• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Screw in rod guide.

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I've gone all retro.

Does anyone know where I can get a screw in butt guide for a Brent 12ft surf caster?

Thread size looks like m4 but I'm guessing it will be an imperial equivalent.

Thank you 👍
16671321512838847141744105552916.jpg16671321736315193394061556144200.jpg

Last edited:
Not the foggiest unfortunately Shirls - never seen one like that before, and I've got some antique rods here. Some would say I'm an Antique too! 😂😂

After an hour looking in my old rod building box.... I know I have one, it came off a vortex reverse taper beach caster circa 1976.
Let me know if you get one, in the meantime I will have a think where it is..... keep an eye of facebook local theres often something dragged out if grand dads shed.

Hi I do have one but unfortunately I’m still using it. Brought an old Daiwa super cast as part of a bundle without the ring. No luck on line but After many months of scouring around tackle boxes at boot sales etc eventually found one. Apologies not much help I know but this is what you’re looking for & I will keep a lookout.

Attachments

• D6715070-B682-4419-93CB-D56C64E15ABD.jpeg
    D6715070-B682-4419-93CB-D56C64E15ABD.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 19
  • C6664072-C7E5-4CFD-A32E-6C41F7E41252.jpeg
    C6664072-C7E5-4CFD-A32E-6C41F7E41252.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 028EDFFB-5570-4A93-9C11-1A08C05B6D72.jpeg
    028EDFFB-5570-4A93-9C11-1A08C05B6D72.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 18
I found Retro Tackle after a search, but no screw in Rod rings listed.

Are the threads on the rods internal, or external with a collar Shirls, like that shown by @Just one last cast ?
Doesn't look like yours has the square inside it to keep the ring at right angles to the rod. I'm still on a search mission!
@stan m might have some info?

I found Retro Tackle after a search, but no screw in Rod rings listed.

Are the threads on the rods internal, or external with a collar Shirls, like that shown by @Just one last cast ?
Doesn't look like yours has the square inside it to keep the ring at right angles to the rod. I'm still on a search mission!
@stan m might have some info?
Good observation......... the one I have somewhere is definitely a square that locates in a square....... square peg in a round hole that aint gonna work!.

Good observation......... the one I have somewhere is definitely a square that locates in a square....... square peg in a round hole that aint gonna work!.
Agree Pete! If it's an internal thread, I can't see what would keep the ring at the correct angle to the rod? 🤔🤔

Drawn a blank with me searching anyway. 😢😢

On old fixed spool rods the bottom guide was often very large, so in order to make life easier, they unscrewed for transport.
They went out of fashion sharpish in favour of the fold down guides. Folk kept losing the guide or forgetting to take it. Finding one will be pot luck.

They went out of fashion sharpish in favour of the fold down guides. Folk kept losing the guide or forgetting to take it. Finding one will be pot luck.

😭😭😭
I thought if anyone could help it would be you Stan.
Well, if you do think of anywhere I may be able to get one, please let me know.
I'd love to keep it as original as possible.

Agree Pete! If it's an internal thread, I can't see what would keep the ring at the correct angle to the rod? 🤔🤔

Drawn a blank with me searching anyway. 😢😢
They may both be similar, the middle pic on @Just one last cast shows tape around where it enters the rod. This part "could" be what screws in the internal thread on the rod and the "square" end for the ring attachment then just needs to be lined up.

I spy with my little eye a lovely old ABU with a giant ringpiece for 30 squids!.

Back