• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Reel needs a service

how much is it roughly for a general service without parts ...i got so many multis that arnt quite running properly as they used to and scared to take apart so Iv just kept using different ones but wana get a couple of the nicer akios and abus back to full smoothness .
probably just need oil to be fair but would be nice for a pro to take a look

As well as Blakdog, there is a guy down here who has a good reputation. I know he decided to close his unit during the first lockdown, but as far as I know, he is working from home. His website says £17.50 for a service + parts + postage.

Why don`t you have a go yourself,ABU`s are quite straight forward to service,it`s the gearbox reels that are a bit more complex (525,saltist ect) there`s plenty of good U Tube directional videos out there,also Russ @blakdog gives a lot of easy tuition on his website .Cals grease,carb cleaner or lighter fuel and a set of small tools,disposable gloves,coffee and your good to go.Too many people buy new bearings when they`re are sometimes not really needed unless you feel you need an uprade to improve on your casting, just a clean will sometimes do the job,drag washers are a different story you will know when they are needed.Tuning your serviced reel takes patience as only you know how you want it but not brain surgery,most minor adjustments can be done on the job.Russ will supply you with most of the things you need...Alan

Why don`t you have a go yourself,ABU`s are quite straight forward to service,it`s the gearbox reels that are a bit more complex (525,saltist ect) there`s plenty of good U Tube directional videos out there,also Russ @blakdog gives a lot of easy tuition on his website .Cals grease,carb cleaner or lighter fuel and a set of small tools,disposable gloves,coffee and your good to go.Too many people buy new bearings when they`re are sometimes not really needed unless you feel you need an uprade to improve on your casting, just a clean will sometimes do the job,drag washers are a different story you will know when they are needed.Tuning your serviced reel takes patience as only you know how you want it but not brain surgery,most minor adjustments can be done on the job.Russ will supply you with most of the things you need...Alan
Absolutely ! Why spend money on having someone do something that with a bit of care you can do yourself. I think that when it comes to things like this youtube is your friend. I usually just get a decent sized work tray and carefully take the reel to bits, clean, oil/grease and put it back together remembering that its a fishing reel do not go over tightening things you will just end up stripping threads. I am really pissed with myself because I used to take advantage of a small ultrasonic bath we had in our lab... I failed to borrow that when the labs were shut down. That cleaned parts beautifully.

edit here is a good site to get reel schematics so you know your parts has a lot of reels

Last edited:
Back