• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North West Session Number 3 - New Rods!!

CoarseanglerSteve

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After my recent "transfer" from the depths of coarse fishing, I had planned my third trip to the beach this week. After the first two trips (3 fish and 1 blank), I am definitely hooked on sea fishing. Since relocating/retiring to this area (the Fylde Coast) 18 months ago, coarse fishing locally holds no great appeal to me. Whilst I like the Ribble, it's closed season, so for now, the sea it is. Dabbled briefly with sea fishing about 25 years ago but that was it.

I took the plunge and after some sound advice from TSF members, now own a 14' Akios Fury and a 14' AFAW 6 and Bait, so was itching to give them a try.

Had intended on a few hours casting practice but other commitments put paid to that, so I went out last night on the (very) low tide and managed to pump 30 or so nice lugworm which would see me through todays' session. Much better results this time, but still a lot to learn.

Whilst the weather was far from ideal, nice and warm and sunny, I was surprised at how rough the sea still was after an extremely windy day yesterday. From my limited knowledge, I thought the swell, and the colour, might compensate a bit for the warm sun.

Tried a new area today, Rossall School for those that know it. Still fishing off sea defences, but lower to the water, so a bit more like beach fishing than the Gynn Wall.

I set up an hour or so before high water and the tide was racing in, making me have to retreat up the steps earlier than expected. Akios was out first with a 2 hook lug flapper. Pleased with how the rod casts, being light and tippy, I felt I could load and control the casts. Then set up the AFAW, which is far more of a beast and to be honest I think I need some practice to master loading it. Anyway, got a clipped down pennel rig with squid and lug out, just in case there were any better fish stupid enough to take a novice's bait!

Weed was a real pain early on, especially on the conti with a smaller tip ring. My leader knot was getting stuck on most retrieves, so good job I wasn't catching!

Fortunately that subdued a bit towards high water but it was 30 mins later that I had my first rattle. I struggled last time, missing a few bites, and wanted to wait longer today, as my coarse instincts are to strike when the tip moves! I had 2 such knocks but no fish and was worried I had missed my chance as the tide had turned now.
Another knock on the conti and i lifted into something, maybe more weed, or was it fish? Seconds later a small flattie broke the surface and a little plaice was swinging it's way to me :). Only a very small one, but most welcome, christening the new rod and it's another new species for me!!

Had another little tap a bit later but the tide was racing out now. I was all set to pack up but decided to give it 10 more minutes and follow the water moving my gear down onto the beach itself. Last cast I wound in a little whiting, again, another new species.

Avoided the blank, but some more questions posed now - how to cope with weed on the leader knot, need to practice casting the AFAW, still not too confident about whether to hit bites or leave them. But some positives, fished a new area, the conti rod casts well and am improving at pumping lug.

No pictures of fish today. Were small and as it was busy due to the good weather, I didn't want to be faffing about photographing small fish!!!

Again not an enthralling report of impressive fish so hope you don't mind me indulging myself by posting such reports :LOL:

CLfZuZ9VRDKkxdpSVtePOA.jpgVt6sh4kzQ3WFNnU+SkZ%mQ.jpg

Well done on getting a couple of fish mate ideal
Cheers John. With hindsight I think I should have fished the Gynn Wall again. Seen reports today of lots more fish being caught, including several raw (corrected ....ray!) , which is one of the species I am keen to catch!! Hey ho, will have to have another go later in the week maybe!

Last edited:
I have fished Rosall school and up past the hospital a few times, but always in the depths of winter, had quite a few cod from the area between the groynes .

You seem to be doing well with the worm pumping, the tides are quite big ATM so really it is the best time to try, I prefer summer mornings with early low springs when its warm and you can go without being dressed like an eskimo, only problem is that its a 60 odd mile drive for me, so unless I get at least a couple of hundred it isnt worth the drive really. ..... which is a bugger because I am crap at pumping worms, sometimes I seem to hit them every time, others I would have been better ordering them from the bait suppliers. ☹️

Wont be too long until the Ribble is open for business, I shall be giving it my customary visits again this year hopefully,but not until at least a couple of weeks into the season.I had my biggest Barbel from the Ribble so I have a soft spot for it. Nice fish in your avatar BTW .

BTW, you mention “several raw” above, I am hoping none of the fish you catch are “cooked “ ??

Dave

I have fished Rosall school and up past the hospital a few times, but always in the depths of winter, had quite a few cod from the area between the groynes .

