• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Short session at Maggy lane Southampton.

Bigfish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Defiantly not my favourite place to fish, but handy to where I live.
I had to pop out early before fishing so got here on high tide today 10.00.
Got the rods out, and cast 1st one out, then started to bait up the second rod when the 1st one went slack line, left it and cast the 2nd rod, real in the 1st and it is fish on, feels like a good lump.
Anybody who knows this place will confirm its deep water, that takes a bit off getting used to as its also VERY snaggy.
Anyway i can see a half descent fish coming in only to see its a Smut, so WTF is this doing here this time of year, came in at just under 3lb not huge but a good start, Also had some good Whitting, Pout, Dogfish and scholies, all on the smelliest rag and black lug bait left over from Seaford Saturday.
Was home after 4hr session whiting and Pout for Dinner yummy.
I still hate Maggy lane but there are always fish to be had, and thats why we go. 🎣🎣

Defiantly not my favourite place to fish, but handy to where I live.
I had to pop out early before fishing so got here on high tide today 10.00.
Got the rods out, and cast 1st one out, then started to bait up the second rod when the 1st one went slack line, left it and cast the 2nd rod, real in the 1st and it is fish on, feels like a good lump.
Anybody who knows this place will confirm its deep water, that takes a bit off getting used to as its also VERY snaggy.
Anyway i can see a half descent fish coming in only to see its a Smut, so WTF is this doing here this time of year, came in at just under 3lb not huge but a good start, Also had some good Whitting, Pout, Dogfish and scholies, all on the smelliest rag and black lug bait left over from Seaford Saturday.
Was home after 4hr session whiting and Pout for Dinner yummy.
I still hate Maggy lane but there are always fish to be had, and thats why we go. 🎣🎣
Its November ...... you can only catch whats there, good report

Nice report, and Blank avoided with a nice mix of species! Welll done! 🎣🎣👍👍

mag lane- it was known amongst my fishing m8s back in the day as the ' unmentionable place' it is surprising what does turn up there from time to time , but with the snags and pout hoards it was never a favorite spot, but id still take it over town quay:)

That’s what my pb bass was on, freelined pout tight to the rocks after dark - I had caught a few pout in between the smuts, little rays and basslets and found that when the pout were brought up from the depths, they would float on return and the incoming tide would push them up against the rocks. The bass were taking them off the surface like carp eating bread. So I freelined the next pout I caught on a bass rod and lil multi by letting it drift on the tide until it settled on the rocks. The ratchet on the rod started ticking away, so I counted to 10 and struck. Pb bass, my luck was in that night!

That’s what my pb bass was on, freelined pout tight to the rocks after dark - I had caught a few pout in between the smuts, little rays and basslets and found that when the pout were brought up from the depths, they would float on return and the incoming tide would push them up against the rocks. The bass were taking them off the surface like carp eating bread. So I freelined the next pout I caught on a bass rod and lil multi by letting it drift on the tide until it settled on the rocks. The ratchet on the rod started ticking away, so I counted to 10 and struck. Pb bass, my luck was in that night!
Quality. I've heard them taking pout off the surface before. Seen a couple of decent eels down there too

A fair bit of my early fishing learning was done there. On my doorstep and not fished it for a couple of years or so. There are definitely some surprise fish to be had there. Well done on your catches.

Hi there - I am thinking of giving this a go shortly, as have never fished Southampton before - are there any particular spots on Magazine Lane which will give you a better chance of avoiding the snags? Thanks!

I don't think so. Best advice l could give is to use lead lifts or at least when retrieving wind down hard and lift hard and reel as fast as you can with the rod tip high. This will help keep you clear of the snags. Just expect to lose gear and perhaps get a surprise fish.

Back