. I looked on the weather apps and one said I was going to get rain, the other said broken sunlight, I fancied the sunlight one so thats the one I chose to believe! (It lied too) I was greeted by the seabirds going mental about 200-300yrds out. 4B9A4E30-CA8E-44CA-9A79-BA2678BDE268.jpegI set up next to the harbour arm, fishing into the shallower water in the harbour mouth, both rods fishing clipped down 2 hook rigs baited with frozen lug. Both rods were sent seawards and I settled into wait. 5AB871B8-DC3B-4CE0-9DFF-B4DF0E44AC04.jpegThe wind was barely noticeable, yet there was a bit of a swell rolling in, bringing in the whiting shoals, I sat watching the birds flocking back and forth. A6954FBB-E09E-4EEF-B852-0D1DF8B11715.jpeg38F8236A-55FB-43DC-ACA5-0A97E565D664.jpegThe whiting were about, and I started getting bites from the off, nothing worth keeping but good sport nonetheless. A few casts came back stripped, but I didn’t want to go down hook sizes lest I start deep hooking tiny tings. But I was still catching enough to keep me happy 15BFA15C-BAF6-465D-9D59-4A4FACE6632C.jpegas the tide reached its height, the wave dump was starting to cause issues with bite indication, so I moved onto the harbour arm with much deeper water to see if I could tempt anything bigger. 8F4DACEE-F1CC-4720-922A-B6D44327A821.jpegI was just rebaiting a rig, when I saw two feet appear in my peripheral vision, a man and his boy come to fish off the arm. They set up literally beside me, and were obviously beginners, the “pier rod starter kits” no shock leaders, small 3/4-1oz leads, etc. they were just dropping it off the edge. Their leads were barely touching bottom, but they were catching little rockling and blennies from the off, which made the kid very happy! He snagged up and snapped off, which made things difficult for them, so I offered them a new rig and donated a few 3oz flat “flattie” leads that I had in my box and a few pointers about bits and pieces, the mark (and others) they were quickly fishing again. I thought my good deed would result in an intervention from the fish gods, and it did - I promptly snagged up on retrieval and I snapped off at the leader knot! That rod was packed away, the other rod had the expected double shot of whiting. I managed 9 whiting in 3hrs, so the other rod was packed away. I still had 1 & 1/2 wraps of lug left, so I gave it to the kid to use, he baited up and with the 3oz lead, was able to chuck it 20yrds which is plenty here and promptly landed a whiting. He was buzzing, and I was soon heading back to my car happy in the knowledge that I was able to help them out a little bit, my left over bait doubled their bait supply so hopefully they had a good session too.

It feels good to help someone out if they listen I wouldn't entertain haif the half wits I come across while out fishing well done for getting out and bagging a couple ???

Nice...a lot of bird activity out there considering the murky water . Wonder if they were on herrings or whiting ?

Brilliant hopefully that's another fisherman hooked for the future sounds like you had a decent outing ?

It feels good to help someone out if they listen I wouldn't entertain haif the half wits I come across while out fishing well done for getting out and bagging a couple ???

Nice one ouchy Well done on passing on the knowledge bey ?

Good lad Ouchy. ?
Many thanks lads. ??
Nice...a lot of bird activity out there considering the murky water . Wonder if they were on herrings or whiting ?
I was wondering that myself mate, my guess would be whiting, but answers on a postcard to…

Well done Ouchy! Great report, nice photos, and I hope your good deed towards the little lad is repaid in the future! ????

Back