• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Shimano Reel Spool Cap Replacement Ideas?

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all,
recently got given a shimano from a family friend who no longer goes out fishing but hasn't used this reel in years and it has very little use, seems an older model built in Japan so hoping it'll serve me well as an estuary reel for my bass rods. Only issue is, the spool cap is missing, luckily the drag is at the rear so really I just need to cover it so the salt water doesn't get in? Thinking the best way to do this, as I think finding a spool will be unlikely on an older model like this. Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated, and if anyone knows anything about the reel. Tight lines,
Shimano Spool Cap LX4000.jpg
Shimano Side view LX 4000.jpg
Shimano Made In Japan LX 4000.jpg

This might seem like a daft idea, but if you can't get the proper part, what about a plastic bottle top, maybe with a smear of hot glue?

There is a complete Shimano custom GT4000 on eBay with a spare spool that might fit yours, currently £23.00 but it ends in 30mins.

Hi all,
recently got given a shimano from a family friend who no longer goes out fishing but hasn't used this reel in years and it has very little use, seems an older model built in Japan so hoping it'll serve me well as an estuary reel for my bass rods. Only issue is, the spool cap is missing, luckily the drag is at the rear so really I just need to cover it so the salt water doesn't get in? Thinking the best way to do this, as I think finding a spool will be unlikely on an older model like this. Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated, and if anyone knows anything about the reel. Tight lines,
View attachment 61410
View attachment 61411
View attachment 61412

Most internet searches will return with the Shimano ix400, which is a different reel. The exploded view link that @Trampster has posted is the ix4000

However, there is a LX3000 for sale on ebay, so it will give you an idea of what the spool nut looks like.

Like this,

s-l1600.jpg

You've probably gathered that the spool cap merely houses the push button spool release, whilst providing a cover, and that it serves no mechanical purpose in keeping the spool in place - the visible sprung wire does that job. So if you're not changing spools then a cover fashioned from a suitable bottle top is a good Health Robinson fix - an excellent suggestion there Mr Trampster 👍 A blob of blutak might also suffice ? Anything really that will keep water/salt/sand/grit etc at bay. Enjoy fishing it and happy bassing Remote Wanderer 🫰

Last edited:
Back