• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

simple bait

Another way of making it would be to “liquidise “a loaf of sliced bread, coarse anglers do it all the time , lots of youtube vids on the subject, you end up with very fine particles of bread that squeezed together in a lump make a bait that” clouds” when thrown in . If water or some other liquid is added it makes a paste dependent upon how much you use. You could add liquidised sardine, sandeel, mussell , lots of possibilities , I can see it certainly being a viable bait for Bream or Mullet .

Dave

By using uncooked flour you can make a stretchey, elastic, gluten rich dough that will stay on the hook and can be "flavoured" as a hook bait.

Using cooked bread will mean that it will break up more easily and be much more difficult to use as a hookbait, as heating hardens the gluten in the dough.
Probably very good as a ground bait or attractant though.

By using uncooked flour you can make a stretchey, elastic, gluten rich dough that will stay on the hook and can be "flavoured" as a hook bait.

Using cooked bread will mean that it will break up more easily and be much more difficult to use as a hookbait, as heating hardens the gluten in the dough.
Probably very good as a ground bait or attractant though.
We used that when we were kids back in the 50's - flour and water mix to make a large ball. Used it to catch small carp at my local mill pond. Tackle was a tank aerial, JP Morris fs reel, quill float, 4lb line and a size 12 hook. Also worked for minnows and gudgeon down the river. Garden worms for perch and brook trout.

Last edited:
Just thought that I'd have a play this afternoon and try making this bait. Bream are one of my favourite fish and as well as being good to eat, get a decent sized fish on light gear and its about getting it out before it pulls you in.

The long and short of it is.

1 tin sardines in oil, 125g net weight.
125g of plain flour, (actually it was 128g but for ease of remembering...).
16g water, (I weighed the whole lot after I'd made it).

All I did was empty the sardines and oil into a plastic bowl and add the flour one teaspoon at a time, I think it was 7 or 8, as I mixed it all together adding a little water as I went along.

The result is an oily dough that stinks of fish, quite pliable and elastic.
Nothing surprising in that.

"Great Ian" I hear you all say, "but how did it perform on a hook?"

Good question.

My prefered bream rig is a size 6 hook on a 10lb weighted hooklength which is tied onto the shockleader which passes through the sinker. The picture explains it better.

This rig worked very well for me last year on my lightest rod, just dropping it in off a jetty.

I baited this rig with a ball of the bait, not much more than pea sized, forming it into shape around the hook.
I dropped it into a pot of water a had a cup of coffee whilst jiggling it around every now and then. After 20 minutes it was still intact and showed no sign of breaking up. It may have absorbed water and expanded a bit.

I've split it into two lots and put it in the freezer so I'll be able to see if freezing affects it.

I know Johnny foreigner has a peculiar taste in food sometimes but I'm guessing that fish are pretty similar wherever they are.
If it catches bream in France I think it should work in the UK.

I've watched a few YouTube clips of people using this stuff and a variety of fish can be caught on it.

20210324_160331.jpg

For scale, it's a teaspoon.

I estimate there's the thick end of a hundred baits in that. At a cost of about 50p and 10 minutes to make it has to be worth a try.
I'll add that I'm the first to say that artificial baits are useless in my experience but I'm willing to give this one a go.

I'm already wondering if mackerel, herring, mussels etc would also work, perhaps squid whizzed in a liquidiser.

I'm already wondering if mackerel, herring, mussels etc would also work, perhaps squid whizzed in a liquidiser.
I think you are on the ball the ingredients are a personal choice. Thing is for most of the people using this bait the cost is a factor. For you it may be less so. I would say that based purely on what I have gleaned about this method of bait preparation a large can of pilchards in tomato sauce together with flour and very importantly Dried and sieved sand from the beach are the way to go. But there is no reason why you could not make a mix with tuna and sardines in there too but oil seems to be the common thing so make sure the fishy parts are in oil.
I will be very interested to hear how the bait works for you and will be posting my results later in the year

Just thought that I'd have a play this afternoon and try making this bait. Bream are one of my favourite fish and as well as being good to eat, get a decent sized fish on light gear and its about getting it out before it pulls you in.

All I did was empty the sardines and oil into a plastic bowl and add the flour one teaspoon at a time, I think it was 7 or 8, as I mixed it all together adding a little water as I went along.

Good question.

My prefered bream rig is a size 6 hook on a 10lb weighted hooklength which is tied onto the shockleader which passes through the sinker. The picture explains it better.

This rig worked very well for me last year on my lightest rod, just dropping it in off a jetty.

I baited this rig with a ball of the bait, not much more than pea sized, forming it into shape around the hook.
I dropped it into a pot of water a had a cup of coffee whilst jiggling it around every now and then. After 20 minutes it was still intact and showed no sign of breaking up. It may have absorbed water and expanded a bit.

I've split it into two lots and put it in the freezer so I'll be able to see if freezing affects it.

I know Johnny foreigner has a peculiar taste in food sometimes but I'm guessing that fish are pretty similar wherever they are.

I've watched a few YouTube clips of people using this stuff and a variety of fish can be caught on it.

View attachment 7635

I estimate there's the thick end of a hundred baits in that. At a cost of about 50p and 10 minutes to make it has to be worth a try.
I'll add that I'm the first to say that artificial baits are useless in my experience but I'm willing to give this one a go.

