• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

River fishing in France

I am revising the weight of that carp due to not having reading glasses handy at the time!

Now the conversion from 38.5 JIN to POUNDS gives you 51 lbs. That is another target reached, though I am annoyed at screwing up the weighing.

Looking at that photo with the fish against my belly it does look so much bigger than any carp I have caught previously!

View attachment 32420

When you set yourself an ambitious target it's maddening to make such a silly mistake!:mad: Grrrrr!

But, whatever, it's such a lovely fish and a tremendous fight that I will always remember vividly! (y)

Well done Steve, that also equals my best French Carp of 51lb (River Common), which I caught in the Niortaise in the Poitevin (Vendee - Charantee Maritime). Strangely, all the catfishing locals told me there were no Carp, but I caught plenty and NO catfish (horrid things).

The locals were very friendly, and I could see the surprise when I caught the carp, they were a decent bunch and celebrated the catch with a makeshift BBQ, and lots of Red wine.

Well done Steve, that also equals my best French Carp of 51lb (River Common), which I caught in the Niortaise in the Poitevin (Vendee - Charantee Maritime). Strangely, all the catfishing locals told me there were no Carp, but I caught plenty and NO catfish (horrid things).

The locals were very friendly, and I could see the surprise when I caught the carp, they were a decent bunch and celebrated the catch with a makeshift BBQ, and lots of Red wine.
After my mistake with the settings on the digital scale I will never be quite sure about the weight of that big carp. So I am still on a mission for a really big specimen, but the carp here do get to the 70lb+ bracket. I will keep dangling away and maybe one day......🐋

IMG_20230211_161134.jpg

These carp never look huge in the water, it's their width rather than their belly that gives them weight. Look at the shoulders on that last carp I caught - pure fishy muscle! The first couple of runs from these river Lot carp is scary, I preset my drag the same way as if I was shark fishing. So many snags, you have to be in control instantly!

Apart from a few barbel at the start of January the winter weather has slowed the fishing down considerably. First there was snow which stayed for over a week, unusual here, then weeks of frosts and temperatures down to -10c.

So I blanked a couple of times and lost interest, my old bones ache too much in these temperatures anyway!

February has seen the sun return, but still freezing temperatures overnight. I decided I needed a fishing fix and thought an afternoon at a swim facing the sun would be a good tonic.

I had two rods today. One was to try for the expected barbel and the other would cast a double 18mm boilie bait as far downstream as I could manage. Not much chance of a carp in February but it's a shame to miss the opportunity.

One of the reasons to pick this swim is to catch the winter sun, I hate getting cold now! Temperatures should reach 14 c this afternoon, despite it being -4 c this morning. In the sun, with no wind, it would feel much warmer!

View attachment 40051

My barbel rod had a couple of plucks, quite determined pulls but not hooked. I changed to a slimmer bait, two 10mm boilies and a thin coat of paste. Finally hooked a fish, a barbel of about 3.5lbs.

I dug my thermometer out to check the river temperature - it was only just 6 c. Oh Dear! or words to that effect! I felt my chances of a decent catch slipping away!

But I decided to stick it out with the big bait downstream, you never know!

A couple of hours past and I had two definite taps on that rod. Something was showing interest - patience required now!

Then the rod tip pulled down 6" and my hand reached the rod just as the fish took off. This fish ran 50 yds against heavy drag and I had to follow it downstream whilst dragging my landing net. It managed another powerful 50 yd run and was going around the river bend, fortunately the river level was dropping and I waded through the muddy bank to find the solid, stony river bed.

Now I only had my wellies on and the river was thigh deep this side. Easy decision to make, I wanted this fish badly, so I waded out about 20 metres so I could keep my line out of the trees.

Finally I stopped the fish before it reached the log-jam of trees under the cliffs downstream. It took about 15 minutes to bring the fish back upstream, a few more runs but it was tired now. So was I!

When I saw its profile I thought it might make 20 lbs. But once it was in the net I saw the width of its back, then when I lifted the net I judged this carp as close to 30 lb.

So after resting the fish, and regaining my composure, I decide to weigh it properly. Back up the bank it weighed 27lbs....and a bit!

View attachment 40052

A glorious February carp in great condition!

I took it back to the river, rested it for a few minutes. But it was still quite frisky and anxious to go home....

