• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Quick weeks round up

bananas

Reaction score
Had a couple hours on the float at the breakwater last Thursday, managed nearly 50 fish, mostly Corkwings, Ballan's, Pouting and odd Tompot too. Nothing big really, just a fun hectic session.

Friday saw me fish with John and what a shocker, the beach where the big Ballans come from was deep in weed, we gave it ago, but the weed laden surf got to us in the end, so a quick move to the Salcombe estuary gave me 2 schoolies and a blank for John, really pants session.

Saturday saw me hook in to a right big urn, while making a trace up!!

IMG_20211009_151354.jpg
A trip to A&E where I managed to meet a angling mate from the old South Devon Fishing days Nigel Poland, who happen to be a doctor working in A&E, quick chat with him and was whisked off to the minor injuries section where he cut the hook out while chatting about fishing marks, only for him to remember to use the freeze spray after I finished screaming!!. He did do a cracking job and I got the hook back in one piece to use again too.

Sunday with finger working fine I got up early and took a drive down to Mountbatten pier in Plymouth in the hope of a Gar, as they been very scarce in the bay and I read that @Si-fly had a good few from there a week ago. Got the float cast out and went and had a chat to couple guys along from me, only to be told they not seen any Gars for a few days now, not what I wanted to hear, but as I got back to my rod I noticed it bobbing around more than it should be, quick wind in and fish on, hoping it wasn't a Mackerel as it stayed deep, right up till it leapt from the water just like a Gar should do, happy days, another point for my hunts. He was followed by another Gar and I managed to drop one close to the wall, after an hour and half's fishing I was back in the car smiling.

Monday saw me down the South Hams and a long walk to a mark I was told holds Couch's Bream, been after one of these buggers for a while.
Started with an hour till low but didn't get a bite till an hour in to the flood, when I had a few small taps on the distance rod, reeling in and was a bit unsure whether anything was on till it got close to the shore line and it started shaking its head, and a lovely pink Bream came out of the water, yes a Couch's Bream and the 50th species of the year.

IMG_20211011_175119.jpg
Managed another one of these stunning fish an hour latter, that was a bit bigger, before I packed up and trudged the 30 odd minute walk back to the car.

Today saw me down at Goodrington prom, with the light gear for a couple hours in the sun, wasn't expecting anything new and didn't get any, but had well over 20 Corkwing Wrasse, so many they was a pain trying to get through. A move to some small rocks started producing some Pollock and Shanny's and a few Prawns too.
Was really nice fishing in the Autumn sun and wondering what next week will produce:unsure::unsure:.

Actually I was thinking the opposite..... blokes a machine he only does short sessions of a couple of hours and hes doing 1.5 species a week.
Hes smashing it......
Hes not doing long sessions at all, its remarkable.
Different way of thinking about it. Mine is around .9 with around 1.5 hours each way to get most of them! Bananas (and others) have been inspirational for me and have also been very helpful and supportive of my efforts, which I really appreciate. Looking forward to getting over there and fishing with the machine!

Think the longest session ive had was with john over on chesil, i do try and target areas where a species i want lives, also watching videos of people catching wanted fish has helped, @Devon Lerfer his vids have help a lot and got me using different techniques , also talking to people on here really helps, @Tatunka joe, @John Mitchell, rockmarks, @cap'nhaddock , have put me on marks i wouldnt have thought of.
Tho even with all that info it dont all ways work out, but thats what fishings is all about, keep trying till it works, then help others out when you can by passing on the info.

Sounds like very busy week Bob! Well done on the species hunt - great report & photos! ??

Hooks in fingers is never fun. I had a 3/0 circle go through the end of my finger last year whilst the main hook was still in the mouth of a large smoothy. The thing wrapped the line around itself essentially trapping my hand to its face. It was all I could do to stop the thing writhing around with the other hand, and I sure you know how strong the buggers can be!!
Thankfully, there was a guy in the groin next door and after yelling at him a lot, he ran over with (an incredibly blunt) knife and cut me free!
I had to cut the eye of the hook and feed it right through. Not fun!!
Nice couches ??

Back