• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rig bits?

Short grab and go sessions are what I'm used to so I've got a few spare rigs in a pocket and enough leads in screw topped plastic jar cable tied to the vee leg of my tripod. The only spare bits I carry are a daisy chain of 4/5 leadlinks on my coat zip puller incase snap off a shockleader(v rare these days). I certainly don't mess around trying to make up new rigs on the beach in the dark

I always take some spare hooks of different sizes, beads, swivels and a spare reel + leads and some leader on a spool. Also a filleting knife and a s/s thermos, tend to leave the kitchen sink at home though ;)

I try to make up my rigs at home once I know the target species and the mark, but always carry a small box of bits with hooks, links, swivels etc. just in case I lose something.

If I'm going to the clean spots locally for couple hours which I mostly do , then I just bring a pack of hooks, spool of amnesia and a spare weight swivel and bead in a small tub lol hardly ever lose tackle to be honest. Mostly fish out of a rucksack. Running and pulley rigs simple stuff mainly.
I understand some places you lose a lot of tackle though. Been there lol ...mainly I go without clutter and cooking stuff etc too ,just a bucket and rucksack can walk for much longer like that aswell easily.

Yes, got a small compartment box that has all my basic rig components ie beads, swivels, links, fast links, bait clips.

The hooks go in another box, usually a takeaway container, then carry a spool of shock/rig body 70lb line and the relevant Amnesia trace lines I’ll need for the day.
It all packs in a rucksack (or seatbox) and not as if it weighs loads.

Unless in a real rush, I’ve got fresh made rigs in my rig wallet but I don’t make silly amounts, just 4-6 for a trip.

If I start getting short, I’ll make up a couple more while fishing, or recon older ones.

Over the years I’ve decided what I need and only take what I can comfortably carry as far as I need to carry it.

Tried the minimalist approach ie a bucket and a few bits but tbh I find it a damn sight easier to carry a rucksack or box than a bucket swinging around.
Plus if say on a sandy beach, I can keep the gear separate and clean, especially things like scales or my phone tripod, rather than all jumbled in a bucket and having to constantly burrow around and unpack to find stuff.

Personally I spend the early winter evenings in front of the log burner tying rigs so I always have plenty.
On a winter fishing session my hands are generally so cold and numb there is no way I could start tying or altering rigs on the beach.
I always have spare spools but do take some spare shock leaders in case I snap off and have used my spare spools.

I'm similar to alot of others if fishing most places away from home. I'll take a rig wallet usually full (plus packs of hooks in the pockets), a spool of shock leader that's also used for rig bodies and a tiny box with swivels/beads/clips in it.
If I'm fishing a Suffolk beach where tackle loss is very unlikely, my whole days worth of gear fits in a small Tupperware tub, usually a few leads, spool of mono or fluro, 2 packs of hooks and the tiny rig bits box.

Back