View attachment 40053

Despite being exhausted and soaked I put another bait out. One more good take, this time a 4lb barbel....

View attachment 40054

The sun had now dropped behind the cliffs and I was in shadow. Temperature would drop to freezing again soon so time for me to head home 🐟

Great report & photos Steve! Couple of real nice fish. 🎣🎣👍👍

These carp never look huge in the water, it's their width rather than their belly that gives them weight. Look at the shoulders on that last carp I caught - pure fishy muscle! The first couple of runs from these river Lot carp is scary, I preset my drag the same way as if I was shark fishing. So many snags, you have to be in control instantly!

Yes, that is exactly why for the last 15 years I have limited my carp fishing to the French rivers. Most pond carp are fat bellied mud pigs and very ugly, but river carp are streamlined and pure muscle. Nothing beats that first run from a decent sized river carp. (y)

Yes, that is exactly why for the last 15 years I have limited my carp fishing to the French rivers. Most pond carp are fat bellied mud pigs and very ugly, but river carp are streamlined and pure muscle. Nothing beats that first run from a decent sized river carp. (y)

Only one of the carp I have caught from the Lot looked like a lake fish. Don't know where this one got its genes from but I reckon it must have been stocked to help restore dwindling numbers of the wild common carp.....

29.5lb carp March 21.jpg

Thank goodness the native commons are still fairly numerous, these are much more typical.......

Carp of 34lb, The Garden.jpg
Carp 14 2020.jpgIMG_20200912_104538799_HDR.jpg

Even a mid-double wild common puts up a better fight than that almost 30lb "ugly" carp!

My previous carp experience was catching a few small wild commons (in Scotland, of all places!) about 40 years ago. I feel privileged to be able to fish the magnificent river Lot for such wonderful carp now. At 70 I am fortunate to be alive and still mobile, considering all the health problems!

Fishing feeds my dreams, there is no pain there! Forever 18 in my head (that was a good year for big fish as well!) 🐟

1.jpg

Photo by the late Ian Gillespie. My apologies, just need to show that bass off now and again! 12 pounds 7 ozs caught at Southwold, Suffolk.

The river has been returning to healthy levels after heavy rain for a couple of weeks. Or course, high on the Massif, it fell as snow! That snow has slowly melted and fed into the river keeping its temperature down to around 8c-10c. The fishing has been slow due to that but I have still picked up a few barbel, chub and bream.

Finally the water temperature hit 11c and I found another carp to take my bait, this time a 21 pound fish.....

Carp 21 lbs the Garden 30 03 23.jpg

.....and on a trip upriver, a massive (for me now!) 40 minute drive, I managed a barbel of 8 lb 13 ozs. That seems to be about as big as they get in the Lot, so I am very pleased!.....

Barbel 8 13 10423.jpg

The weather is generally improving, mostly fine and sunny. Just enough rain to keep the river running at a good level, things are looking up!

Sally and I took the camper van to a village about 90 minutes drive up the Lot valley. First outing of the season for us and try to break things in gently. Of course I would be fishing, some of the time anyway!

IMG_20230421_081642.jpg
IMG_20230419_154809.jpg

The fishing was limited to two late afternoon into early evening sessions, maybe 10 hours in total. I only caught three fish - but what fish they were!

Second cast into a little eddy resulted in a nice bream of 6 lb 11 ozs.......

IMG_20230419_164024.jpg

The river had been flowing hard when we arrived so that eddy looked the best bet. As often happens the barrage upstream at Entragues eventually shut off and the slower river flow allowed me to put a bigger bait out to the middle of the river, about a 60 yd cast. Quite a few bites there and eventually I hooked a good chub.....

1682076803788.jpg

Scale perfect and deep bodied it went 4 lb 7 ozs......Wonderful! :love:

So I went to bed happy that night!

Sally and I took a good walk the next day, found this viewpoint of the river, with a bit of history attached (if you can read french!)....

IMG_20230420_120215.jpg

Basically says it was a suspension bridge blown up by some Scottish guy!

That afternoon another short fishing session brought me this....

