• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod doesn’t fit together anymore

2much

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Took the old mk1 century TTSM out of the shed for a clean as I’d fancied taking to the beach today. Luckily I thought I’d better check it still went together and no, I can’t put it together at all…
Don’t want to sand the male joint but was thinking a light lubricant might be best ? Would something like wd40 work do you think?
asking before I do anything!!! ?

thanks all

Took the old mk1 century TTSM out of the shed for a clean as I’d fancied taking to the beach today. Luckily I thought I’d better check it still went together and no, I can’t put it together at all…
Don’t want to sand the male joint but was thinking a light lubricant might be best ? Would something like wd40 work do you think?

thanks all
@stan m would be a good guy for info. When I first had my Conti rod new, it didn't go together very far, so I gave it a good shove, then couldn't get it apart. Since then, I've given it a THIN smear of Silicone grease, and no more problems. Clean both parts of the joint with soapy water & dry beforehand. If your rod has been in the shed, damp may be responsible - leave it upright in a warm room with the joints downwards. WD40 might help in the short time, but it evaporates and might cause the rod to stick. Having asked around when mine got stuck, I was told NEVER sand the joints. If a joint does ever get stuck togther, put it between 2 bags of frozen peas for 30mins - with a couple of bits of that grip mat, it usually will come apart OK. Hope that helps.

thanks all

thanks all
I went through all that last year and found I was trying to fit the wrong top in ! Doh!

My TTSM is a bitch. Warm or cold it’s just too big, basically.
Already got stuck once at home and 10 minutes with a bag of ice sorted it but when I use it, I just can’t put it together as far as I’d like.
Not done anything to it, just figured wear and tear would have to be the answer

Already got stuck once at home and 10 minutes with a bag of ice sorted it but when I use it, I just can’t put it together as far as I’d like.

Get some 3n1 grease (not oil) or similar make. Coat the male section and slowly screw it into the female section. Might need to do this a good few times. Clean off after every attempt. The grease acts as a lubricant and the screwing action slowly shaves off microscopic carbon particles. Depends how bad a fit, after half hour you should have a perfect fit. (roughly 15 -18 mm of male still showing)

If none of the grease available you can do it with butter or marg.

Last edited:
Get some 3n1 grease (not oil) or similar make. Coat the male section and slowly screw it into the female section. Might need to do this a good few times. Clean off after every attempt. The grease acts as a lubricant and the screwing action slowly shave off microscopic carbon particles. Depends how bad a fit, after half hour you should have a perfect fit. (roughly 15 -18 mm of male still showing)

If none of the grease available you can do it with butter or marg.
Many thanks Stan, I’ll try that when I’ve got a spare moment ?

You screw in and out quickly then, not ease it in? No pun intended!
Screw in slowly or quickly as long as it is turning (I`ll ignore the pun????? think it was an innuendo rather than a pun). Just as much as you can handle without getting blisters. We saw what happened to Tommo a couple of days back when he went all girlie wirly over a wee blistery chappie. Took 8 can of special brew to calm him and clear the tears.

Yes, been in the shed a few years…
It’s in the house now warming up and I’ll try what Stan said with the greese. ?

Screw in slowly or quickly as long as it is turning (I`ll ignore the pun????? think it was an innuendo rather than a pun). Just as much as you can handle without getting blisters. We saw what happened to Tommo a couple of days back when he went all girlie wirly over a wee blistery chappie. Took 8 can of special brew to calm him and clear the tears.
Oi!!! My rods go together fine the sand off the beach wears them in lovely, messing about with grease soap etc ffks! Also my rods are permanently assembled outside in the yard in all weathers!

I had a problem with a new AFAW 6 plus bait rod. The spigot was very tight from day one and it was a pain to separate the two halves on the beach. I gave the male part of the spigot a good clean with “Brasso” on a clean duster. The very mild abrasion did the trick. No more problems putting the two sections together or separating them.

I've got 2 CCMs and have this problem every time, it must be a common problem with century as I've heard people say many times.
I got pissed off in the end and put very fine sandpaper on them, seems ok last time I used them

Back