• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Small Rod for Fly Fishing

Dutchman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
I have fly rods 9ft & 10ft i think off the top of my head, alright for reservoir/lake fishing where there is nothing behind you on the back cast.

But i have a small 6ft river rod.

The rivers/streams i fish are full of trees either side so no way of casting.

Do you think the small rod will be ok with fly reel & line to "fly fish" these rivers where all i am after is to whip the fly to on place?

I have fly rods 9ft & 10ft i think off the top of my head, alright for reservoir/lake fishing where there is nothing behind you on the back cast.

But i have a small 6ft river rod.

The rivers/streams i fish are full of trees either side so no way of casting.

Do you think the small rod will be ok with fly reel & line to "fly fish" these rivers where all i am after is to whip the fly to on place?
A pipe bomb with a jetex fuse should work - just like being a kid again :ROFLMAO:

I will try the reel on the rod and just mess around on grass outside, wont be using much line anyway only enough to get a few yards, so no need to worry as how the line will run through eyes when casting, i can just pull some off and have it slack if needed. The weight of line should be enough to run through eyes.

Why not try side casting up & down stream with a proper fly rod?

Why not try side casting up & down stream with a proper fly rod?
I would rather use a small rod, i know full well i would be happy with it rather than moving all the time through trees etc with a big rod and knowing for sure the fly would end op 50% stuck in a branch.
I am happy as well just using a £3 kiddies telescopic rod just in small river with a worm and split shot for weight and flicking 10ft of line out.

I would rather use a small rod, i know full well i would be happy with it rather than moving all the time through trees etc with a big rod and knowing for sure the fly would end op 50% stuck in a branch.
I am happy as well just using a £3 kiddies telescopic rod just in small river with a worm and split shot for weight and flicking 10ft of line out.
Don't forget the cup of Ovaltine when you get back home and early to bed. ;)

Depending on what your 6ft river rod was made for, is it a fly rod or quite a stiff ledger/feeder rod, if its very stiff you might find it difficult to load with the light fly line to flick it out, plus if its stiff you might find that you keep bumping fish off due to not enough flex in the rod. If its flexible enough you could use it bit like Tenkara method.

Last edited:
Depending on what your 6ft river rod was made for, is it a fly rod or quite a stiff ledger/feeder rod, if its very stiff you might find it difficult to load with the light fly line to flick it out, plus if its stiff you might find that you keep bumping fish off due to not enough flex in the rod. If its flexible enough you could use it bit like Tenkara method.
No it's not a fly rod, and there is a bit of flex in it.
When it's dry i am going to put reel on and just try see if it will flow through rings, i hardly need much to run through as wont be casting that far (i dont think) and if its floating down stream th weight should take it if i pull slightly off reel a bit of slack.

Will you be entering the water to fish or going to fish from the bank, sometimes a short rod can hinder more than help in tight areas fishing from the bank as the rod isnt long enough to get you over marginal growth when try to retrieve you line/fly so you end up constantly trying to unhook you fly from marginal rubbish.

Will you be entering the water to fish or going to fish from the bank, sometimes a short rod can hinder more than help in tight areas fishing from the bank as the rod isnt long enough to get you over marginal growth when try to retrieve you line/fly so you end up constantly trying to unhook you fly from marginal rubbish.
Not entering, but understand your point, but i would rather use the smaller one as the rivers/streams i intend to try are only narrow anyway.

Was going to ask you as i think you said last year that the club/assosiation you are in uses the river from the toll bridge up to Dolgellau, if that so what cost is a season ticket for that stretch?

Not entering, but understand your point, but i would rather use the smaller one as the rivers/streams i intend to try are only narrow anyway.

Was going to ask you as i think you said last year that the club/assosiation you are in uses the river from the toll bridge up to Dolgellau, if that so what cost is a season ticket for that stretch?
Theres a 3 year waiting list to get into the club, what age are you cus if over a certain age there is no waiting list. Its around about £130 a year but first year there is a one off joining fee of around £100 aswell. The club has a massive amount of water to choose from so well worth the money.

Theres a 3 year waiting list to get into the club, what age are you cus if over a certain age there is no waiting list. Its around about £130 a year but first year there is a one off joining fee of around £100 aswell. The club has a massive amount of water to choose from so well worth the money.
Thanks.
I lost this post/reply.
I did look before and seen that they do have a lot of locations.
I would only be interested in that stretch.
I am over 65.

This time i am not 100% sure of getting a permit for rivers so will have to be cheap, i think the one i was in last year will suit otherwise as only a short distance from where i am located.

A rod license for us oldies (retired) is a reasonable price from gov.co.uk.

No idea dont freshwater fish now but still I might go back to fly fishing I still have most of the gear …
As long as you don't go for sea trout or salmon you will be fine.

Salmon and sea trout licence if I remember were a lot more expensive properly still are .
There you go:

Think I will give that a miss this year but thanks I have book marked the link for later use
The rod license lasts for 12 months.

Still give it a miss. Can not see me using the fly rod much next year but will take it with me in the Moho .
easy to get an online ticket for a day or two .
I have one which is used for fly fishing (trout) and taking the grandkids fresh water fishing in their local lake.

Back