IMG_20230420_221640.jpg

A great carp of 35 lbs, I cropped the photo as my face shows I may be about to have a heart attack. The river is an almost vertical 8 foot drop from the bank, I had to climb down and then lift myself and the fish back up. At almost 71 I am well past that carry-on! Amazing what a bit of adrenaline will do!o_O

Sally was not too happy with this, at first concerned about me and then about the fish. But both the fish and I are still alive and kicking/swimming, whatever! ;)

Last edited:
Another brilliant write-up Steve! Well done - some nice Fish caught. 🎣🎣👍👍

Another brilliant write-up Steve! Well done - some nice Fish caught. 🎣🎣👍👍
The Lot is a brilliant river!

.....and I am a "Jammy" angler! Turn up at a new piece of river, spend a handful of hours fishing with NO PRE-BAITING....and catch three top specimens!

Probably said this before....."River of Dreams - please don't wake me up!"

The carp and barbel often graze up and down a section of river, usually just off the main current. I just whack out a big boilie with a PVA mesh bag full of pellets and crushed boilies, then sit patiently and wait for something to hook itself!

OK, there are sometimes refinements and I do occasionally bait a likely swim with a few boilies. But, it's basically a good rod that will cast a few ounces, a reel with a decent drag holding enough 30 lb braid, a bolt rig with a strong hook......and abundant patience and confidence that these big fish will be there - eventually!

It's a bit like sea fishing really! ;)

The Lot is a brilliant river!

.....and I am a "Jammy" angler! Turn up at a new piece of river, spend a handful of hours fishing with NO PRE-BAITING....and catch three top specimens!

Probably said this before....."River of Dreams - please don't wake me up!"

The carp and barbel often graze up and down a section of river, usually just off the main current. I just whack out a big boilie with a PVA mesh bag full of pellets and crushed boilies, then sit patiently and wait for something to hook itself!

OK, there are sometimes refinements and I do occasionally bait a likely swim with a few boilies. But, it's basically a good rod that will cast a few ounces, a reel with a decent drag holding enough 30 lb braid, a bolt rig with a strong hook......and abundant patience and confidence that these big fish will be there - eventually!

Close but no cigar 🚬

Close but no cigar 🚬
I do miss my sea fishing! But on average these river fish are bigger than most I caught sea fishing. It would be nice to catch something worth eating as well!

In June I will be in Ramsgate, then on to Anglesey. Hopefully I can fish somewhere in the sea? :unsure:

Second cast into a little eddy resulted in a nice bream of 6 lb 11 ozs.

The French anglers don't seem like bream !

Normally they seem to bump them on the head from what I have witnessed over the years, and a local guy once told me that in French waters there are way too many Bream, which seem to thrive and multiply to pest proportions.

I remember fishing a private lake in the eastern Loire that had not seen a line in 30 years, the first fish I landed was a 14lb bream !

I think the attitude of younger anglers in France has changed in recent years. There is a great deal of education happening by the fishing associations and the ethos is very much "No Kill" and always sporting methods of fishing promoted. Young anglers here generally seem to have a healthy outlook on the environment as well. Rarely seem to see litter by the river (or anywhere else!) even in the holiday season.

Hate to say this but it's the UK that is slipping back now, little respect by holiday makers with litter and s**t left in some of the loveliest areas. Water companies dumping untreated sewage whenever it suits their profits and the government unwilling to become involved at almost any stage (what IS the point of government?)

Here in central southern France I am surrounded by beautiful countryside that is cared for by the people and the authorities. That's how it should be in the UK, that's how it was when I was a child.

Brits (me included before I learnt better) tend to laugh at the French with their " arrogance" and their strikes. but they are proud and do not accept when their quality of life is being eroded. They are passionate about their country and quite used to making their point to whatever their government tries to do, they do not accept being "ruled" by arrogant political classes. I think the last time those types got too powerful the peasant classes started lopping heads off with guillotines! That is no bad attitude and the ruling classes are not allowed to forget!

UK? so much lost, it's a shame!

Sorry, something tweaked my political brain, I am a peasant at heart!... and I am both sad and angry with what has been happening in the UK.

I hope one day the UK rivers will be clean again, I hope there will be easier access for the common people. But I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, one reason I am living what I have left of my life here in France.

River map France.png

I think the attitude of younger anglers in France has changed in recent years. There is a great deal of education happening by the fishing associations and the ethos is very much "No Kill" and always sporting methods of fishing promoted. Young anglers here generally seem to have a healthy outlook on the environment as well. Rarely seem to see litter by the river (or anywhere else!) even in the holiday season.

