• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Reflections under the Harbour Lights

PhilR

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
At last, clear skies, no wind, fresh ragworm ordered, time to go fishing.

I needed to boost the species hunt total, and my chosen target was a shore rockling. I wanted to tick this one off before the summer nuisance fish and crabs made it more difficult. So I pitched up at my chosen shore rockling mark.

The sea was flatter than the proverbial, but a bit coloured from the recent precipitation. With the forecast of heavy frost I thought a short session starting in daylight and just a few hours of darkness would be most comfortable.

I had just set up my two flattie rods when the Cap'n arrived. Nice to see you again sir. It seems we both had rockling on our minds and by chance chose the same venue.

The first fish I landed was a strap conger in daylight. An ominous start because these seem to be everywhere. As darkness fell we both started to get pout and more straps, and the Cap'n had some pollack. I needed a pollack but resisted the temptation to go for one. Plenty of time to get one of those.

At this mark there are some submerged boulders, and if you know exactly where to drop your bait there is a good chance of getting your quarry without getting snagged. Such was the case and I dropped one rig carefully in the sweet spot and soon had a beast of a rockling.

SAM_2234.JPG

That was the primary target achieved and the secondary target was a flounder, so ragworm baited rigs were cast into the deeper water. The tide was dropping almost as fast as the temperature, and thoughts were turning to packing up. On one of quite a few 'last casts' I was happy to bring in a minute huss. A new species, tiny, but as the Cap'n says "They all count."

SAM_2240.JPG

And so it was time to leave. A short four-hour session, but two new species. Getting back into the car the temperature gauge indicated -2. Good call to leave.

My final tally was:
  • 10 pout (meh!)
  • 2 straps (yuck!)
  • 1 rockling (yeah!)
  • 1 mini micro huss (yeah!)

Anyway tight lines and thanks for reading.

Good to see you again, it seemed colder than minus two, it was just pollack, a conger and far too many pout for me.

Great report Phil, and 2 more for the hunt! Well done! 🎣🎣 (y) (y)

Back