• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rig Jigs

Battered

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone using one, whether bought or homemade?

I've got an idea for building my own, made out of a plank of wood with a load of holes drilled at measured increments. There'll be blocks with dowels that fit into the drilled holes, so you can move them up and down the plank to suit whatever length rig you want to make.

Would be interesting to see if any of you guys have built something (y)

Anyone using one, whether bought or homemade?

I've got an idea for building my own, made out of a plank of wood with a load of holes drilled at measured increments. There'll be blocks with dowels that fit into the drilled holes, so you can move them up and down the plank to suit whatever length rig you want to make.

Would be interesting to see if any of you guys have built something (y)
Haha! Just in the process of building a prototype extending wooden rig jig and other fishing related woodspoiling! Things have been delayed by the weather as I need to do some extensive sanding which has to be done outdoors. I hope to put up some info when I eventually finish it.

I've got one somewhere in the back of the cupboard had good intentions of using it but usually find myself sat in front of the TV whilst making rigs & holding the other end of rig with my toes like some sort of Gunga Din lol
mines made using the Gemini Rig Jig end with the wire hooks is permanently fixed to a length of 5×1 board about 4ft long with a rip down the middle just over half way other part of jig slides along rip & clamps down by a wing nut wherever you want it

It was those Gemini rig jigs that gave me the idea of making my own. I thought "20 quid?", I can knock something up on my own for far less :ROFLMAO:

nice to make summin as its a little project fair play but I agree with jj above I just tie stuff up roughly ...
in carp fishing I have mates that measure to the cm their links and if 1 over or under will chop and re tie lol
when I'm fishing with them I make comedy long hooklink or tiny short one just to make a point and catch with it near to them lol

nice to make summin as its a little project fair play but I agree with jj above I just tie stuff up roughly ...
in carp fishing I have mates that measure to the cm their links and if 1 over or under will chop and re tie lol
when I'm fishing with them I make comedy long hooklink or tiny short one just to make a point and catch with it near to them lol

I won't be as anal as your mates :ROFLMAO:

I was thinking more along the lines of making a load in one go. Put all the components on the rig body, then crimp the whole lot when they're set. Mainly 3 hook clipped and whatnot. Like you said, a little project to pass the time. But one I'd actually get some use from.

I just use a vine eye screwed into a wall, one outside or one in the workshop for when it's raining.
The vine eye has a lead link on it to which I connect my rig body, same or heavier than the shock leader, with all the components attached. I start with a rig clip at the top, all the components, then a lead link.
I put a lead on the bottom of the rig so I can pull it tight.
I use telephone crimps with beads and a swivel to attach the hook lengths so it's just a matter of stretching it all out and crimping it all in place. Imps, cascade swivels, up and over line clips etc can all be placed for optimum performance..
Being sure to put all of the components on, in the correct order, has become second nature for me but it's a pain when you miss one bit out.

My rig jig is a bit of bent wire screwed to a shelf 7 ft from the ground, and an 8 oz sinker.

Being anal about the snood length wont catch you any more fish imo, I only use 3 basic rigs, flappers ( occasionally when I am playing about for dabs which does not happen much ) , loops and clipped fixed patts.All of them can be made by eye ,Jackjock has it nailed ( above )

Dave

It's not just about the destination, it's the journey. OK, so some of you might not need or agree with Rig Jigs, but the reason I decided to build one was that it was a fishing related practical idea to allleviate the stresses and exercise the little grey cells during Covid lockdown. My Rig Jig will probably get occasional use, but currently, it's more about the design & building of it.

I'm with you on keeping the brain cells exercised.
I've been engaged with making some "casting floats" on my lathe. I think there's an opportunity to catch a fish or two about 50/60 yards out in shallowish water over rough ground.
I made a rig with an adjustable hook length so I can fish from 6" to 4' below the surface.
It will be a spring through to summer method for pollack, bass, mackerel and garfish.
Who's to say, it might be a really good way of fishing rough ground.
I could have bought a bubble float but where's the fun in that?

I've been engaged with making some "casting floats" on my lathe. I think there's an opportunity to catch a fish or two about 50/60 yards out in shallowish water over rough ground.
I made a rig with an adjustable hook length so I can fish from 6" to 4' below the surface.
It will be a spring through to summer method for pollack, bass, mackerel and garfish.
Good one Ian - sounds a bit like a Bombarda float type of thing. Keep us informed on how well it works once we get out fishing again! ??

Yes, as a Bombarda but much heavier, 4/5 oz, so that I can cast it with a light beachcaster.

Yes, as a Bombarda but much heavier, 4/5 oz, so that I can cast it with a light beachcaster.
Good one! I'm guessing you are using a wood turning lathe? Never done any woodturning. I bought a big old 7ft long metal working lathe years ago and left it in my Bosses workshop until I found a home for it - he was allowed to use it but decided one day to change the chuck, belted it with a lump of wood and damaged the headstock. ?? I've still got it, was going to try and get it repaired, but it went over to our shack in France and now don't know what to do with it. ??

Good one! I'm guessing you are using a wood turning lathe? Never done any woodturning. I bought a big old 7ft long metal working lathe years ago and left it in my Bosses workshop until I found a home for it - he was allowed to use it but decided one day to change the chuck, belted it with a lump of wood and damaged the headstock. ?? I've still got it, was going to try and get it repaired, but it went over to our shack in France and now don't know what to do with it. ??
Fishing weight sounds about right Tramps.

@Trampster if the lathe is 7 foot it’s more than likely salvageable. Pop over the the Welding Forum where you can navigate to the Lathes section and introduce yourself with a question.

MIG Welding forum.

Only problem with weighted floats is they’re not a slider in the traditional sense so you’re restricted to however long you can make your trace.
Works well for garfish in the top layers and possibly mackerel if they’re near the surface (I tend to find they’re usually deeper) and pollack tend to be nearer the bottom.

Then again if your rough ground is only say 12 feet deep at most, your six foot trace will certainly be near enough to attract the attention of the fish.

I did once buy premade weighted ‘sliding’ floats from a shop thinking I’d do away with sliding weights and beads, and realised the inherent flaw in the design ie the depth is limited to whatever your hook length is.
And needed a stop immediately above the float otherwise when you got a bite it just pulled the line through.
I did catch garfish though, which wasn’t surprising in the top layer.

You probably know all that though, but might be useful to people that haven’t used them before.

(Btw I can get a one ounce sliding float 50 yards easily enough on a float rod, the problem is trying to see the damn thing at that range)

@Trampster if the lathe is 7 foot it’s more than likely salvageable. Pop over the the Welding Forum where you can navigate to the Lathes section and introduce yourself with a question.

MIG Welding forum.
Thanks Seabob - I'll make a note of that link and do some asking before we go to France again. I can't find the photos of mine as I think they are on an old hard drive, but this one looks very similar:
1615911564790.png

@Mr Fish
The two areas I intend trying them out are both only about 4 or 5' deep at high water.
The
I did try it once last year in very windy weather when the sea was a bit lumpy.
I had one take when the float drifted back to the sea wall and it shot off like a bullet only to have the fish drop the bait.
I think they might be used to slowly move a bait across a sandy bottom for flatties as well.
Flatter water may be important here.
Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

Back