• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast September round up.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I write this with a Covid muddled brain and while being bored (no, not like that - or that either) the only excitement (l should be so lucky) being when I cough or sneeze, and my lungs and diaphragm burn like a bastard! Different to last time when l was just a bit muzzy for a couple of days. No doubt I will be ok in a few days and back to chucking myself off roofs and falling out of trees again, like you do when you retire early. I seem to be good at that!

06/09/23. Weymouth Pleasure Pier.
Been there a few times this year and each time for me/us, have found that someone has forgotten to turn it on! By this l mean that so far this year l have not had any regular 50 - 100 plus fish type sessions at any venues. There was debate about where to park with @cap'nhaddock as the Pleasure Pier was £15 and the Council Office parking the other side was £6. This meant a £9 saving for a shortish walk. This was the agreed option. I was late leaving, l had just finished taking down a tree in my back garden on my own (total cost £30 and stocked a mate up with wood to burn for the winter) and I was off to Santa Pod for the drag racing (Tequila sunrises for breakfast and late nights) in a day or so after, so the cost savings went out of the window and I parked the van, with all its facilities, within 20ft of the pier.

Haddock made his way over and away we went, small hooks and bits of rag and a float out for any lurking gar, as I still need one for my hunt.

It was a great session. I had 10 species and it was a busy as a busy thing. Had Ballon, baillons and corkwing wrasse, pout, pollack, whiting, sand smelt, black bream and gilt head bream. One new species for the year a black goby.
20230907_064149.jpg
Of most note was that I had several baillons wrasse which are usually a bit rare, but Haddock had an easy double figures of them and a red mullet. I am not jealous of the red mullet. I am not jealous of the red mullet I am not jealous, etc, etc.
20230906_141840.jpg
20230906_124914.jpg
Something different.
20230906_131710.jpg

16/09/23. My patio!
I picked up a push golf trolley for £6. I only wanted it for the wheels to replace the single front wheel on my converted electric golf trolley. It is a massive aid getting to certain marks and just the job getting back up the zig zags along the Southbourne beach stretch. It will go over sand, but the front single wheel digs in a bit, so you have to go full power and "wheelie" it to get it over the loose stuff, hence the need to increase the contact area with the two wheels. Not tried it yet, but its got to be an improvement. Basically removed the front wheel and bolted in the new two wheels using stud bar, nyloc nuts and washers (from a mate) to secure and space the wheels. There is an old post of mine that goes through the original build.
20230916_154409.jpg
20230916_164921.jpg

17-18/09/23. Boscombe Pier.
Targets were squid and rays. There had been a fair amount of rain so the squid were unlikely. I usually don't bother about stuff like that I just give it a go and chuck a jig out under a float to fish itself. As far as that went. I saw one follow as I was checking the depth and I was not really concentrating, so did not stop winding and let it drop as they like a bit of that and will attack it. That was it for the squid.
However I did ok with my other target, rays in particular I needed an undulate to go with my small eye and thornie caught previously. I was fishing with my 10ft flattie rods and had a substantial bite. It felt good and l felt it was a ray. I was not wrong and a beautiful little undulate came up in the drop net. So pretty and one for the hunt!
20230917_213816.jpg
This was followed by 3 small eyes, and in between, also had sole, smoothie pups and scad.
20230917_224517.jpg
20230917_232506.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention the entertainment!

During all of this we were hit with thunder and lightning, which skirted us a bit, so not too bad. Then the rain hit, which after a bit eased. Then something new, it got real loud, real fast. Whats that, I ask Haddock. Squall I reckon, he says and so it was. Boom, rods were blown over, anything loose went off toward the shore along the pier. We were protected from all this by the long shelter, but while we waited it out, I felt more and more vulnerable as the structure was moving so much. If you stood without leaning on it, the pier itself was solid, but the shelter structure was moving far too much for my liking! The squall blew through and stopped as quickly as it started. I got a message from @DJDBazzer. Storm heading your way. I know l replied, we are watching it move inland. No the worst is to come, he says! Haddock checks his phone and shows it to me. Be here in half an hour. Do we make a run for it or sit it out? I got no where to be, says Haddock, and we were set for a late one (both got keys for the pier), and l had nothing pressing, so we stayed! Well rewarded with a super light show and being out at sea, but protected was pretty exciting. Again the fish were caught amongst this and somehow were caught in between the bad bits. The main flashy bits were nowhere near being over head. I know about rods and lightning, and it was discussed, and we agreed that the tall metal mast at the end would be the first to get hit. Then Haddock as he is taller than me so that's ok!
20231005_201407.jpg
Its not untill I write these things that I realise what an adventure this fishing lark can be!

Good luck if you are out.

Last edited:
The squall as recorded across the bay at Swanage which is somewhat more sheltered from a sou-westerly than where we were.

gust.png

Dangerous for anyone out on the sea with sails up.

Great roundup Goatee, some lovely fish, and nice pics too mate.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Fabulous round up/report Goatee and great photos too. Nice bit of work with the fishing & the trolley! 🎣🎣👍👍

Back