• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Silly question?

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I spent £14 on a pretend baby mackerel yesterday, bit of an impulse buy it must be said.
Last evening I took it out for a swim and ended up on Yarmouth Pier where it got knocked by a couple of, most likely, small bass. These were both very close to the pier structure.

It weighs 14g.
How far should I expect to be able to cast it?
I was using 20lb braid with no leader on my Shimano travel rod.
It wasn't going much over 30 feet I would have thought.

I am almost a complete numpty with lures.

TIA
Ian

Although it's a travel rod, I have cast a 4oz weight 70 yds with the rod.
Is it too stiff for 14g?

What sort of rod should I look at?

I've just looked and it's rated at 50-100g.
Therefore I am thinking it's a bit too powerful for 14g, bit obvious really having looked!
I may take a wander up the tackle shop later and have a look. I'll note the ratings this time as well.
Lures are a bit of a mystery to me but there are lots of opportunities to use them here so investigation is needed.

I've just looked and it's rated at 50-100g.
Therefore I am thinking it's a bit too powerful for 14g, bit obvious really having looked!
I may take a wander up the tackle shop later and have a look. I'll note the ratings this time as well.
Lures are a bit of a mystery to me but there are lots of opportunities to use them here so investigation is needed.

I’d look at something in the 10-30g kind of range for lure fishing, it’ll cover most of what you’d be likely to use.

I usually find myself converting grams into ounces when working things out, say to me “it’s rated at 85g” I’ll just look blank, say “it’s rated 3oz” and I get that! For spinning, I still use an old 11ft 2lb t/c shimano areo specimen rod, it makes a good float/light ledger rod too in some situations.

On the pier yes but from the shore, over a reef that goes out 50 yards, a bit more distance would help I think

You should be able to hand throw a lure of that size further than 10 yards. The rod you are using wont load for an average caster with a lure that light but it will still act as a lever so I would have thought 30-40 yards should be possible in calm conditions.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back