• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rays

Constant pressure.
It will eventually move.

Never caught or fished for Rays - they don't fall into my 'Fish to eat 'em' plans. I do know they can sucker themselves to the bottom!

I've not had the pleasure of catching a Ray yet as still pretty new to sea fishing but they're definitely on my target list so will be interested to see all the advice given 🙂

Constant pressure usually works but if the grounds clean and it’s really stubborn give it a bit of slack and they will relax and swim off giving you time to get it up in the water and kiting in.
Like a ray wing now and then tastes nice with brown butter and capers but something about them stops me taking more. Either that or I’m a soft twat 😂

Constant pressure usually works but if the grounds clean and it’s really stubborn give it a bit of slack and they will relax and swim off giving you time to get it up in the water and kiting in.
Like a ray wing now and then tastes nice with brown butter and capers but something about them stops me taking more. Either that or I’m a soft twat 😂

I was fishing with a mate quite a few years ago north of Deal pier when he hooked into what he said was a big ray.
He put pressure on and just kept on with it for over an hour until it finally started to move. In the darkness we couldn't see what it was until eventually he got in in closer. It was a one ton Jewsons bag..

Never caught or fished for Rays - they don't fall into my 'Fish to eat 'em' plans. I do know they can sucker themselves to the bottom!
Never eaten skate wings? Grilled with garlic butter and cracked black pepper they are gorgeous.

I was fishing with a mate quite a few years ago north of Deal pier when he hooked into what he said was a big ray.
He put pressure on and just kept on with it for over an hour until it finally started to move. In the darkness we couldn't see what it was until eventually he got in in closer. It was a one ton Jewsons bag..
That or a body 🙄

Never eaten skate wings? Grilled with garlic butter and cracked black pepper they are gorgeous.
That sounds very good, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start with skinning & cooking them.

Back