You seem to be doing well with the worm pumping, the tides are quite big ATM so really it is the best time to try, I prefer summer mornings with early low springs when its warm and you can go without being dressed like an eskimo, only problem is that its a 60 odd mile drive for me, so unless I get at least a couple of hundred it isnt worth the drive really. ..... which is a bugger because I am crap at pumping worms, sometimes I seem to hit them every time, others I would have been better ordering them from the bait suppliers. ☹️

Wont be too long until the Ribble is open for business, I shall be giving it my customary visits again this year hopefully,but not until at least a couple of weeks into the season.I had my biggest Barbel from the Ribble so I have a soft spot for it. Nice fish in your avatar BTW .

BTW, you mention “several raw” above, I am hoping none of the fish you catch are “cooked “ ??

Dave
Ha ha, meant to say ray......I don't like fish apart from cod and chips, so sushi is definitely not for me!

Yea, pumping seems to be going OK. I am fortunate living minutes from the beach and being retired so I can pump for an hour and get the bait I need to go fishing later that day or the next day. I'll need to get a freezer in the garage if I want to stock up though. Can't see them being allowed in the kitchen!

I will try the Ribble again come June/July, but have a week on the Severn booked in June and September, which is where the avatar pic was taken. Think that one was about 8lb, so a good fish for the Middle Severn, but am yet to get a double (or indeed a Ribble barbel!).

Well done mate, sounds like a great learning trip.

That’s not meant to be patronising - you’ll really only learn by getting out and doing it, and doesn’t sound as if you’re doing much wrong.

The conti rod and weed issue kind of highlights one of the sea angling conundrums.
It’s great to use lighter tippy gear, but sometimes it makes life a bit harder if the conditions are a bit awkward.

For example I do a lot of surf beach bass fishing, but tend to use heavier beachcasters because if you need a gripper, I found that my bass rod would pretty much fold up in the surf.
Even my lighter beachcasters (which I prefer to use) can struggle on nights when the surf is powerful. And sometimes it has a huge power behind it.
Add weed and you’ve got real issues!
The trick would be to touch ledger with a bass rod and let a weight roll around, which is a fantastic method but rightly or wrongly, I do usually like fishing with a tripod and two static beachcasters rather than holding a rod for hours on end.

In your case, you might get around the weed knot issue by using a tapered leader, if the ground you’re fishing over is pretty clean?

But sometimes you just have to compromise on gear to match the conditions, if they’re causing issues.
It’s not that the fish are too powerful - most U.K. rods will handle most U.K. fish, but weed and waves and tides will have their own way.

But I’m sure you’ll manage and in time you’ll build up a bugger rod/tackle collection to give you a wider range of options.

After my recent "transfer" from the depths of coarse fishing, I had planned my third trip to the beach this week. After the first two trips (3 fish and 1 blank), I am definitely hooked on sea fishing. Since relocating/retiring to this area (the Fylde Coast) 18 months ago, coarse fishing locally holds no great appeal to me. Whilst I like the Ribble, it's closed season, so for now, the sea it is. Dabbled briefly with sea fishing about 25 years ago but that was it.

I took the plunge and after some sound advice from TSF members, now own a 14' Akios Fury and a 14' AFAW 6 and Bait, so was itching to give them a try.

Had intended on a few hours casting practice but other commitments put paid to that, so I went out last night on the (very) low tide and managed to pump 30 or so nice lugworm which would see me through todays' session. Much better results this time, but still a lot to learn.

Whilst the weather was far from ideal, nice and warm and sunny, I was surprised at how rough the sea still was after an extremely windy day yesterday. From my limited knowledge, I thought the swell, and the colour, might compensate a bit for the warm sun.

Tried a new area today, Rossall School for those that know it. Still fishing off sea defences, but lower to the water, so a bit more like beach fishing than the Gynn Wall.

I set up an hour or so before high water and the tide was racing in, making me have to retreat up the steps earlier than expected. Akios was out first with a 2 hook lug flapper. Pleased with how the rod casts, being light and tippy, I felt I could load and control the casts. Then set up the AFAW, which is far more of a beast and to be honest I think I need some practice to master loading it. Anyway, got a clipped down pennel rig with squid and lug out, just in case there were any better fish stupid enough to take a novice's bait!

Weed was a real pain early on, especially on the conti with a smaller tip ring. My leader knot was getting stuck on most retrieves, so good job I wasn't catching!

