• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Something new……

Kevin3110

Reaction score
I’ve never tried luring for Squid 🦑 before but fancy a crack at them.

Ordered a couple of the Shimano Clinch Sephia lures last night in the size #3. Nipped into my local today and spotted some smaller #2.5 12g ones so picked one up00E7ECC1-CC95-4AEE-BB51-1AA7F35056A1.jpeg
For under a £5 I was pretty impressed after sticking it under my UV torch 😎F4871852-7FA7-4707-993A-0B6E7ED5D8AE.jpeg
Only time will tell if it’s something I’ll do much of but I’m definitely going to give it a go, even if it’s only a handful of times a year 🎣🦑🦑

I watch a you tube channel "Smash fishing" and he fishes two at a time sometimes, large one on bottom and a smaller one on a dropper above.
I’ll take a look at that. These Shimano ones are a #3.0 but I do have a #2.5 I picked up locally that I can try above a bigger one. I’m going to pick up a couple more for options but I’m trying not to go too mad until I’ve given it a couple of goes 😁 can do without another big lure collection 🤦‍♂️😂

There are probably a good few videos on the tube, I am sure TAF, Graeme Pullen, has done one as well on the south coast.

Got anywhere in mind. Reports of squid up this way are rare although no reason for them not to be around in numbers
Watched a "trawlermen"programme on telly a few years back and one of the boats was fishing for them close inshore NE Scotland, just can't remember where exactly.

Got anywhere in mind. Reports of squid up this way are rare although no reason for them not to be around in numbers
Doc Bach in Holyhead mate throws up a few and there’s a YouTube video by Ceirion Parry ( Anglesey Tight Lines ) catches one on a jig. I’ve also been told the Breakwater and a couple of the lit up piers/harbour walls along the Straits could be worth a go.

I watch a you tube channel "Smash fishing" and he fishes two at a time sometimes, large one on bottom and a smaller one on a dropper above.
I used to watch him, but his voice made my teeth itch, and his habit of shouting everything got a bit much. On 2 different nights, he got totally pissed doing a live show from his shed, and proceeded to slag off (in very bad language) quite a few other Youtube fishing channels.

Binned him after that. He might have improved a bit or grown up now. His mate Inglorious Fishing isn't much better. 🙄🙄

I used to watch him, but his voice made my teeth itch, and his habit of shouting everything got a bit much. On 2 different nights, he got totally pissed doing a live show from his shed, and proceeded to slag off (in very bad language) quite a few other Youtube fishing channels.

Binned him after that. He might have improved a bit or grown up now. His mate Inglorious Fishing isn't much better. 🙄🙄
I’ve seen a few but luckily never come across that video he’s done. Bumped into him whilst hound fishing earlier in the year and had a brief chat, seems ok from my limited interactions with him.

That's because there are far too many being done now... :(

Ian.
I've had to give up with a lot of Youtube accounts I was subscribed to, because I just don't seem to have the time I had last year to watch them, especially when some folk are putting out videos of an hour or more, sometimes twice a week.

The only Youtube vids i watch these days are the Tonys Tackle Sea Match ones, normally a good watch, well I like them anyway. :)

Ian.

I’ve never tried luring for Squid 🦑 before but fancy a crack at them.

It is quite addictive Kev, and at some stage you will get a face full of ink, be they have quite an accurate shot.

We fish for them from Oct through to Feb and sometimes March.

I use two jigs on a string spaced about 4ft apart, the top lure being a pink Red Gill squid jig, and the bottom lure a Green Red Gill jig, but sometimes I change this for simple plastic luminous jig.

You will always get squid on the top Jig, but the lower jig will often produce Cuttle.

I had a couple of very good sessions in Oct and filled the bait freezer with 60 cuttle, and 40 sizable squid.

Back