• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Slapton Again

KaiH

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I headed off to Slapton this morning expecting a plague of whiting so only put in a couple of squid heads and wings and two mackerel fillets intending to use the whiting as bait.

I arrived at 6.15 and fishing by 6.30. Bait still frozen so a two hook flapper and a tentacle on each hook. After 10 minutes of nothing I brought in to rebait but found the tentacles untouched, very strange. I decided to put out the other rod with half a big squid head on a 5/0. Within 10 minutes the rod is bent over and line peeling off. A nice smooth hound was landed after chasing it down the beach a bit.

As it was getting light I had my first whiting on the flapper rig followed by a couple of dogfish. I then had a drop back on the flapper rig and assume a whiting or a dog until it started fighting. Another smooth hound and a bit bigger than the first. This was on a size one and a tiny piece of squid. I missed two more good takes on the small hooks before all went quiet at high tide and no more bites.

I finished on 2 hounds, 3 dogs and 3 whiting.

As I was packing up there was a lot of excitement from some bird watchers about a small seagull trying to eat my bait. Apparently its a Laughing Gull from America. They were gathered around where I was fishing and some had travelled from Wales just to see it.

Attachments

• 20230111_070144.JPG
    20230111_070144.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230111_080408.JPG
    20230111_080408.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230111_074848.JPG
    20230111_074848.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230111_074907.JPG
    20230111_074907.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230111_094122.JPG
    20230111_094122.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 29
I headed off to Slapton this morning expecting a plague of whiting so only put in a couple of squid heads and wings and two mackerel fillets intending to use the whiting as bait.

I arrived at 6.15 and fishing by 6.30. Bait still frozen so a two hook flapper and a tentacle on each hook. After 10 minutes of nothing I brought in to rebait but found the tentacles untouched, very strange. I decided to put out the other rod with half a big squid head on a 5/0. Within 10 minutes the rod is bent over and line peeling off. A nice smooth hound was landed after chasing it down the beach a bit.

As it was getting light I had my first whiting on the flapper rig followed by a couple of dogfish. I then had a drop back on the flapper rig and assume a whiting or a dog until it started fighting. Another smooth hound and a bit bigger than the first. This was on a size one and a tiny piece of squid. I missed two more good takes on the small hooks before all went quiet at high tide and no more bites.

I finished on 2 hounds, 3 dogs and 3 whiting.

As I was packing up there was a lot of excitement from some bird watchers about a small seagull trying to eat my bait. Apparently its a Laughing Gull from America. They were gathered around where I was fishing and some had travelled from Wales just to see it.

Nice report & photos Kai - sounds like a reasonable session considering the way Slapton has been fishing recently. 🎣🎣👍👍

Well done on the hounds Kai . Perhaps fishing the early morning tides into daylight is the way to avoid being tinged out down there .

Well done on the hounds Kai . Perhaps fishing the early morning tides into daylight is the way to avoid being tinged out down there .

That's how I've been doing most of my fishing recently.

Oh .. I thought you were up the Blackpool sands end..😎
That beach is over 3 miles long Flaps, so from Kai's photo, I guessed he was roughly halfway along. 👍👍

Do you think it makes a difference where you try along or just give it a go and see?

Great report..... nice smuts.
We are very lucky on the South Coast you had a rare bird, recently on Chesil we had the Northern Lights flickering away, and last time out had huge flocks of starlings doing their thing.
A few decent fish always helps but as anglers we do get to see things that others never will.

Back