• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sea flies?

Algonquin

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
So, after dabbling with and really enjoying lrf I've bought an Agility XPS #8 fly rod to have a go at onshore fly fishing. Can anyone please recommend a decent set of starter flies to get me going?
I'm gonna order these to begin with......
https://www.fishingmegastore.com/sa...water-assorted-sea-trout-flies-x-20~4199.html
and wondered if there are better, or maybe something more suited to fishing off the North East coast (Wearside, Tyneside & Northumberland)?
Maybe some shrimp like flies?
TIA for all suggestions.

Al

Cheers for that @Ollieollie . They seem to be reasonably priced. (y)
I've read Joe walker's recent article in Sea Angler but confess to being a tad bewhildered by the choice, and I guess need some guidance as to what I need without spending big dosh? tbh I'm not even sure about what fish I'm likely to encounter/target off the North east coast?

Cheers for that @Ollieollie . They seem to be reasonably priced. (y)
I've read Joe walker's recent article in Sea Angler but confess to being a tad bewhildered by the choice, and I guess need some guidance as to what I need without spending big dosh? tbh I'm not even sure about what fish I'm likely to encounter/target off the North east coast?
Same as anything mate, get out and have a go. That will give you a good idea of what you actually need.

I got my saltwater flies from Glasgow angling,not sure if they still do them though it's worth a look,I've had a few bass on mine, hope this helps mate

Pollack probably the main fish, chance of bass and macks and less of a chance of sea trout. Clouser minnow copies are your best bet, maybe some large shrimp patterns as well if you aim to fish the beaches

So, after dabbling with and really enjoying lrf I've bought an Agility XPS #8 fly rod to have a go at onshore fly fishing. Can anyone please recommend a decent set of starter flies to get me going?
I'm gonna order these to begin with......
https://www.fishingmegastore.com/sa...water-assorted-sea-trout-flies-x-20~4199.html
and wondered if there are better, or maybe something more suited to fishing off the North East coast (Wearside, Tyneside & Northumberland)?
Maybe some shrimp like flies?
TIA for all suggestions.

Al
When I fly fished for sea trout & salmon on the River Teifi in West Wales, I used thunder & lightning with a teal blue & silver on the point. Had plenty of fish on them after dark - Sea Trout to 6.8lbs and Salmon to 16.2lbs. Worked for me. I use small (14) shrimp flies for mullet in tidal rivers down my neck of the woods - Adur, Arun, Sussex Ouse & Cuckmere rivers.

Forgot to put a 9'6" 6/7 fly rod and a Cortland 444 size 7 rocket taper weight forward floating line with a tapered tippet (de-greased).

image.jpg

These are all Clouser Minnows, and streamer lures of various types , most tied with dumbell eyes to keep the hook upright when retrieving ,all will take Bass, Pollack,Mackies ,Coalfish , Sea Trout , I have even had a flattie on one.
They are about 2-3 inches in length .
My salt water fly gear is 8/9 weight and a bit heftier than Beaches suggestion, I use a 9wt sinking shooting head with a straight 8 ft flourocarbon leader. The above setup gets the Clousers down quite fast .I usually fish off rock marks into deeper water .

I should say did use ,because I have developed RSI in my right wrist which makes casting a fly rod a pain, and almost impossible after a half hour or so.I do have a wrist support but it makes not a lot of difference really .

Dave

Last edited:
The sea trout have been prolific at Roker recently (y)

Fresh water fly man myself and really so fancy trying it on the sea one day, good luck

Plenty of flies under the seaweed on Worthing beach after a blow. ;)

Back