• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Slow session!

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all, rain and wind finally stopped, so I grabbed the big rods (they were still around after unpacking from my hols) and joined a mate on a local mk for a bit of ray bashing.
It was going to be a low water session on a mark we both fancied that is normally fished over high ....first time for everything I guess, although I do believe others fish here at all states of the tide.

Well it was sloooow...the session started with a few small bites which we both missed...then eventually I landed a small strap.PXL_20230402_090526015~2.jpglooking at the pic now, it is hard to believe that the last fish I had on that rod, less than 2 weeks ago, weighed 270lb ..😳
Enough of that, back to the sloooow fishing.....it got slower 😔

Feeling bored I scanned the shoreline and found a couple of lost leads, then noticed a fish bobbing about close in
Eventually it came in and was a surprise Shad!....first I've ever seen....shame it was a bit battered and dead ☹️.... pretty thing I'm guessing.PXL_20230402_124928857~2.jpg

Finally a big slack line, and a bit of weight. I'd found a target fish, not the type I was hoping for, but my first thornback for a while, and a very welcome sight on a sloooow day!....did I say it was sloooow 😆PXL_20230402_123107745~2.jpgcheers Si.

Nice report mate, very good pictures as well. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Great report & photos as always Si! Well done - nice Thorny too! 🎣🎣👍👍

That’s better bey weird seeing a Shad altho isn’t the bc ment to be one of the main breeding grounds for them apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️slow up there atm big comp there weekend 100+ fished only 18 weghed in so I’d say you had a rather bumper sesh there si 👍👍👍

That’s better bey weird seeing a Shad altho isn’t the bc ment to be one of the main breeding grounds for them apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️slow up there atm big comp there weekend 100+ fished only 18 weghed in so I’d say you had a rather bumper sesh there si 👍👍👍
Cheers Tat, felt bloody slow to me 🤔....2 fish is pretty poor for my channel marks.
May well have caught more as the tide flooded as it was too bright for the very shallow depth we had ....just did 2 down and 2 up from low and had the ray just before leaving.
Normally I fish the mk 4 up 1 down.

I saw a video from Somerset Tony on youtube last night, he fished Blue Anchor reef while the match was on and had 2 cracking bass, 8lb and 9lb.

Cheers Tat, felt bloody slow to me 🤔....2 fish is pretty poor for my channel marks.
May well have caught more as the tide flooded as it was too bright for the very shallow depth we had ....just did 2 down and 2 up from low and had the ray just before leaving.
Normally I fish the mk 4 up 1 down.
If it’s where I think, you caught 50% of what I usually get, the other 50% is skinny dogfish 🙄

That’s aquarium sand compared to those nasty slippery pebbles at minehead. After a session on there I’m almost tempted to walk back past the shelters in bare feet to let em recover but knowing my luck will find a pile of fresh dog crap forcing it’s way between me toes 😅

Back