• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ryobi Atlantic 3246

PeteG

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I appreciate this page is probably for more modern gear, but I thought you might like to see this reel I picked up in Cash Generator last week.
I'm not great at casting any distance so it'll be fun when I get to try it out with this Ryobi. It weighs in at 1.5lb, that's heavier than anything I
caught off the beach last year! The gear ratio is 3.3:1 and it takes 330 yards of 20lb mono. The line comes over the top bar, apparently this is
to stop backlash, and you cast with your thumb over the brake lever, ready to engage once the leads hits the water.
Quite an easy reel to work on as you can remove the main gear and drag washers without completely stripping the that side plate down,
but the drag spring does seem a little OTT. Japanese quality from around 1972.

RA 3246 RV.jpg

RA 3246 LV.jpg

RA 3246 Drag Spring.jpg

looks fun!
Just need to buy a 15 mile spool of line and some plasters for your thumb!
I love a bit of "state of the ark" gear have some proper fun with it!.

Definitely Pete. I can't wait to use this Penn 77, I reckon the plasters with come in handy! ?

FB_IMG_1649194427559.jpg

It looks a bitch to cast mate, good luck using it ,will be interesting to know how you get on with it,

I was thinking the weight of it might suit reel down, but I don't have the grip in my left hand anymore. Like you say, will be interesting trying it out Wolf.

I was thinking the weight of it might suit reel down, but I don't have the grip in my left hand anymore. Like you say, will be interesting trying it out Wolf.
I had a shakespeare around 1980 it was a multiplier, best described as light boat with a level wind. I binned the level wind and could get some distance out of it, I would love to find one just to give it a thrash.
My next reels were daiwa 7700 fs and penn squidder.....
Rods came from woolworths, then a daiwa moonraker from Gerrys of Wimbledon..... First Hayling and Southsea, then Selsey.
Then I got a car and off to Dungeness as soon as the wind blew in the Autumn and Chesil in the Summer.
That old gear could still do the job today.

I had a shakespeare around 1980 it was a multiplier, best described as light boat with a level wind. I binned the level wind and could get some distance out of it, I would love to find one just to give it a thrash.
Rods came from woolworths, then a daiwa moonraker from Gerrys of Wimbledon..... First Hayling and Southsea, then Selsey.
Then I got a car and off to Dungeness as soon as the wind blew in the Autumn and Chesil in the Summer.

I've seen a few old Shakespeare reels lately Pete, and I have been tempted to see how they fish, or at least strip one down to see what the insides are like! The Daiwa Moonraker was my first proper beach caster with a Mitchell reel. To this day I can't remember what happened to them...I used to dream of fishing Dungeness as my dad fished there a lot in the 50's. I'll get there one day!

Was the Woolworths gear branded as Winchfield?

Was the Woolworths gear branded as Winchfield?
Yep Winfield, back in the day it was not bad gear given the competition like milbro, they made a silver 3-5 bass a blue lighter bass, a green 4-8 and all were quite decent.
Then daiwa rewrote the book and conoflex joined in.
But I did fish the mighty ness using a 4-8 oz winfield rod, wearing a one piece nylon waterproof set of motorcycle waterproofs in a storm and caught cods. October 1980.

It was "Winfield" Shirleycodlin, middle name of Frank Winfield Woolworth who established the company.
I seem to remember that the lighter fixed spool reels were branded WInfield, but I had one that was the spitting image of an Intrepid reel I also had at the time.

I seem to remember that the lighter fixed spool reels were branded WInfield, but I had one that was the spitting image of an Intrepid reel I also had at the time.

Apparently some of their gear was designed by the South Bend Tackle Co, but most were copies of other manufacturers and were made in Japan. Sadly I don't know enough about Vintage tackle to spot the South Bend designs!

Here's a little Intrepid I picked up a few weeks back.

Intrepid Monarch 66 Red F.jpg

Yep Winfield, back in the day it was not bad gear given the competition like milbro, they made a silver 3-5 bass a blue lighter bass, a green 4-8 and all were quite decent.
Then daiwa rewrote the book and conoflex joined in.
But I did fish the mighty ness using a 4-8 oz winfield rod, wearing a one piece nylon waterproof set of motorcycle waterproofs in a storm and caught cods. October 1980.
I started off with the green 4-8
Cork handle and huge chrome reel seat.

I've seen a few old Shakespeare reels lately Pete, and I have been tempted to see how they fish, or at least strip one down to see what the insides are like! The Daiwa Moonraker was my first proper beach caster with a Mitchell reel. To this day I can't remember what happened to them...I used to dream of fishing Dungeness as my dad fished there a lot in the 50's. I'll get there one day!
I wouldn't bother Pete, Dungie has been fishing rubbish lately.

Apparently some of their gear was designed by the South Bend Tackle Co, but most were copies of other manufacturers and were made in Japan. Sadly I don't know enough about Vintage tackle to spot the South Bend designs!

Here's a little Intrepid I picked up a few weeks back.

View attachment 25121
I think I've still got at least one somewhere! I also had some old Mitchell small fixed spools but think I've now sold them all. Overdue for a turn out! Can't find the photos of the Mitchell one, but I think this Intrepid sold on Gumtree:

1649853405418.png

I started off with the green 4-8
Cork handle and huge chrome reel seat.
I've still got a Milbro 12ft beachcaster from about 50 years ago that my Old Man bought me - similar thing, Cork handles, huge chrome reel seat and a horrible stale mustard colour!

1649853798471.png

Back