• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast SCS - not the sofas

Leginfisher

Reaction score
SCS - South Coast Sole. I do enjoy targeting the sole and here’s a brief round up of this year’s efforts.

Basically a very tough year. Often too windy or best tide times falling on a school night. Probably had about half a dozen sessions between June and last night. Have managed to catch a fair number of fish in each session just using lug and rag on size 4s. Mostly thornbacks, smoothie pups, straps, dogfish, common eels, dabs, plaice, flounders, pout, whiting and schoolies.

Did manage a couple of sessions with some sole, the best one being on a school night as it was the first break in the weather for ages! Had 6 keeper sole and couple of bass and put back about 7-8 slips. Also had a dozen dogfish, a couple of small plaice and 4 whiting. So an enjoyable busy session. Went back next night when a bit windier and had just 1 sole! Really need conditions to be spot on to have a good session on the sole.

Last night conditions weren’t perfect but best for a while. I had 2 plaice and my mate had a flounder and 3 slips. Quite a number of decent size whiting too but there were times when the bait came back untouched so not in plague proportions just yet. With a windy week forecast and small tides next weekend, I think that’s my sole fishing done for this year. Odd one or two I’m sure will come out but think the whiting will be hard to get past going forward.

Attachments

• IMG_4719.jpeg
    IMG_4719.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4717.jpeg
    IMG_4717.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4694.jpeg
    IMG_4694.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Well done Lif! Nice reoport & photos. 🎣🎣👍👍

some nice bags there leg the weathers been shite this year haven’t seen many decent bags of sole down here either mate
Yeah, the conditions just haven’t been right and early season when they were you couldn’t get past the others species. Rarely used to see rays and smoothies on lug but now there must be so many small ones out there they seem to eat anything! Might have to head Chesil way for sone codling before Christmas as the fishing here is pretty much over till spring unless you like dogs and ting. Just hope there’s a few more plaice next year and bigger ones as few and small mostly this year. Have been spoiled last few years with some very good plaice fishing.

Last edited:
I haven’t a great year on the plaice this year chesil placie are small and just haven’t got down to my local mark weather hasn’t helped mind still plenty of cid at chisel bud i usally get em when fish for sole 😂😂😂

Last edited:
SCS - South Coast Sole. I do enjoy targeting the sole and here’s a brief round up of this year’s efforts.

Basically a very tough year. Often too windy or best tide times falling on a school night. Probably had about half a dozen sessions between June and last night. Have managed to catch a fair number of fish in each session just using lug and rag on size 4s. Mostly thornbacks, smoothie pups, straps, dogfish, common eels, dabs, plaice, flounders, pout, whiting and schoolies.

Did manage a couple of sessions with some sole, the best one being on a school night as it was the first break in the weather for ages! Had 6 keeper sole and couple of bass and put back about 7-8 slips. Also had a dozen dogfish, a could have place and 4 whiting. So an enjoyable busy session. Went back next night when a bit windier and had just 1 sole! Really need conditions to be spot on to have a good session on the sole.

Last night conditions weren’t perfect but best for a while. I had a 2 plaice and my mate had a flounder and 3 slips. Quite a number of decent size whiting too but there were times when the bait came back untouched so not in plague proportions just yet. With a windy week forecast and small tides next weekend I think that’s my sole fishing done for this year. Odd one or two I’m sure will come out but think the whiting will be hard to get past going forward.
At least you managed to squeeze one more trip in Nigel. As you say, that will likely be the last realistic chance for this year due to the whiting numbers. Will catch up in the spring, hoping that next year’s plaice season is better than this one. Will probably nip down to Hayling this week if we get a weather break for a bit of sport fishing for schoolies. All the best, Bob.

I haven’t a great year on the plaice this year chesil placie are small and just haven’t got down to my local mark weather hasn’t helped mind still plenty of cid at chisel bud i usally get em when fish for sole 😂😂😂
I might have to drag myself down to Chesil if conditions are right in next few weeks. Long 3 hours + drive especially if you blank.🙈

Great report mate, nice mixed bag of fish too. Nice pics.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back