Hate to say this but it's the UK that is slipping back now, little respect by holiday makers with litter and s**t left in some of the loveliest areas. Water companies dumping untreated sewage whenever it suits their profits and the government unwilling to become involved at almost any stage (what IS the point of government?)

Here in central southern France I am surrounded by beautiful countryside that is cared for by the people and the authorities. That's how it should be in the UK, that's how it was when I was a child.

Brits (me included before I learnt better) tend to laugh at the French with their " arrogance" and their strikes. but they are proud and do not accept when their quality of life is being eroded. They are passionate about their country and quite used to making their point to whatever their government tries to do, they do not accept being "ruled" by arrogant political classes. I think the last time those types got too powerful the peasant classes started lopping heads off with guillotines! That is no bad attitude and the ruling classes are not allowed to forget!

UK? so much lost, it's a shame!

Sorry, something tweaked my political brain, I am a peasant at heart!... and I am both sad and angry with what has been happening in the UK.

I hope one day the UK rivers will be clean again, I hope there will be easier access for the common people. But I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, one reason I am living what I have left of my life here in France.

View attachment 43353

I wish we had made a permanent move to our 'shack' in France and got ourselves in the system years ago Steve. I love it over there. My failing health and Wifey's elderly Mum with her Dementia means it will probably never happen now. 😥😥

Sally and I have returned to France after 3 weeks visiting friends and family in England, Wales and Ireland. I did not make time to fish!

The few rivers I did look at appeared stale, our friends in the Peak district were complaining of their local river being polluted by sewage.

So, very glad to be back in France where environmental matters are considered important politically. I know first hand that various authorities here work hard to ensure my local waters are cared for - and fishermen respected!

Quite timely I found this piece in the Guardian......https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/24/environment-france-emmanuel-macron-crisis-uk?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR1rZoba3snFcGAkr6ffknwJN0xwIxonLbJVt7OmfMT6XB86E1XeUTUrAZc

Might be worth a read! 🐟

Just after we returned from our UK trip I went down with Covid, two days later Sally developed a fever as well. My fishing buddy had popped around to drop off some plants he had cultivated for us, he only spent 20 minutes outside our house chatting.....but two days later he had Covid as well! What a bugger of an illness this is!

Anyway, I had forgotten to report a fishing/camping trip to Cajarc just before our holiday. Only two fish over a morning and evening fishing but they were decent barbel.......

IMG_20230526_225310.jpg

IMG_20230527_221232.jpg

Sally is an excellent "ghillie" now. She nets the fish and takes the photos, then does the shopping walk into town and knocks up a decent chilli dinner......

IMG_20230526_200019.jpg

Yes, I am such a lucky man!!!!

A few days ago, whilst still suffering from Covid, I fished the town side of this stretch. Only one bite, but after several minutes with the rod doubled over and the fish heading towards the bridge, it must have been a big silure (Wels catfish). So I lacked the energy and will to deal with it and tightened the drag, eventually the hooked pulled out. Barbel sized hooks (size 6) struggle to grip in the toothy pads that line the jaws of silure, so if you pull hard enough the hook usually slips off.

I was mightily relieved! ;)

Just after we returned from our UK trip I went down with Covid, two days later Sally developed a fever as well. My fishing buddy had popped around to drop off some plants he had cultivated for us, he only spent 20 minutes outside our house chatting.....but two days later he had Covid as well! What a bugger of an illness this is!

Anyway, I had forgotten to report a fishing/camping trip to Cajarc just before our holiday. Only two fish over a morning and evening fishing but they were decent barbel.......

View attachment 47743

View attachment 47744

Sally is an excellent "ghillie" now. She nets the fish and takes the photos, then does the shopping walk into town and knocks up a decent chilli dinner......

View attachment 47745

Yes, I am such a lucky man!!!!

A few days ago, whilst still suffering from Covid, I fished the town side of this stretch. Only one bite, but after several minutes with the rod doubled over and the fish heading towards the bridge, it must have been a big silure (Wels catfish). So I lacked the energy and will to deal with it and tightened the drag, eventually the hooked pulled out. Barbel sized hooks (size 6) struggle to grip in the toothy pads that line the jaws of silure, so if you pull hard enough the hook usually slips off.

I was mightily relieved! ;)
Very civilised fishing.

Back