• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Shakespeare Salt Surf reel

Anyone had/has one of these, seem pretty good for the price?
Afraid not old Bean! Shakespeare stuff is usually pretty good for the money though.

My only dealings with cheaper surf reels was a Mitchell Bluewater RZ 9000 which I bought when I couldn't get a Penn Surfblaster II due to Covid shortages. I've since picked up a 2nd hand Surfblaster for Norra lot of ££! The Mitchell reel is actually very good for the money, and Penn and Mitchell are all part of Pure Fishing anyway.

Thanks, I've had lots of Shakespeare coarse stuff, but not much in the way of salty, also looked at Shimano Aerlex, trouble is online I can't make out the size difference between them, seems only the £150 plus stuff gets any approval from the professional whiting harvesters:rolleyes:, anyway it's fun looking.

Shimano Aerlex,
You would want the Shimano Aerlex 10000 XSB for beach work.Or this which is a bargain at that price.Have just bought a pair.

Last edited:
Most of the reels are pass downs was Penn affinity/Muffbusters then morph into shakespeare/mitchell/etc etc as newer models replace at top end plus also many are generic reels as Wychwood is similar reel and others.

Most of the reels are pass downs was Penn affinity/Muffbusters then morph into shakespeare/mitchell/etc etc as newer models replace at top end plus also many are generic reels as Wychwood is similar reel and others.
Alot of the cheaper "big pit reels' will do the job?????

Thanks, I've had lots of Shakespeare coarse stuff, but not much in the way of salty, also looked at Shimano Aerlex, trouble is online I can't make out the size difference between them, seems only the £150 plus stuff gets any approval from the professional whiting harvesters:rolleyes:, anyway it's fun looking.
Aerlex are all same size 6-8000 apart from 10'000 which has longer spool/travel

Now ordered an Agility Surf 70, as my rod and reel will stand like a sculpture, doesn't matter what I get? Just completed my fifth lure blank in a row, those YouTube videos have a lot to answer for, might just wait until the fish are actually there!

There's only whiting in the sea anyone else posting other fish are using photoshop ?
What Whiting?? Last time we went out to try for the 'Huge Whiting' that we had been told had arrived here, all we could catch was baby Pout. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What Whiting?? Last time we went out to try for the 'Huge Whiting' that we had been told had arrived here, all we could catch was baby Pout. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
that’s cause you went out with Mithall and all he catch’s is baby fish bey some clonkers down slapton the other day ma Bute got a get on em not talk about em bey ?????????

that’s cause you went out with Mithall and all he catch’s is baby fish bey some clonkers down slapton the other day ma Bute got a get on em not talk about em bey ?????????
You'm right Tats, but not been on top form lately - chest worse & numerous medical appointments. Which end of Slapton do ee recommend ma bute? !!

Too many nudies up Dartmouth end in the summer - I might get me innocent mind corrupted! ??

Monument car park bud straight off there double sandeel Mac or squid sz 1/0 abberdeen just wack it out east fishing bey worms don’t get you big ting just pins fish baits for the better fish bud ?

Back