• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sonik Vader 15 ft Beachcaster 3 piece rod eyes failure

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi I bought a Sonik Vader 15ft 3 piece rod 3 weeks ago and after 3 trips the zirconium top ring and 3rd ring liners have popped out . I bought the rod from Fishing Republic online and am having problems sorting out a replacement as they insist I drive 30 miles to have the problem assessed even though I sent them pics etc. Sonik no help either even though they say they give 12 months warranty,
The rod eyes failed with a 5 oz lead on sand with a 4 lb bass on the line. Slashed my 40lb braid and lucky to get the fish ashore. Its a great blank let down with poor line guides in this instance.
So back to my old glass beachcasters.

Cheers

Attachments

• tip ring failure.jpg
    tip ring failure.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 12
Sonik are known for good C/S. I expect the rod was knock in transit which explains the failures. I have owned and abused there rods and not had a problem. (I know loads of people who still own sonik gear) i would take the rod back for a replacement, plus contact Sonik again, as i say they are usually pretty good.

Yes I was surprised I have Sonik carp rods and have given them a beating, falling out of trees and off logs and some nice double figure fish. So I wasn't expecting this problem with the beachcaster , especially as I had already caught a nice smooth hound, dogs and several good 40cm+ bass on the rod on 3 previous sessions. The top ring shouldn't have just popped out and slid down the line ?

Thanks for the comment. In the end I couldn't get any reasonable outcome for a replacement from either fishing republic/go outdoors without driving 30 miles to nearest shop to have the fault "assessed". Costing loads of money in fuel/time and they don't have one on stock anyway. Sonik just pass the buck to fishing republic.
So I have epoxied in braid compatible zirconium type rings into the failed rings.
Two sessions fished and seems fine catching dogs and bass.
cheers tight lines

Attachments

• Aldwick Beach Fishing Nov 2022.jpg
    Aldwick Beach Fishing Nov 2022.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 5
I don’t know if it’s a Sonik thing but my mate has two Sonik somethings and the eye inserts were forever popping out if he dropped a rod or they blew over etc

Yep I repaired the ring inserts Ok but didn't buy another Sonik . I opted for two Ultimate Extreme Beach 420s from Fishdeal cheap in Black Friday Sale overall finish is good although I'm not too keen on the folding butt ring .
Two sessions fished so far and I have been quite impressed these Ultimate rods have much more through action casting 7oz no problem.
I find the Sonik is pretty good but a bit too tippy in the cast it takes quite a bit to get a bend into it for the long lob.

Swell and breakers have been a pain with plenty of weed around.Hoping for a calmer spell.

Back