• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Ragworm

spiderfur

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Just a thought. I normally keep ragworm in the fridge until use. Is this ok or does it kill them off quicker?
Daft question I know but can't seem to make my mind up. :rolleyes:

Yes they usually need a fridge but if it’s any longer than the day before fishing, change the paper regularly and try and split them up so they’re not touching each other.
If I’ve got a lot I usually divide them into two or even three or four packets so if one just suddenly dies off (and it’s possible), the others won’t be contaminated.
Try and change the newspaper about every 12 hours.

If keeping longer, trays of seawater work well but you’d need to change it daily.

And this time of year it’s still too warm for them so I usually keep them in a cool bag with an ice block while fishing.
They don’t like being too cold either so I usually put a thick layer of paper between the worms and the block.

Speaking about this at weekend and one of lads a very good angler and he said he never puts his rag in the fridge and generally just keeps them in a cool place must admit last few I’ve kept rag in fridge it hasn’t been great just keep them in a cool place if I were you mate

Yes they usually need a fridge but if it’s any longer than the day before fishing, change the paper regularly and try and split them up so they’re not touching each other.
If I’ve got a lot I usually divide them into two or even three or four packets so if one just suddenly dies off (and it’s possible), the others won’t be contaminated.
Try and change the newspaper about every 12 hours.

If keeping longer, trays of seawater work well but you’d need to change it daily.

And this time of year it’s still too warm for them so I usually keep them in a cool bag with an ice block while fishing.
They don’t like being too cold either so I usually put a thick layer of paper between the worms and the block.
Wise words indeed Thanks

Speaking about this at weekend and one of lads a very good angler and he said he never puts his rag in the fridge and generally just keeps them in a cool place must admit last few I’ve kept rag in fridge it hasn’t been great just keep them in a cool place if I were you mate
Sometimes I just keep mine outside in the garage but it gets too warm in the summer.
If you’ve got a decent cool spot at home that’s just as good.

They’re such fickle things - I’ve had perfectly decent rag die on me with two hours of fishing on a muggy night, when I forgot to take a cool bag.

I think the fridge effect is because they get damp and bite each other and then die off quicker?
Unless you’re using seawater I think keeping them dry and as separate as possible is probably more crucial for longer spells?

Sometimes I just keep mine outside in the garage but it gets too warm in the summer.
If you’ve got a decent cool spot at home that’s just as good.

They’re such fickle things - I’ve had perfectly decent rag die on me with two hours of fishing on a muggy night, when I forgot to take a cool bag.

I think the fridge effect is because they get damp and bite each other and then die off quicker?
Unless you’re using seawater I think keeping them dry and as separate as possible is probably more crucial for longer spells?
Makes sense ?

Plenty of sea peat or vermiculite and regular paper changes. As MrF says , smaller packets helps and limits loss. Check for damaged/bloated worms and discard. If you do ha\/e to put them in a fridge, don't ha\/e it turned right down

Put any dying or damaged worms into salt, they'll catch as well as the fresh ones. No point in throwing good bait away.

Salted rag works well on wrasse
Yep although weasse will ha\/e a go at most things. I'\/e had whiting on it too but I wouldn't feel \/ery confident chasing plaice with it. My old man used to salt loads of stuff. Used to keep razor meat in brine in his shed. It made a cracking bass and codling bait but you couldn't get the smell off your hands for days

Back