• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sea Hooks?

Any views on either circle hooks, barbed beak (long & short shanked) Aberdeen etc.
I tend to use long shanked barbed beak as it tends to keep the bait (worms etc) more secure.

Strong J bottom hook like a Sakuma 545 Pro, with an Octopus top hook (Sakuma 455 or Eagle Claw L2B) is quite a popular combination.

99.99% of my fishing is from our boat, so I very rarely use a pennel. I mostly use circles (Sakuma 440, Eagle Claw 2004 /2045, or Trokar TK619H), except for plaice fishing where I use a Sakuma 550 or 560 (both Aberdeen style), and Conger fishing where I use O'Shaunessy 10/0.

The plaice fishing is sometimes quite a difficult choice as we occasionally get Turbot, small eyed rays, and blond rays, so it needs to be quite a strong hook and most 'standard' Aberdeen's are thin wire hooks, which are designed to 'bend out', however, the Sakuma hooks (mainly 560) have passed the test with Turbot to 10lb, Small Eyed (Painted Ray) to 12lb and Blonds to over 20lb.

Check for sharpness and quality, as Mustads are now made in China, and the quality is variable !
Wel I didn’t pay for them so no harm if there shit I will just say I’ve been useing the mustard bass pro hook this year from the beach and it’s deadly sharp and I’ve bagged loads of bass with it

I use mustard hooks occasionally & find them reliable ,I only use my hooks once so don't know how long they stay sharp for
I am the same Wolf and buy them in bulk, use once then safely they get thrown away.

I use mustard hooks occasionally & find them reliable ,I only use my hooks once so don't know how long they stay sharp for
Mustard Hooks ?? Mmmm.... Colmans! 😋😋 😁😁

I carefully resharpen hooks with a diamond file (if bad) and then hone with piece of the double sided black and white nail files I nick off the GF😉

I carefully resharpen hooks with a diamond file (if bad) and then hone with piece of the double sided black and white nail files I nick off the GF😉
I've got a few of these lurking at home & in my tackle box from Lidl. £1.99. They had them in again a few weeks ago, but no idea whether there will still be any in stock. Ideal for touching up fishing knives, and there's a groove for sharpening hooks. Diamond bit stores in the handle when not in use.

1667409176007.png

A word about hook sharpeners.

Even with a diamond file, you will never get the same 'sharpness' as a chemically sharpened hook.

If I blunt a hook, then I just change it. A lot of my fishing is with slow jigs and I will often change the hooks a couple of times in a session.

On bigger hooks, if I am looking for quick penetration (oo-er) with the least amount of pressure, then I opt for the Eagle Claw Trokar hooks which have a 3 sided point and are based on surgical technology.

Hook technology has come on a long way, especially over the last 10 years, and we probably need to thank the carp fraternity for a lot of the innovation that has been carried over into all angling disciplines.

Last edited:
Varivas BMX or Mustad Viking Uptides.

Circles (bogo cheapo’s) up top every time.

A word about hook sharpeners.

Even with a diamond file, you will never get the same 'sharpness' as a chemically sharpened hook.

If I blunt a hook, then I just change it. A lot of my fishing is with slow jigs and I will often change the hooks a couple of times in a session.

On bigger hooks, if I am looking for quick penetration (oo-er) with the least amount of pressure, then I opt for the Eagle Claw Trokar hooks which have a 3 sided point and are based on surgical technology.

Hook technology has come on a long way, especially over the last 10 years, and we probably need to thank the carp fraternity for a lot of the innovation that has been carried over into all angling disciplines.
I find that with some patterns it's impossible to resharpen them but with others you can actually get a better point on them than the factory does. I think its perhaps down to the metals/alloys used rathrr than the chemical sharpening? Have a look at the JAG kit that the carp lads use and their results...

If you polish the metal parts of your terminal tackle with some PEEK metal polish and no other, you'll cast further too!

Back