Fortunately that subdued a bit towards high water but it was 30 mins later that I had my first rattle. I struggled last time, missing a few bites, and wanted to wait longer today, as my coarse instincts are to strike when the tip moves! I had 2 such knocks but no fish and was worried I had missed my chance as the tide had turned now.
Another knock on the conti and i lifted into something, maybe more weed, or was it fish? Seconds later a small flattie broke the surface and a little plaice was swinging it's way to me :). Only a very small one, but most welcome, christening the new rod and it's another new species for me!!

Had another little tap a bit later but the tide was racing out now. I was all set to pack up but decided to give it 10 more minutes and follow the water moving my gear down onto the beach itself. Last cast I wound in a little whiting, again, another new species.

Avoided the blank, but some more questions posed now - how to cope with weed on the leader knot, need to practice casting the AFAW, still not too confident about whether to hit bites or leave them. But some positives, fished a new area, the conti rod casts well and am improving at pumping lug.

No pictures of fish today. Were small and as it was busy due to the good weather, I didn't want to be faffing about photographing small fish!!!

Again not an enthralling report of impressive fish so hope you don't mind me indulging myself by posting such reports :LOL:

View attachment 7859View attachment 7858
Great report & photos! You keep 'indulging yourself' and keep 'em coming! ??

Well done on catching.
Hope to get a chance this week sometime.

Well done mate, sounds like a great learning trip.

That’s not meant to be patronising - you’ll really only learn by getting out and doing it, and doesn’t sound as if you’re doing much wrong.

The conti rod and weed issue kind of highlights one of the sea angling conundrums.
It’s great to use lighter tippy gear, but sometimes it makes life a bit harder if the conditions are a bit awkward.

For example I do a lot of surf beach bass fishing, but tend to use heavier beachcasters because if you need a gripper, I found that my bass rod would pretty much fold up in the surf.
Even my lighter beachcasters (which I prefer to use) can struggle on nights when the surf is powerful. And sometimes it has a huge power behind it.
Add weed and you’ve got real issues!
The trick would be to touch ledger with a bass rod and let a weight roll around, which is a fantastic method but rightly or wrongly, I do usually like fishing with a tripod and two static beachcasters rather than holding a rod for hours on end.

In your case, you might get around the weed knot issue by using a tapered leader, if the ground you’re fishing over is pretty clean?

But sometimes you just have to compromise on gear to match the conditions, if they’re causing issues.
It’s not that the fish are too powerful - most U.K. rods will handle most U.K. fish, but weed and waves and tides will have their own way.

But I’m sure you’ll manage and in time you’ll build up a bugger rod/tackle collection to give you a wider range of options.
Cheers mate.

I get what you are saying and yes, every trip is a learning experience at the moment. I know the fundamentals as so much is transferable from my lifetime of coarse angling, but these types of issues are new to me, being specific to the sea.

Perhaps I didn't't explain it too well, but the rod was fine and I could hold bottom with no issues. It was just when I wound in, weed would accumulate up the line until it hit the leader knot (already using a tapered leader), and would jam in the tip ring. I could shake a bit off as I reeled, but I then had to stop winding and clear the weed off by hand before winding in those final few yards. Had I hooked a fish it would have possibly come off as the line was slack for a minute, unless I just hand lined it in!

A tapered leader, 15lb mainline and an albright knot means it wasn't overly bulky, but still too big, with a bit of weed, to slip through the tip ring. On the AFAW it seemed to come through better so I could pick it off as it went through the butt eye.

It is easier just to cut the line at the leader knot, strip the weed off the main line and retie the leader on, takes seconds as opposed to minutes.
Weed is a problem all beach anglers have at times, we just have to live with it ?.

Dave.

Well done on catching a few and a great report. Keep them coming!

Totally agree with Dave about the leader knot, once you tie it a few times its second nature and will be alot quicker than picking all that weed off your line.
Wait til the snotty may weed is here, that's horrible to get off the line!

Cheers mate.

I get what you are saying and yes, every trip is a learning experience at the moment. I know the fundamentals as so much is transferable from my lifetime of coarse angling, but these types of issues are new to me, being specific to the sea.

Perhaps I didn't't explain it too well, but the rod was fine and I could hold bottom with no issues. It was just when I wound in, weed would accumulate up the line until it hit the leader knot (already using a tapered leader), and would jam in the tip ring. I could shake a bit off as I reeled, but I then had to stop winding and clear the weed off by hand before winding in those final few yards. Had I hooked a fish it would have possibly come off as the line was slack for a minute, unless I just hand lined it in!

