• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Skate fishing trip

if restrictions are lifted by then ?
Yep, I think Mark has contingency plans for that, but it may be difficult as Scotland has a different set of rules to us.

i got 10 /12 /14 hooks i can not get 150-200 lb line to knot well so crimps ,this is my planed rig , 12-16 ft pully rig 150-200 lbs then leader line ?60 -70 -80- 100 lbs-think 60 lbs but open to ideas , length about 5 rods length , main line braid 60 lb if reel changing mono something around 35 lb

i got 10 /12 /14 hooks i can not get 150-200 lb line to knot well so crimps ,this is my planed rig , 12-16 ft pully rig 150-200 lbs then leader line ?60 -70 -80- 100 lbs-think 60 lbs but open to ideas , length about 5 rods length , main line braid 60 lb if reel changing mono something around 35 lb
how do you cast a 16foot pulley ?

Grinner with comments like that it's no wonder why some southerners get short shift from locals. That and the insistence on calling lochs 'locks' etc and the piles of rubbish and excrement that have been left behind by the so called civilised. It's a beautiful country so let's all please give it the respect it's due. If it was north Wales many a camper would have been set on fire!

that'll be 8ft in half bit long for me 6ft is more than enough
thanks i was suddenly thinking people might put them wrapped in coils in a bucket like I have before using 14 foot did rigs for carp lol

Does the Fishlocker not do a demo video on knotting heavy nylon?

how do you cast a 16foot pulley ?
14 ft rods so not a problem, 11ft is about my normal drop to cast , but mr grinner saying 6 ft is ok so will start with some thing around that length first , and see who the tide moves them and then adjust them maybe

If I may add my tuppence worth having caught dozens of the buggers. 4 - 6ft of 250lb mono to a swivel then a simple running ledger. 10 or 12/0 and forget the stupid baits the size of a 50lb tope you see on forums, mackeral flapper works just fine or a flapper of a spotty dog. Crimp the mono. The stupid big baits do nothing but attract vermin.

Not a lot of mark around Oban, most shore marks are in the Sound. Don`t forget to take a bag of potato, if you don`t catch a skate, attach the bag, throw in and wind back, very little difference to hauling in a skate.

If I may add my tuppence worth having caught dozens of the buggers. 4 - 6ft of 250lb mono to a swivel then a simple running ledger. 10 or 12/0 and forget the stupid baits the size of a 50lb tope you see on forums, mackeral flapper works just fine or a flapper of a spotty dog. Crimp the mono. The stupid big baits do nothing but attract vermin.

Not a lot of mark around Oban, most shore marks are in the Sound. Don`t forget to take a bag of potato, if you don`t catch a skate, attach the bag, throw in and wind back, very little difference to hauling in a skate.
this is the sort of information i like straight to the point .

Might also add, certain sellers on e bay and on F/book will offer all sorts of "fancy" must have rigs for skate (and shark) with beads and spoons and lights and rattles and uncle Tom whatever. Ignore them, keep it simple, basic running ledger, obviously a shock leader or rubbing length whatever you want to call it.

Back