• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales Slow day with a fast finish.

glandyman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hopped on the boat at Laugharne at 7.15 am chugged with the ebb tide , with occasional fishless drifts for mackerel, along to Tenby . We collected a few mackerel near Tenby and put the handbrake on in Caldey sound. Two hours and only 3 dogs and a baby huss to show. But Gary did hook into a cuttle fish which was squirting water like a whale before it came off. Long story short we tried a few marks and drifts on the flood tide back to base with the final session at anchor about 200 yards off Gingst beach near the area where a 18lb bass was caught a few weeks ago . Using mackerel strips for bait I had a 44cm bass which a guest was grateful for but Alun had a beauty of 7 and a half pound ( weighed not estimated) using the front half of a mackerel. He went a pale when he relialised he had used a 12lb trace by mistake. Shortly after I had a cracking take which resulted in a 6lb bass , again weighed. The reason I mention weighing is that Alun and me are built for comfort rather than speed you have to bear that in mind when looking at the photos. 15 Mins later Ken had a cracking run and boated a 25lb tope and there were another couple of bite offs on bass traces. We had to pack in then so I guess we had about an hour of productive fishing out of 12 hours , still we had a happy ending. Can't seem to download my own pics? This pic is Alun.

allan bass (1).JPG

Last edited:
Agreed , 12 hours chewing the cud with good company , plenty of tea and cake. The fish are a Brucey bonus.
Nice enough. I bet everyman and his dog have been fishing Ginst the past couple of weeks. Surprised you didn't get any bass Pembroke end

Nice enough. I bet everyman and his dog have been fishing Ginst the past couple of weeks. Surprised you didn't get any bass Pembroke end
The wind prevented us from getting out on the bass marks so we fished inshore trying some of the lesser spots and just hoping to spot bird activity . There was one brief moment of bird action but there were only mackerel or schoolies under them.

Great report, well done sticking with it and catching some nice fish in the end ?

Back