Nice one Ian. Yes it'll be good if a some liquidised ragworm made in to this dough worked well as it would not only bulk out and extend a quite pricey bait but give an alternative to salting it.

I'm thinking little pouches with a range of flavours in would be well handy to store in the freezer and you wouldn't be wasting a whole wrap of worm or pack of sandeel, etc in one go. So a cheap way of having a large variety of baits on hand if it's effective. Looking forward to seeing the results (y)

Good question.

View attachment 7635

Do you reckon a load of muscles will do the trick as well, used with the waste oil if you ate the sardines?
Or even mashed 50 50 with crab for bass.
If casted short distance will it break or fall off or is it worth putting bait elastic round it?

Do you reckon a load of muscles will do the trick as well, used with the waste oil if you ate the sardines?
If casted short distance will it break or fall off or is it worth putting bait elastic round it?
I think the idea is that this is a very cheap bait. You might be better using your crabs straight for bass?
Foraged mussels would be a cheap additive and you could always buy a bottle of pilchard oil to enhance the mix with a few drops or as you say leftover oil.

I think the idea is that this is a very cheap bait. You might be better using your crabs straight for bass?
Foraged mussels would be a cheap additive and you could always buy a bottle of pilchard oil to enhance the mix with a few drops or as you say leftover oil.
The videos I have watched of people making it shows them using fish oil that could be pilchard oil... I think the fishy' er the better :ROFLMAO:

I'd just use mussels and not bother with all the faff

I think you are on the ball the ingredients are a personal choice. Thing is for most of the people using this bait the cost is a factor. For you it may be less so. I would say that based purely on what I have gleaned about this method of bait preparation a large can of pilchards in tomato sauce together with flour and very importantly Dried and sieved sand from the beach are the way to go. But there is no reason why you could not make a mix with tuna and sardines in there too but oil seems to be the common thing so make sure the fishy parts are in oil.
I will be very interested to hear how the bait works for you and will be posting my results later in the year
I wondered about putting sand in and why.

To help grind the fish up? or to bulk it up and make it heavier so it stays on the bottom?

I can only think that it's for weight. However the rig I'll be using has a couple of shot pinched on. So no sand equals more fish, and therefore smell.

I think a short cast would be OK if the bait was clipped rather than flapping.
Give it some welly and I think you'd end up scraping it off the back of your head!

I'm know that mussels on their own also work but the idea with this is that it would be available straight out of the freezer as an additional bait used with conventional baits or on it's own if it works well.
Black bream are a favourite of mine and I usually use strips of squid as bait which is very cheap and easy to prepare.

Thanks, i just thought of smashing green hardbacks in with them rather than peelers.
You seem to be able to get loads of them.

I have actually caught a bass with a hard back just hooked on once.

I'd just use mussels and not bother with all the faff
I tried mussels once but to much mess (did see video of them in wrapping like a sausage which kept them together) that is why i asked about the mix above as pretty easy to end up with, you could even make when setting up on the beach just collect mussels there (and hard backs if found) and mix there and then.

To help grind the fish up? or to bulk it up and make it heavier so it stays on the bottom?

I can only think that it's for weight. However the rig I'll be using has a couple of shot pinched on. So no sand equals more fish, and therefore smell.

Give it some welly and I think you'd end up scraping it off the back of your head!

I'm know that mussels on their own also work but the idea with this is that it would be available straight out of the freezer as an additional bait used with conventional baits or on it's own if it works well.
Black bream are a favourite of mine and I usually use strips of squid as bait which is very cheap and easy to prepare.
I think i may try and see how it goes, could always wrap elastic round as another option, nothing much lost if all a failure, but plenty to gain if success.
As above post i find mussles on there own a bit of a mess (need to have a bit more patience in them perhaps)

I tried mussels once but to much mess (did see video of them in wrapping like a sausage which kept them together) that is why i asked about the mix above as pretty easy to end up with, you could even make when setting up on the beach just collect mussels there (and hard backs if found) and mix there and then.
I collect my mussels, take them home, shell them and leave them dry a bit on paper before freezing them in bags. I use a baiting tool then to fish them. They are still a bit fiddly but they are very good and plentiful bait

I think the sand just adds a bit of weight to the paste. As to casting it out? I have only seen it used given a light lobs over a few meters. I think the bait holds up pretty well in wave action but casting a distance no idea.

I'm guessing it's weight, maybe just freelined. I.m thinking something underneath the hook on a hair (small twist of heavy copper wire) to mould the paste around may give it a bit more resilience as opposed to just a hook shank

I collect my mussels, take them home, shell them and leave them dry a bit on paper before freezing them in bags. I use a baiting tool then to fish them. They are still a bit fiddly but they are very good and plentiful bait
Did not want to take back to freeze as you say a bit fiddly. There are plenty to get where i go.
Just thought of taking mixture with me and collecting at beach to use there and then for convenience. They may keep a day as well if moist and not dry out.

Did not want to take back to freeze as you say a bit fiddly. There are plenty to get where i go.
Just thought of taking mixture with me and collecting at beach to use there and then for convenience. They may keep a day as well if moist and not dry out.
It's the time and effort involved in shelling mussels is the downside. It is nice to take a few dozen ready shelled and toughened/drier especially in the colder months when I tend to use them more. Whipped onto the hook they will take power casting as well which I assume that the paste won't. They contain a large amount of moisture straight from the shell which I would think would greatly effect the texture of the paste. You won't know until you try though

Back