• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod doesn’t fit together anymore

Century are a bitch for this all the centurys I have had and the new graphex are just as bad mine are kept in the house and they do it time and time again I have done all the cleaning with soapy water cleaning and spraying with dry silicone spray have had it with them now there all up for sale not fit for purpose

I believe that all carbon absorbs moisture, and swells? so guess that's what's happened if its been in a damp shed.

As already said try and dry it out then twist together with a bit of grease, cleaning off any carbon residue, and repeating till its OK.

Century do in fact recommend a very light spray of WD40 with PTFE. And rub off any excess. Factory rods are sent out like that I believe.

Wasn’t candle wax supposed to be good for greasing rod joints??
That tightens them up. I use it on one or two that have become loose.

I know it’s not really best practice but the rods are pretty old and it only needs doing very very occasionally so it works for me.

You are easy confused. Don`t use grease to simply spray as you assemble for fishing. The grease I`m talking about is used while working on the joint.:rolleyes:
Vaseline works very well and after a bit you can judge how it's cutting by the feel.

NOTE it will take ages then suddenly the vaseline carbon cutting compound will reach the correct "mix" and now you have to be very careful as it will become hyper efficient compared to before!!! always stop clean measure very frequently to preserve the life of your joint.

I had a similar problem with one of my Penn XR's. I used 600 grit wet & dry wrapped around the spigot and very gently rotate the spigot end of the rod, then used a 4b pencil lead all around the spigot and now works fine. Job done (y)

give the joints a good wash with warm slightly soapy water, use a bottle brush on the female joint. When dry spray both joints with a dry PTFE lubricant spray ( screwfix sell them about £8)
This is whats on the Century rod care card that comes with the rods and it worked for me.
I recently bought two second hand but hardly used, however the joints were so tight I couldn't get them anywhere near where they should be. After the above treatment, glide together silky smooth

I assume those responding to this thread and offering advice realise it`s from 2021
It seems it re-appeared from the vault at post #28! 😂😂

I've been checking rods.
One [actually my last zzipy] has 24mm gap but the "male" is also quite long enough to give a good length of joint.
Bit loath to do anything tbh, 24mm is more than I'd like but you know It's also close to my own self imposed limit I'll live with it for now and see if/how it wears.
It's not like you could give em a ring for a replacement section like.....
Edit Just tried Stans advice about 3 in 1 ptfe spray now down to 20.5 that'll do.

Last edited:
Back