• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Spigot on Penn Tidal XR 390 3 section.

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Any recommendations for easing the spigot on the second section as the one I have received jams when I tried to put it in the first section.
Appreciate all sensible replies
Thanks peeps.

Fine wet & dry paper will help you, but little by little. If you apply a marker pen on the spigot, it will help you to see where any high points are if you apply, let it dry and then put together and take apart.

Any recommendations for easing the spigot on the second section as the one I have received jams when I tried to put it in the first section.
Appreciate all sensible replies
Thanks peeps.
Unless you have access to a lathe then any kind of sandpaper no matter how fine could leave flat spots.

Get some lube, anything really even butter. Put on the male joint and start to screw it into the female just like a woodscrew. Few turns at a time. Clean up, check it and try again with fresh lube. Might take a few tries but you will end up with a perfect fit and no flat spots. Obviously there are better lubes, 3 in 1 etc but all work. Just remember to clean well off after each attempt and that includes inside the female. I use cotton buds for that and meths for the cleaning.

Unless you have access to a lathe then any kind of sandpaper no matter how fine could leave flat spots.

Get some lube, anything really even butter. Put on the male joint and start to screw it into the female just like a woodscrew. Few turns at a time. Clean up, check it and try again with fresh lube. Might take a few tries but you will end up with a perfect fit and no flat spots. Obviously there are better lubes, 3 in 1 etc but all work. Just remember to clean well off after each attempt and that includes inside the female. I use cotton buds for that and meths for the cleaning.
Carbon fibre rods..?

Ok but I use lighter fuel(zippo) for cleaning reels before oiling and greasing. I have silicone grease (ex motorbike) + 3 in 1 oil to hand.

Ok but I use lighter fuel(zippo) for cleaning reels before oiling and greasing. I have silicone grease (ex motorbike) + 3 in 1 oil to hand.

Silicone grease is ideal and the lighter fluid for cleaning. All you are doing is lubricating the joint and removing microscopic carbon fibres which act as an abrasive to skim the internal surfaces of the joint. Takes a while but gives a perfect fit.

I sorted it out last evening, used some 600grit emery paper and a 2b pencil lead to cover the spigot. Now fits fine, thanks for all the comments/assistance etc. No lubricant or lighter fluid needed. (y)

A little Silicon spray does the job for me .?? Relatively cheap and you can keep it in your tackle box...
The answer to this is manufacturers work to extreme tolerances and this is for a good reason .
Mainly to allow for wear ..My humble advice is do not use abrasive material on your spigot.
If you decide to sand down the spigot you run the chance of losing the top section of your rod
Whilst casting..As many have found to their cost.
There is a saying in engineering .right and tight is best..
Loose and sloppy belongs in the potty..

A little Silicon spray does the job for me .?? Relatively cheap and you can keep it in your tackle box...
The answer to this is manufacturers work to extreme tolerances and this is for a good reason .
Mainly to allow for wear ..My humble advice is do not use abrasive material on your spigot.
If you decide to sand down the spigot you run the chance of losing the top section of your rod
Whilst casting..As many have found to their cost.
There is a saying in engineering .right and tight is best..
Loose and sloppy belongs in the potty..
I used some 600 grip paper and wrapped it round the spigot very lightly rubbed, then used a 2b pencil lead all over the spigot. I managed to get a really tight fit into the joint. Will test it out when fishing next week. As long as the ankle biters are still at school.

Last edited:
Back