A tapered leader, 15lb mainline and an albright knot means it wasn't overly bulky, but still too big, with a bit of weed, to slip through the tip ring. On the AFAW it seemed to come through better so I could pick it off as it went through the butt eye.
Yes, I understood what you meant. I waffled a bit and probably wasn’t entirely clear lol.

I just meant that sometimes tackle isn’t ideal for certain conditions ie in this case for you it was smaller eyes and weed.
My example about lighter rods and strong surf was just another scenario.
Sometimes over time and testing you just realise some rods don’t work as well in every scenario.

Often these things don’t materialise until you actually chuck some gear in the sea and discover what happens.
It’s not that you’ve got the ‘wrong’ rod, just that it’ll give you something to factor in for that mark if it’s weedy - I have loads of rods now so mix and match depending on where I’m going.
But that sort of collection takes a bit of time!

As for the weed, it’s a constant issue for anglers. As you’re already using a tapered leader, the only other option would be a stronger braid straight through I guess.
Not an option I’d choose as I don’t get on too well currently with braid in a beach casting scenario, much prefer mono. That’s just me though.

You might find though that in time you’ll want a different rod for that mark if the weed is a common problem.
Hopefully it’s not!

I think I waffled again, sorry

Keep posting Steve, even if you are blanking at times, as it is great to read about any fishing trip, especially when some of us are stuck at home at the minute.

In Lockdown I was tempted by a spool of very expensive tapered line, to avoid the dread Leader Knot/weed thing which drives me a bit scatty. Annoying at the best of times, it becomes devastating when having to clear the leader knot results in the loss of a good fish. Anyway I haven't tried it yet. I will post an update when I do.

Nice to see a report from over this way! I have to say I've been the opposite this winter - enjoying my coarse fishing and only going to Cleveleys, 5 bar, Rossall etc for the infrequent prime weather/tide windows. Had some larger than average codling but not many. It never really got going in comparison to more usual seasons and so I chose to go chub and pike fishing and was glad I did as even the great anglers I know struggled to find much consistency to it. You certainly sound like you're enjoying the cross over so every credit Steve ? Once the bass arrive I suspect many will be a bit more enthusiastic about their sea fishing! Hopefully it'll be another good year and we can all get out and enjoy it. If I have any advice it would be to stay mobile and move about trying different areas at different stages of tide and always have at least one rod fishing good sized worm baits on a pennel paternoster - that's what's caught all the good codling and bass for me and my mates over decades. If conditions feel right it pays fish long and hard as the fish can arrive at pretty much any time in the ebb or flood - "go early stay late" has definitely caught fish when others are at home

Nice to see a report from over this way! I have to say I've been the opposite this winter - enjoying my coarse fishing and only going to Cleveleys, 5 bar, Rossall etc for the infrequent prime weather/tide windows. Had some larger than average codling but not many. It never really got going in comparison to more usual seasons and so I chose to go chub and pike fishing and was glad I did as even the great anglers I know struggled to find much consistency to it. You certainly sound like you're enjoying the cross over so every credit Steve ? Once the bass arrive I suspect many will be a bit more enthusiastic about their sea fishing! Hopefully it'll be another good year and we can all get out and enjoy it. If I have any advice it would be to stay mobile and move about trying different areas at different stages of tide and always have at least one rod fishing good sized worm baits on a pennel paternoster - that's what's caught all the good codling and bass for me and my mates over decades. If conditions feel right it pays fish long and hard as the fish can arrive at pretty much any time in the ebb or flood - "go early stay late" has definitely caught fish when others are at home
Cheers mate, thanks for the advice. Yes, I am enjoying the switch, but suspect I too will be back in freshwater now and then this year, especially after June 16th.

I hadn't thought about mobility. Its something I do when barbel and pike fishing, but hadn't considered it in the sea yet, have just been varying where and how far I cast from the same spot. I am still learning the contours of the areas I fish though, as the beach is so varied as you know. I'll keep trying!

Hiya Steve,
A result again mate.
It's usually a bit hit & miss at this time of year along the Fylde. Come the end of the month & things should really start picking up.
Had a spur of the moment sesh myself at the weekend, nowt exciting but i'll stick a report up shortly.
Tight lines.
Rick?

Back