• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod grip for multipliers with no level wind?

Kine262

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I have recently had a couple of new multiplier rods that have moveable reel seats, but I am finding the rod slightly difficult to hold with my left hand when retrieving a cast. I used to hook my little finger around the front coaster as I held the rod to stop it twisting as I wound in, and then I could use my thumb to get a level line lay on the reel, but with the new reel seats this option isn't available. The extra diameter of the reel seat also makes it difficult to get a good grip as well as being able to reach the front of the reel to get a good line lay.

Do I hold the rod higher up with my left hand? Should I try using a coaster as well as the reel seat? (Makes using a moveable reel seat pretty pointless doesn't it?) What do others do?

Use a fixed spool.....?

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

I know some reel seats can be locked into place with a coaster so that may be an option like you say.
Or could you just remove the reel seat and use coasters on the rod? I did this when I had a multi. Pretty easy to do and shouldn't cost alot for a couple of coasters from breakaway or somewhere.

Use a fixed spool.....?

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

I know some reel seats can be locked into place with a coaster so that may be an option like you say.
Or could you just remove the reel seat and use coasters on the rod? I did this when I had a multi. Pretty easy to do and shouldn't cost alot for a couple of coasters from breakaway or somewhere.
Coffee grinders? ha ha :ROFLMAO:
What about those rods that had a trigger grip?

I have recently had a couple of new multiplier rods that have moveable reel seats, but I am finding the rod slightly difficult to hold with my left hand when retrieving a cast. I used to hook my little finger around the front coaster as I held the rod to stop it twisting as I wound in, and then I could use my thumb to get a level line lay on the reel, but with the new reel seats this option isn't available. The extra diameter of the reel seat also makes it difficult to get a good grip as well as being able to reach the front of the reel to get a good line lay.

Do I hold the rod higher up with my left hand? Should I try using a coaster as well as the reel seat? (Makes using a moveable reel seat pretty pointless doesn't it?) What do others do?

Hiya Kine,
I went for the coaster option. I bought the Breakaway nylon coasters as they're big enough to fit on the realseats hood (the bit the reel foot sits in), mine are permanently left on & the reelseat is still moveable.
Hope that makes sense.
Rick?

Hiya Kine,
I went for the coaster option. I bought the Breakaway nylon coasters as they're big enough to fit on the realseats hood (the bit the reel foot sits in), mine are permanently left on & the reelseat is still moveable.
Hope that makes sense.
Rick?
Cheers Rick,

After asking the question this morning I have been out in the garage trying different options out, including Stan's option of just holding the rod above the reel, but I really like having my thumb close to the reel to do a good line lay, as well as still having a grip strong enough to stop the rod twisting as I reel in.

I never used to have a problem when I used to use just coasters, so I am going to take your advice and order a couple of pairs of Breakaway coasters and give that a go.

Cheers to everyone for the replies though.

Will

I just hold the rod above the reel when using a multi.

As a compromise you could always add a coaster above the reel seat to grip on to. Best of both then?

I just hold the rod above the reel when using a multi.

As a compromise you could always add a coaster above the reel seat to grip on to. Best of both then?
Or superglue your hand - sorry couldn't resist silly comment :giggle:

Back